• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pdV6.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Up and Over Garage door security
  • wors

Any recommendations for additional Internal locks/security?

Need to beef mine up after some scum tried to get in mine last night, I disturbed them thankfully, The **** had levered it from the bottom and tried pulling it out.

project
    Free Member

Secure with bolts and nuts, with the heads outside,and fixed to 1 inch box section steel, run down both sides of the door, also a steel plate running down both sides of frame on the outside.

A garage alarm, security lights and covert cctv, and baby monitor also help, ensure the roof is secure as well.

wwaswas

I have these fitted top and bottom to stop them folding the door over;

http://www.easylocks.co.uk/enfield-garage-door-bolts-garage-door-locks-handles-p-4624.html

FieldMarshall

Likewise, fitted the exact same bolts yesterday.

KonaTC

In the last house and as my drive was poor quality tarmac I opted for a 4” x 4” post held with a couple of Z type brackets on the inside near the top. Bit like a medieval castle gate.

My logic was that if they tried to pop the central latch and open the door the timber post would stop the door opening, but on reflection they could have peeled the door corner back. So bolts like the one above would have been good

Quick search revealed this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garage-door-security-improved-locks

rootes1

^ pacri bolts as above are excellent and discrete

there are some copy ones at better prices that also seem good

also worth reinforcing the door to stop it / resist it being bent

you can do this with timber etc.

nealy
    Free Member
    MRanger156
    Free Member

I also use the above bolts and a cheapish wireless alarm. This may deter them but if someone really wants to get in then they probably will so a good ground anchor and chain/lock (£200 ish) is well worth the money and piece of mind.

gearfreak
    Free Member

when you replace the door, get one with four point locking rather than single point.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=garage+defender&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=37189454&biw=1440&bih=839&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=16971115421057521990&sa=X&ei=oKCXUPeMJMrs0gXNkICwAg&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAg

Visual detterent (or enticement???). Fitted one after we’d ben broken into as the scrotes already knew where we were.

pnik

I’ve been thinking about this too. The garage defender does run the risk of advertising, unfortunately the drive in front of my garage is slabs, so not sure that I could secure one anyway. There is also the little issue of a massive window in the side wall too, any ideas for making that more secure, without spending hundreds on external bars which again run the risk of advertising. The additional side bolts look like a good idea though.

TiRed

Piece of wood in each side of the hinges prevents the door opening at all. Of course, we have internal access to the house, so that makes securing a little easier 😉

pdV6
    Free Member

As has been mentioned several times, Pacri bolts here.

When our garage got done over, I don’t know if they even tried to get through the door (it’s quite cosmetically challenged) but I like to think that the bolts put them off.

However, the scroats found the weak point by going in through the side window & dismantling the bike to pass the bits out. Hence lots of internal security as well as external now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Up and Over Garage door security’ is closed to new replies.