Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Unusual Thru axle size?
  • gavmoir
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought a bike with a front QR thru axle (i.e with a QR lever) but I think that the plain bolt thru axles (i.e. no lever, just tightened with an Allen key) look better. The only thing is that it seems to be an odd size…..

122mm x M12 x 1.5

As I can’t find one for sale anywhere – is there anywhere that makes custom thru axles?

nixie

If you can find one a bit longer you can use a spacer.

gavmoir
    Free Member

Good shout however I’d really like it to be as neat as possible hence the need for an exact fit. I see that there’s a multitude of thru axle sizes – I can’t believe that my bike is the only one one with a 122mm axle length (and M12 xP1.5 thread).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixie

What bike?

nickdavies

Dtswiss do a 100mm 12mm axle (122mm wide) no idea on thread pitch?

gavmoir
    Free Member

Its for the Selcof TD380 Carbon Flat Mount Disc Fork. A picture of the original thru axle is at https://www.planetx.co.uk/imgs/products/px/950x600_constWH/FOSETDF380_P3.jpg?v=6

bruneep

What fork, How are you measuring it?

https://mtzoom.com/collections/thru-axles-and-skewers anything here?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

this is close in terms of length…124.4mm x 15mm

SRAM STYLE ROAD FRONT THRU AXLE 15mm X 100mm(axle)/124.5mm(length) X 1.5MM 31G (T12)

but yours suggest a 12mm diameter, so the narrowest MT Zoom do is 118.5mm in 12mm:

E-THRU ROAD FRONT THRU AXLE 12mm X 100MM (axle)/118.5mm (length) X 1.5MM 27G (T5)

any good?

nickdavies

Seem to have lost most of my earlier post, but the dtswiss rws axles come in plug in now which is a thru bolt with the lever separate. I can’t find a product spec for the 100x12mm plug in axle, but the regular 100x12mm axle is exactly the measurements you need, would stand to reason that it would be made to the same measurements.

Edit: bingo, found it. HWQASM00S1460S Is the correct plug in rws thru axle for what you’re after. 121mm 12×1.5 thread. 13mm thread length.

gavmoir
    Free Member

The HWQASM00S1460S is 1mm shorter than required which might not be an issue but the Thread Length is 2mm shorter than required, which means the thread starts 3mm too early. Not sure the shorter Thread Length will work.

nickdavies

There’s a couple of places list them as 122mm, I’d say that 1mm would be no issue as that’s probably just allowing for tolerances, and the shorter thread length isn’t 3mm too early, it’s measured from the end of the axle so it’s 1mm different in real world measurements as to where the thread goes to on the axle.

I’d measure the depth of the drop out, I reckon it’s well under the thread length and you’ll have no problems. PX do make funny sized stuff though, if it was me id go with that and I’d be ordering from crc etc so you can return if no good.

I’m eyeing up a tempest, and assuming that’s the fork it comes with that’s what will be going on it.

gavmoir
    Free Member

I’ve tried that already – the shorter axle and thread length meant that the end of the axle was significantly inside the fork thread. The smaller amount of thread inside the fork makes me think it won’t be as strong an interface as the original (12mm vs 15mm of thread).

nickdavies

I thought it would end up just inside the dropout at worst, obviously you’ve tried so it’s a weird fork dropout?

Maybe one for Brant to comment on..

gavmoir
    Free Member

There was an overlap of thread lengths so it ‘worked’ however the overlap wasn’t the full amount so not as strong as designed. Seems that Planet X has used a random axle length – certainly not one that is common enough to appear in an extensive google search…

mattbee

Will be interested to see if you manage something; the one thing that irks me about my Tempest is that the front QR axle looks like it belongs on a £99 supermarket special, it’s bulky and awkward looking albeit that it fulfils it’s function perfectly.
    Doubly a shame as the fork itself seems really nicely made/finished, just the axle that’s annoying.
    I’d be happier with a simple hex key axle (like the rear one) but had no real success when I tried to find one that fitted.

neila

@mattbee, I replaced the front QR axle on my Tempest with a Brand X jobbie from Wiggle (https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-bolt-thru-axle-2/?sku=100994563) It is a bit longer (by 3mm or so) so protrudes a little but it looks neat and I haven’t died yet. I suppose I could cut it down but life is too short.

gavmoir
    Free Member

I’ve finally found what appears to be the correct item – 122mm M12 P1.5

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000152691405.html

Fingers crossed that it arrives before I die of the shame of running the fugly QR thru axle that it came with… ;O)

gavmoir
    Free Member

I did get one that fits perfectly and looks good too. The spec is L:122mm, TL:15mm, TP:M12*1.5. I bought it from AliExpress
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOHf6j

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Unusual Thru axle size?’ is closed to new replies.