Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Up Yours from Widgit
  • boblo
    Free Member

What’s with the aggro CA? Has he got under yer skin?

prettygreenparrot

it looks like a chainring with a riveted on pair of guides/bashguards. Not sure buyer’s remorse is a reason to ‘out’ an Australian for not adhering to the UK’s distance selling regs. If it proved unsuitable for the described use – like it didn’t do the job or wouldn’t fit then I understand the problem.

I’m probably being a bit slow, but what’s the point? When I’ve run a single chainring with a 9-sprocket system I’ve had no problems with chains dropping off. Seems like a power band for 9-speeders.

If you’re keen to cut gears, go to the extreme and go singlespeed or get one of these

keavo
    Free Member

the point was it’s available in 28t. it was intended for a 29er bike i use ss and 1×9 but i find a 32t ring bigger than ideal. it looked like the perfect solution, sadly it didn’t work.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Widgit should at the very least specify on its site compatabilty, and also a return/exchange policy. There is nothing at the moment on the Widgit site.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I really don’t see the widgit as anything other than a couple of coloured bash guards fixed to a crank. A bit of improvisation with these beauties at £8 a pop would do the same thing.

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/superlights.html

A pair of 32t will weigh 52g… less than half the weight of a widgit.
    Add on a bit for longer bolts maybe and the odd spacer and I still reckon it will be lighter, cheaper and stronger – all three 🙂
    And you can pimp it with different coloured bashes.

I’ve ordered in the past and they are extremely good quality.
    And good service too.

Northwind

OK, agreed that they could have been better about it but they’re under no obligation to deal with your mistake. A great company would have helped you, so we know they’re not great, ah well- you’d no reason or right to expect it.

But looking at this and your MTBR posts you’re grinding that axe ridiculously hard, and actively seeking out bad news about the company that you can recycle and use to try and damage them. While the company’s done nothing wrong by you, you’ve gone out and tried to cost them business which makes you the bad guy in this thread.

Just my 2c but if I was you, I’d post an apology to Widget and I’d never mention it again.

epicyclo

It’s really a cultural difference.

You made the mistake of buying something you did not want = your problem. Nothing changes that.

If the product was defective it would be a different story.

Thanks for bringing that product to my attention btw, I may buy one.

jamesca
    Free Member

sell it to me for 50NZ$ then at least it will be back on the correct side of the world…i’m doing you a favour really

cynic-al
    Free Member

boblo you spotted that winky?

prettygreenparrot

@ keavo. Ah, I see. I was being dense. A special number of teeth. I totally see your point now. It would have been much better all round if widgit either gave a warning/buying advice on suitability or were more gracious in their handling of customer disappointment.

boblo
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    boblo you spotted that winky?

Errr no. It went over my head like a giraffes fart 🙂

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I will no longer buy things I don’t need from Australia…

bonesetter
    Free Member

——– Original Message ——–
    Subject: Widgit
    Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:55:46 +0000
    To: paul haggarty <paul@widgit.com.au>

Paul

The unwanted Widgit I received from you a couple of weeks ago just doesn’t seem to want to lie down. As you know, I started a couple of forum threads, as I was a little taken aback with your response after asking for a return and refund. I started a further 3rd forum thread asking about Widgit compatibility with 29er bikes, as a poster reported an issue experienced with his Widgit and a 29er frame. These threads keep on going and have got to the point where I think all would agree enough is enough as I’m sure these must be damaging for business.

I would like to get some resolution with you, and post such on these threads. I accept my error, ordering something I then decide I don’t need, but try to see it from my side. The Widgit is a costly item, working out to ~£100 GBP, and it looks as though it might be difficult to find a buyer, which means I am stuck with it, unless you decide, on this occasion to accept the return. I’ve never heard of any bike company not taking returns, whether they be in the UK, EU, or elsewhere, and there is no mention of these terms & conditions on your site. I offer to pay the postage you have paid sending the Widgit to me and furthermore, offer to pay a 10% handling fee for your trouble. The packaging has not been opened, everything is as brand new.

As a side, I have since found the Widgit will not fit my bike for the planned application

I do hope this can end up as an all’s well that ends well

Regards

Nigel

singletrack, UK forum thread

mtbr, general discussion thread

mtbr, 29er bikes thread

boblo
    Free Member

Cheeky sod! If he goes for that, you are one lucky young man. The sneaky ‘blackmail by internet forum’ does not help your case IMO. You should be trying to appeal to his better nature not spreading bad news about his company then rubbing his nose in it.

Why have you posted up private correspondence between you and your supplier? Naughty boy.

andyl
    Free Member

tbh I think you have now gone too far and made yourself look just as bad. Not going be much left of your refund after you pay the postage to and from Aus and the 10% restocking fee.

May as well have just sold it.

BigJohn

A bit late to drop “oh, by the way, it doesn’t work” into the discussion. It might come across as a teeny bit of a fib.

leffeboy

surprised this thread hasn’t been pulled yet as it’s sole purpose seems to be to do damage to the original company. However my guess is that is is doing exactly the opposite as

* The company is getting discussed on the net, nearly always good for search even if the discussions are negative

* The OP just wanted to return it because he changed his mind, for no other reason. The company refused as is their right (even though had they been within the EU it wouldn’t have been their right)

* When someone returned the item because it didn’t work as intended they quite reasonably got their money refunded without postage.

* What I learn from these threads is where the device doesn’t work. Not that it is fundamentally flawed or that the company are sharks.

I think most people will see this as quite reasonable although not up to the standards of the best out there. Continuing these threads only helps the company – really

neninja
    Free Member

I see no sensible reason why a company would be so bloody minded about returns when the buyer has already offered to cover their original costs. Their product clearly has compatibility issues and it’s pretty poor too if they are being less than upfront about it.

Not too impressed with that approach though. The whole “I’ll stop criticising you publicly if you sort it” thing leaves a bad taste even if this Paul Haggarty comes across as a knob.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Up Yours from Widgit’ is closed to new replies.