Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • upgrading my dawes
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

So I really want to do some touring on this bike

I think it’s from around 1980. The gearing is just too high for touring.. So can i fit a triple or whack a different cassette on the back with a bigger cog for hills? At the moment fully loaded i have to climb out of the saddle the entire time

soobalias
    Free Member

really want to? really want to do a lot, or really want to do try a bit?
    really want to tour or really want to tour on that bike?

how old/worn is that drivetrain?
    is it a cassette or freewheel, 5 or 6 speed?
    whats the rear spacing?
    what is the rear mech capacity?
    whats the chainline?
    hows the BB?
    what state are the rims/braking surfaces?
    what size are the wheels?

I suggest you get the BB out for a look/clean/replace…before you do anything else that requires money

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well i’ve had the bike 5 years mainly for commuting but have done a few 100 milers loaded up (but like i say climbing cleeve hill out the saddle isn’t fun)

i’ve already got 5 other bikes so don’t really want to buy a new one. I wanted to do a bit of weekend touring with the girlfriend.

It’s on the original chain and cassette and surprisingly is still okay (well my mechanic mate was surprised the chain wasn’t well worn)

Cassette – freewheel 6 speed
    Wheels – replaced the rear with a 700c front is on the original.

Maybe i could either put a long range 6 speed freewheel or put a triple on the front?

Pickers

I did a similar thing with an old Holdsworth 531 bike that looked pretty much the same as yours.
    Get any long cage rear mech – 6 speed will be fine without indexing so any make will do, ditto the front (to fit an mtb triple…) – friction shifters are great for this. Then get a cheap mtb chain set and BB to match, a chain (you’ll need a longer one) and a 6 speed block of you choice if the current one is worn.
    The classifieds here are a good lace to look for bits.
    Fit and go enjoy, touring’s great!

trickydisco
    Free Member

awesome.. id like to improve the brakes as well so mabye i need smoe long drops?

Did you go with a long range 6 speed cassette pickers?

Pickers

IIRC, It was a while ago now, I think it may have been 14-26 or -28.
    Either will be fine with a 22 or 24 granny up front.
    To be honest, I wouldn’t spend a lot of money (I didn’t ..), just enough to see if you like it and want to go further.

monkeyp

I keep reading the title of this thread as ‘upgrading my dwarfs’

trickydisco
    Free Member

I keep reading the title of this thread as ‘upgrading my dwarfs’

😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘upgrading my dawes’ is closed to new replies.