Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Unusual stuff you've overtaken
  • timber

On this evenings ride I overtook a fox whilst descending off the hill, startled it and it ran down the trail edge where the ground was clear.

Wondered what else people have overtaken?

Only other notable overtake I can think of is a mate exiting some singletrack onto a road and overtaking a funeral procession – possibly not the done thing.

matther01
    Free Member

As I normally ride at a snail’s pace…I once overtook one which surprised us both.

robhughes
    Free Member

Now that is funny…. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    discoduck
    Free Member

I got level with a squirrel about 2 hours ago then it khamakazid into the hedge bottom as I was just about level with it, I also startled a Roe Doe deer at the side of the trail,

jam-bo

I’ve overtaken my bike. It hurt.

timber

jam bo – I find that all too frequent

scaredypants

passed 2 rutting* deer** once on a night ride, within about 3 feet – not sure they even noticed

(*if rutting is the fighting bit – they sho’ weren’t shagging)
    (**not the big scary type)

WillH

Not really an overtake, but my commute home takes me on a dirt path along the edge of an estuary, and there are sections with trees/bushes on both sides and overhead, giving a tunnel-like effect. Recently I startled some small birds – sparrows maybe – which were enjoying a dust-bath in the middle of the path. They took flight and flew ahead of me for about a hundred meters or so, going at the same pace, climbing and diving all over the place. They were just a metre or two in front of my bars, looked ace, kinda like the Deathstar chase scene (but with sparrows instead of X-wings).

tazzymtb

barn own was cool…

.riding into a bat that was in front of me and having a little flapping daubentons in the front vent of my helmet whilst night riding was fun. (a little rabbits nose of poo may have escaped into my lycra)

i did manage to free the wee fella and let him go on his way…was ace watching it bounce along the water hunting insects and small fish… by helmet light

Ambrose

I overtook a tank once, only to get stuck behind another one. I was thus sandwiched between tons of armour for rather too long. Tanks are very BIG indeed.

cbike
    Free Member

Trident Warheads on the M6 and associated polis and gubbins.

khegs
    Free Member

Well, not strictly an overtake, as it wasn’t me doing the overtaking.

Got overtaken by a bloody big Buzzard while cycling to work one morning, about a foot (if that) above my head

That certainly gave me a wee moment

Northwind

I get a scooter every couple of weeks on my commute, that’s always satisfying.

Scapegoat

barn own was cool…

.riding into a bat that was in front of me and having a little flapping daubentons in the front vent of my helmet whilst night riding was fun. (a little rabbits nose of poo may have escaped into my lycra)

i did manage to free the wee fella and let him go on his way…was ace watching it bounce along the water hunting insects and small fish… by helmet light

Evolution is a wonderful thing. They’ve come a long way since they just used sonar.

mrelectric

Not really an overtake as the snake was t moving but as a kid ( in New Jersey) I bombed down a trail through the woods at the end of our deadend street . Just in time, I saw a copperhead sunning itself in the middle of the path. Biggest jump I ever did. Didn’t look back….
    (The local rattlesnakes weren’t full on diamondbacks and copperheads are one down from there; but an adder wld be a be flea bite)

Cue Aussie posts:

2hottie
    Free Member

I didn’t over take the baby brown snake unlike my riding buddy who didn’t notice it till I did the manly wimper when spotting it. The two big kangaroos on a night ride was fun/scary as I could hear them bouncing along next to me but I couldn’t see them, I was waiting to be taken out like the guy in the asba cape race! The koala on another night ride just kicking back in the middle of the trail it wasn’t going to move of the way. Cue off the bike walking round it.

mrphil
    Free Member

Roadies.

They were not happy lol.

Also overtook a Badger, was glad he never went for me because he was a big bastard

ben
    Free Member

On a bike, but a powered version, I overtook a King Cobra in Malaysia.

Certainly spiced up that day’s dirt biking!

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Kangaroos, frequently, we startle each other, they bound alongside initially then peel off.

