Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • upgrading my 3 x 9 to …..?
  • coconut
    Free Member

Hell all – I’m after some recommendations for upgrading my 2013 Giant Anthem (as per below photo) which has a 3 x 9 groupset, I want to install a 1 x 11 or 1 x 12. It needs to be in the region of £250 for a new groupset. I think I have narrowed it down to Shimano SLX M700 1 x 11 (11 – 46T), or SRAM NX Eagle 1 x 12 (11 – 50T). Which would you choose and any feedback greatly appreciated.

My requirements are:

1. Minimum of 11 x 46T, with a 32 front chain ring
    2. Maximum budget around £250
    3. 175mm crank arms
    4. I have a push fit BB installed and don’t want to change it

SRAM
    https://www.evocycles.co.uk/sram-nx-eagle-dub/mpn:SGS8076000/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiajgypOE6QIVn4BQBh1TPQsHEAYYAyABEgK6LPD_BwE

Shimano SLX
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/SLX-M7000-1×11-32-Groupset-p65605/

qwerty
    Free Member

a dropper post!

Saccades
    Free Member

What qwerty said.

coconut
    Free Member

Well I’m actually thinking of that as well 🙂

kevs
    Free Member

Ive got 3×9 on my cargo bike, It’s got an 11-42 cassette so 1×9 is probably feasible on the cheap with money left over for a dropper.

chiefgrooveguru

The cheaper SRAM mechs are pretty awful. You don’t need to change the cranks, just get rid of the three shifting rings and put a narrow wide on there. If you are changing the cranks then I’d only go with 175mm if you’re particularly long of leg.

montgomery
    Free Member

Yes, keep your existing cranks as above. I’d steer clear of 11 speed 11-46 Shimano cassettes, the gap between the two big rings is huge. You could bring in a mech, shifter, Sunrace cassette, chain and NW chainring well in budget.

coconut
    Free Member

Well I’m 6:2ft so always prefered 175mm cranks.

coconut
    Free Member

I’m liking the suggestion of keeping the existing cranks and removing the 24t and 42t chainring and replacing the 30t with a narrow-wide 32 or 34t. I have priced it up on a few websites and all comes in around £150ish.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sunrace 11 speed 11/46 is a good alternative to Shimano & SRAM.

coconut
    Free Member

what’s the advantage of the Sunrace over the Shimano cassette ? guessing the gearing ratio is a bit more favourable.

qwerty
    Free Member

See if Works Components do a chainring to suit your cranks.

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/chainrings-19-c.asp

qwerty
    Free Member

Yea, the jumps are better, not so big.

qwerty
    Free Member

Go BrandX Ascend on a dropper if you do, great price, great piece of kit, 2 year warranty, only upgrade could be a Bontrager lever from Triton.

sirromj

Not found an issue with Shimano SLX 1×11. If you’ve kept 3×9 up until now, might as well go 1×11 and save a few bob. I’ve got 1×9 on my commuter, using an old 3×9 crankset (took a hand file to the granny ring bolt hole mounts) but there are no big hills around here.

continuity
    Free Member

Secondhand m8000 would go for that easily, or m7000 and money for a dropper?

coconut
    Free Member

current thinking is

11 – 46t Sunrace cassette
    Shimano SLX derailleur, shadow + (long)
    generic 32t chainring
    Shimano shifters
    Shimnao SLX chain

Spare money for more beer 🙂 or a dropper..

qwerty
    Free Member

That sounds like a sound set up – I’d just double check the capacity of the rear mech you need (medium or long cage).

Saccades
    Free Member

Sounds v similar to what I did to mine, bitd.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Personally, I’d say:
    SRAM NX Eagle 11-50 cassette
    SRAM 12sp chain
    Shimano SLX 12sp mech & shifter
    Praxis Steel 104bcd WaveTech chainring

Job done.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘upgrading my 3 x 9 to …..?’ is closed to new replies.