Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Upgrading from Windows XP?
  • ask1974
    Free Member

I’ve already moved to OS-X for home computing but we still sit on Windows at the office, this won’t change in a hurry as we need Windows for programming many of the systems we supply 😥

So, having sat on XP Pro for the last god knows how long where to next? Vista was a train crash and it sounds like Microsoft are about to do a u turn on eight, seven?

Thanks.

richmars

I’d say wait until the updated 8.
    (By the way, Vista was fine if the hardware was up to it, which it often wasn’t, so expect to upgrade the pc’s as well.)

Cougar

A good start is http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Windows Blue (8.1) looks like it might address a lot of the complaints levelled at W8. Might be worth either hanging on till it’s released or going with 7 if you can find a copy.

software4students.co.uk do heavily discounted versions if you’re a student or work in academia.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I like 8 and I liked Vista before that, missed 7.

I have set up 8 with a thing called classic shell which mimics any old windows operating system.

I’ve set mine up to look like XP.

mogrim

Vista was fine, despite the reputation. 7’s OK, too. In fact, MS makes perfectly good OS software, and has done since XP SP2. Certainly as reliable as any other manufacturer, despite what their marketing might tell you.

Why do you feel the need to update XP?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve used every version since windows 2. Every version has been absolutely fine.

leffeboy

I’ve moved a few machines from XP Pro to 8 and it’s been good but do as Cougar suggests and run the advisor first. Note that for going from anything other than 7 to 8 you’ll need to reinstall all your other programs as well.

If you aren’t upgrading but rather getting new machines then 8 without a doubt

mogrim

I’ve used every version since windows 2. Every version has been absolutely fine.

Windows ME was a pile of crap. NT4 was OK with enough memory, but even then blue-screened on a regular basis.

brassneck

End of support next year

Should probably have been moving and testing a couple of years ago if your business depends on using Windows to makes its living.

FWIW I’d probably just buy a new PC with 8 on it and update to Blue whenever. I spend most of my working life in a VMWare or linux CLI and I didn’t think it was that bad really. Classic Shell is a good shout though, put that on the wifes after she handed back her upgraded laptop and gave me The Look.

mogrim

End of support next year

Yeah, but from the OP: we still sit on Windows at the office, this won’t change in a hurry as we need Windows for programming many of the systems we supply

I’d be getting a Win8 laptop and checking that the systems you supply are compatible, first. Work out what you need, then decide on how/when to upgrade. But I tend to agree with brassneck’s advice though: go straight to 8, seems stupid to go to 7 which will presumably go out of support earlier.

ask1974
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys. For the record all software platforms we use are compatible with everything up to and including seven, and I would assume most are ok with eight as well just haven’t checked yet. This is more about stability and general UI. XP was clunky but it just worked and having used colleagues Vista machines there was a very good reason I stayed with XP.

I’m a bit out of touch with seven and rumours aren’t especially encouraging about eight, hence the question directed to those more in the know.

TheBrick
    Free Member

For reference I’ve been having trouble today migrating a MFC project over to to windows 7. Some timer issues and tomorrow probably some other issues I have not yet found! So don’t expect everything to run with out issues.

Cougar

Vista was fine, despite the reputation.

Yeah. Vista served me well for a good while, you just need to tame UAC. Otherwise it’s the Windows “are you sure?” edition.

Cougar

don’t expect everything to run with out issues.

Yeah, but to be fair, the NT6 core has been around now for six years; there’s little excuse for apps not to be be updated.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You don’t work where I do!

We are still writing most of our HMI in vb6!

Edukator
    Free Member

I like 8 a lot now. Vista didn’t come with a recovery disk, when I tried to make a set of recovery disks it wouldn’t, when I tried to use the recovery thing it didn’t work. So every major crash required a reinstall by the local computer wizard. The machine is on the floor behind me with hardware in perfect working order, but Vista died again.

Madame needs a new work laptop, she’s been borrowing my 8 machine and didn’t hesitate to ask for 8 if possible and 7 if not.

Cougar

You don’t work where I do!

We are still writing most of our HMI in vb6!

Are you in local government?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Nope. Training simulators, to be fair many of the industrial systems we are simulating have vb6 interfaces, this year has been the first year a client has come to us with a .net based interface.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading from Windows XP?’ is closed to new replies.