I once considered jumping a proper big lizard coming down a singletrack descent, but walked round instead. I’m not familiar with what’s what but probably a monitor or dragon, it was maybe 2m long. I hate the first glimpse of a reptile before you’ve worked out whether it’s something that might be dangerous, it’s usually just a bobtail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Roos wallabies and off the bike the dali lama in the baggage collection hall at melbourne airport

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Roos wallabies and off the bike the dali lama in the baggage collection hall at melbourne airport

Bregante

On a run one Sunday morning I passed a group of ladies who were all on one of those military fitness courses. About 20 of them all doing some sort of bizarre slow motion running type thing, as I jogged past at my normal (not much faster than them) pace

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I sort of overtook a woman crouched in a bombhole, having a poo a few years back on Leith Hill.

I think the sight of me dropping in over the top of it helped “the turtle to poke is head out”.

spooky_b329

A scooter (made better by the fact the rider was hunkered down with his chin on the bars to eek out every spare mph)

Night ride Badger.

A car on a ‘stay in low gear’ type hill (made less notable by the fact I was spotted and the driver pulled in to let me past)

Chewie, fit as a fit thing trail dog, didn’t expect to be able to keep up let alone overtake. Ground conditions were in my favour, but still…

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a section of the Bristol – Bath cycle path alongside a preserved railway, separated only by a wire fence, used to regularly overtake steam trains plodding along.

rOcKeTdOg

i over took a hot air balloon once, it was about 20ft above my head following the same route

i also got over taken by a steam powered car on an uphil, that was embarrasing

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Double post

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I got overtaken by a bloke in full high viz workwear, with his lunch hanging off the handlebars of his electric bike. I was at the end of a long ride, he looked like he was riding home after a day at work. I turned myself inside out to catch him, but I just died a bit instead.

Trident Warheads on the M6 and associated polis and gubbins.

You were cycling along the M6 ? 😯

I occasionally race the steam trains on the Severn Valley railway as they leave Hampton Loade for Kidderminster.
    There’s a cycle way alongside the railway which dips up and down.
    I overtake the train on the downs, then get overtaken on the ups.

I broke a pedal on the top of Long Mynd once (yes, an eggbeater, since you ask).
    I still managed to overtake two cars on the road down.

captainsideburns
    Free Member

Tassie Devil on a night ride.

stevied
    Free Member

A wild boar when on an uplift @ FoD..and ran over a brown snake in Sydney 😯

rOcKeTdOg

I over took MickArms at mayhem, he’d done 12 laps I’d done 3. He repassed me later on the same lap too 😳

It is V unusual to pass Mick!

hishairyness
    Free Member

A badger, 3 squirrel and a cow

scotster
    Free Member

Concorde.
    No, seriously! I was going down the Thames tow path near isleworth and as I rounded a bend there it was. The full fuselage being towed on a big barge. It didn’t stand a chance!

jonjones262
    Free Member

I overtook a bull once. It was standing by the gate to its field, on the road side!

Me whizzing past spooked it and it started to run after me, luckily I was bombing it downhill.

My mate was behind me with the bull in the middle!

Luckily it ran off down a side road…

rocketman
    Free Member

Have overtaken a few farm vehicles esp tractors on the road bike. It would be rude not to

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of my fave rides is up the river from the coast and about halfway up there’s a sort of “outbound” centre for kids, they usually use kayaks and canoes and paddle up to the swan neck in the river, I on the other hand ride the trail and always beat the kids.
    I feel so awsomnez. 😆

parkesie
    Free Member

Garry fisher at one of the early mayhems. He’s fairly unusual.

jockthestore
    Free Member

A rotovator with a trailer on the back of it (quite common in Laos).

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cars. I used to go past them quite happily down a very steep section of the A6 into Hobart, Tasmania. The speed limit was oh…. 50 mph. Tuck in behind, then filter into the outside lane and pedal. I never got a chance to see their expressions though! 😯

It’s waaaay steeper in reality than it looks on Google streetview:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Unusual stuff you've overtaken’ is closed to new replies.