Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Update from the ghetto 650b folks?
  • bratty

Hows everybody who squeezed 650b wheels into 26″ frames and forks getting on with them?

Any views as to whether it makes much difference?

catsplums
    Free Member

I am really very happy with the results so far but I have hardly done enough to say 100% its better at everything, it “feels” like it rolls a bit better over stuff it does seem about the same to accelerate and has in no way reduced the fun and handling of my bike… clearance at the back IS tight though (but that would depend on frame obviously) so I am limited to tyres and so far that is the only downside at all I would even think of, everything else seems the same or better 🙂 (gone from hope pro /717s to chris king /stans flows)

catsplums
    Free Member

oh I did also go tubed to tubeless at the same time not sure if that helped or not so could be a slight improvement not related to the size upgrade.

gee
    Free Member

Been racing this setup for 18 months. It’s fantastic. BB is a bit higher which takes a bit of adaptation but it’s great.

bratty

How much clearance did you both have (before and after)?

gee
    Free Member

Back end – masses (but the Salsa Ala Cartes have massive chain stays in titanium and steel).

Forks – normal clearance to a bit less than you get on a 29er on the brake arch. Issue is clearance when fully compressed against the crown – I have about 3mm. You must check this by letting out all the air and heaving down on the forks. If the tyre touches the crown you need to faff with the forks.

sheck

Put some in an Inbred frame as an experiment. Dropped the forks by 20mm to offset the higher BB and fitted a 1 deg slackset to retain the same head angle as I had before lowering the forks. Works a treat, and I’d do it again, even though it sounds lke a faff! The impact on the ride is to make everything a bit smoother, without changing the handling characteristics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Update from the ghetto 650b folks?’ is closed to new replies.