Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Upgrades or new(er) bike
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

The upgrade quandary. Put a moderate amount of money into an old bike or a massive amount into a new (to me) bike.

My full sus is a giant reign 6.7 about 10 years old. Generally happy with how it rides, could do with a lower stand over and slacker. Hate the 2x but need the low gears for winch and plummet so otherwise I would have standard 1×9, no dropper. Having had a dropper on my rigid bike I know it has been a brilliant faff saving device.
    Options.
    0#. Do nothing. Bike generally ride fine.

#1. Modernise. Wide range 9speed cassette(£50) and a cheap narrow wide chainring and chain device (no clutch mech £50?) add a superstar slackset (£50 or so) and a dropper (£150), so probably £300 ish hopefully.

#2. Buy a new second hand bike £1500 -£2000 or so.

I love the really rough technical tracks, winch and plummet but I don’t get to ride that very often, every 6 weeks, less in winter (local stuff is tame so always driving and limited time) so justifying the cost is hard. I use a rigid bike for more trail / xc riding and it helps on the local stuff (1X and dropper).

Are the upgrades pointless waste of money?

£1500 -£2000 is a lot of miserable time for me to earn! For something I may love but have limited use of. Not sure I could even do the £2000 tbh with tech seemingly changing quite so rapidly

joebristol

With a 10 year old bike I’d consider uograding. For you budget you could go new and improve on what you have, or say a year old and get better components and still modern geometry.

In the last 10 years bikes have got slacker, longer reach, better standover, bigger wheels, 1x with a wide range for not silly money.

Vitus Sommet has a pretty reasonable spec brand new for £1799 (when in stock) as a burly bike on a budget.

I’d definitely consider a year old bike though – you’d get a better fork and shock for similar money (if the Covid rush to buy bikes has now subsided as the nights close in etc) and probably better wheels and brakes.

rhayter

You won’t regret it. £2K will get you a really decent 2-3 year old, well-loved bike even in the currently inflated second hand market. Even £2K spent on a sale bike (I know there aren’t that many) will get you a bike that’s just better at almost everything than your trusty Reign.

rhayter

£2,300 will get you a brand new Trek Remedy 7.

submarined
    Free Member

I sold a nice condition 2016 Transition Patrol with Guide RS, 11s SLX, Fox Factory 36s and dt350/Stan’s Flows for about 1600 at the height of the used bike price stupidity period, which did everything you’re after and more. There were quite a few similar bikes out there as well. Your cash will get you a blinding second hand bike, which will be a significant leap forward from your current one. I’d really do that.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s what I expected, but not what I hoped. I will try to save over the winter and aim for January / February.

Definitely a year or so old bike as I see zero reason for buying new on a bike, especially as I would want to customise / how my bikes seem to have a hard life.

TheBrick
    Free Member

True stw style answer!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Any chance of a cheap R2W deal though work?

chakaping
    Free Member

I don’t get to ride that very often, every 6 weeks, less in winter

Would you have potential to ride more if you wanted to?

If not, I’d just upgrade the Giant TBH. They were really good in their day, even if they are titchy compared to modern bikes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Any chance of a cheap R2W deal though work?

Maybe but the bike available always seem restricted and not convinced you save much in the end due to restricted choice / brand new premium. Plus I don’t feel overly secure at the moment work wise.

Would you have potential to ride more if you wanted to?

Not really. Its a long drive for me so its a fully day out most of the time. I tend to try and work at least one day a weekend on the house or maintenance at parents etc plus family time makes it hard. This is why I primarily ride BMX as although I am no flip whip master I can have a 2hr session and it only cost 3hr including travel and clean up (which just involves removing pads)! I love a long XC ride too but same time issue as I feel the need to explore so actually find the bike park gnar easier to organise!

liamhutch89
    Free Member

Save until January. There will be some bargains once it’s cold, dark and wet and everyone’s skint

trumpton
    Free Member

Wait until the weather turns bad and the nights draw in.there should be loads of 1 year old handly used sh bikes for sale.have a look at paulscycles they always have big discounts on older models and last time I looked they had stock.

greeny30
    Free Member

Black friday isn’t that far away, should be able to find 2019/20 models going cheap.

rhayter

True stw style answer!

Fair point.

Also have a sniff for ex-demo bikes. The ones at BPW get a kicking, but some shops that do demos sell on their fleet pretty quickly.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m usually all for people buying new bikes, but OP is doing fewer than 10 rides a year.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Also have a sniff for ex-demo bikes.

Good tip thanks.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Are you thrifty? Who knows what the future holds regarding the economy…

Solution: Upgrade your bike with minimal cash to 1×11, perhaps even buying second hand parts.

Do you have loads of money and are confident the state of the economy won’t affect you?

Solution: Buy a new bike

The difference in expenditure sounds pretty large to be honest. Why not just sell your bike and not replace it? Use what you have left over. You’ll have more free space (this is both cathartic and practical as has already been discussed), less possessions, a bit more money (if you sell your bike).

Whichever pill you decide to take…Good luck

hols2
    Free Member

If it were me, I’d go for a Brand-X dropper post and just refresh the 9-speed drivetrain with low-end Shimano stuff. If the forks are decent, you could also look at stripping the bike and switching the parts to a newer frame and upgrading to 1×11 drivetrain.

kayak23

I’d keep the Reign for sure if you’re not riding it week in, week out. Great bike. I loved mine.

What brings you to the conclusion that it needs to be slacker?

Brand-X post, 1×11.wide range cassette. No need to go nuts. Shimano and Sunrace. You’ll get some of it used if you look.

A great way to refresh your bike on the cheap and make it feel different is to get it powder coated. I rawed my Reign. Miss that bike.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Are you thrifty?

Yes

Do you have loads of money and are confident the state of the economy won’t affect you?

No

The difference in expenditure sounds pretty large to be honest. Why not just sell your bike and not replace it? Use what you have left over.

I don’t see any point in spending loads on a old bike, but maybe worth spending some to improve it. Not getting rid and not replacing, as then I would not go riding MTB, I only do the local riding for a bit of fitness and social when people I know are out. It’s a real treat for me and I have loved it since young but it is expensive in time as well as money.

I get what you are saying about less stuff though and a worthwhile point to make.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What brings you to the conclusion that it needs to be slacker?

Feels a bit unstable on the steeper stuff, might just be me and might be fork set up as well!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Upgrades or new(er) bike’ is closed to new replies.