• This topic has 21 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Upgraders Assemble – new forks.
  • tthew

I want to put some better forks on my hardtail, it’s a Whyte 629 currently with Rockshox Revalations, boost, 120mm travel and 42mm offset. Probably don’t want to go a lot longer because its already slackish.

Hoping to spend around the £750 mark rather than £1000. Not particularly bothered about the make and understand that I might have to wait a bit for availability. Nearly new would be fine, and if any of the German have the export rules sorted, happy to use them.

So what forks, and where from? Cheers. 👍

frogstomp

In true STW “don’t answer the question” style.. if they’re in good nick and the older ones with the Motion Control damper (still 35mm stanchion) you could get them serviced and upgraded to the latest Charger damper and air spring for less. May be a good option if you can’t find stock of what you want..

poah
    Free Member

get a rev up and service from TFtuned – charger damper is stupidly expensive

tthew

No, 32mm and I intend to put them on my singlespeed as they will in turn be an upgrade on the steel billets that are on that!

z1ppy

Rockshox for me, I’d be looking at a new Pike to replace your old Rev’s, unless your a large lad where-as I’d be eyeing up Lyrik’s. Lots of ppl selling Pikes (& 35mm Rev’s) for what seems to be not too ridiculous pricing, on faceache marketplace.

asbrooks

Pikes would be enough for what you want, I’d go for lyrics if you want to increase the travel beyond 140mm and they now have the same internals depending on what version you go for, so I believe.
    Or if you want to stick to 120mm travel the new SIDs come with 35mm stanchions now days
    I can’t really say much about Fox or any other brands as I’ve never used them.

joebristol

Pike Ultimates would be a decent replacement – stiffer chassis and a better damper.

35mm Revelations would give you broadly the same damper but the Pike chassis. Possibly a new debonair airspring. You can always upgrade to a charger damper at a later date.

At 120mm stanchions there is also the 35mm stanchion SID. Lighter than the Pike and pretty stiff from what I’ve read. That is a maxed out travel setting though – they can’t be made longer so a less flexible option if you decide to change frame at a later date and need a malinger travel fork.

lawman91

I’d go for a Sid on a 629 personally. Plenty stiff enough and nice and light, well impressed with the set on my Spur and would be the fork I’d go for on a 120mm 29er hardtail

schmiken

X Fusion McQueen HLR at £600. Absolutely love mine and really easy to work on too.

edhornby

Is it worth looking for a complete bike on Facebook market and splitting it up ?

tthew

Ah, great stuff, thanks. Pikes is where I’ve been settling too, although if some SID turn up first that’d be fine too. New stock is a bit more tricky! As it’s not an emergency purchase, so I can wait or see if something secondhand turns up in the mean time.

X Fusion suggestion noted schmiken, will investigate those too.

Northwind

Am I the only person that really doesn’t rate the charger Pikes? Got my first set as an “upgrade” from some old mico Lyriks and sold them a few months later as they were a distant second best. Got another set now and even with a luftkappe in the spring and an upgrade to the newer charger damper they’re still just decent. Good chassis for the weight though.

bikerevivesheffield

Hoping to spend around the £750 mark rather than £1000 😳😳😳😳😳😳😳

bikerevivesheffield

So a £750 upgrade on a £1750 bike 🤷🏻‍♂️

tthew

Got news for you dude, it was 1300 quid. But I like it except for the forks and can afford it so yeah, new forks.

Probably going to build new wheels for it too. 🤯

tthew

Got news for you dude, it was 1300 quid. But I like it except for the forks and can afford it so yeah, new forks.

tthew

tthew

tthew

joebristol

Go for it – if the frame and geometry is decent and you’re going to put fancier wheels on too than why not.

I’d lean towards the Pike rather than the SID as it could be made longer travel in future in case you decided to change to a more hardcore hardtail that needed a longer fork or a full suss bike that also needed more travel.

joebristol

Just thinking outside the box if stock is difficult a Formula Selva R is a nice looking / very adjustable fork and so is the Cane Creek Helm.

I’ve not mentioned Fox as they’re often ludicrously expensive aftermarket – a 34 Performance Elite or Factory would also be decent if one of those comes up. The Grip 2 damper is meant to be excellent – although the 34 chassis isn’t as stiff as a Pike.

poah
    Free Member

pike or a mattoc

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Upgraders Assemble – new forks.’ is closed to new replies.