• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Nobby.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Unsuitable for cyclists?
  • Euro
    Free Member

Loads of signs appearing round my local loop stating the above or Cycling prohibited. I can see their point in the last pic, but the others? Prime mountain biking without mountains territory in my eyes. I’m going erect my own saying ‘obeying signs is prohibited’ 😀

oldnpastit

Some nice pictures there. Taking pictures should be prohibited, as I’m now feeling very envious.

Is that rear tyre on the right-way round?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just put the word “road” in front of cyclists on the sign.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JoeG
    Free Member

The sign says “cyclists” not “mountain bikers” 😉

billytinkle
    Free Member

Red electrical tape over the ‘un’ for a quick fix.

Surely it only means the bridge though?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

These appeared a little while ago at Rutland water (i especially like the graffiti underneath)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nAQ7Tv]Cyclists dismount[/url] by willodriscoll, on Flickr

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The obvious question here is : how many of these signs are on footpaths rather than bridleways?

T666DOM

cookeaa

“Unsuitable” isn’t the same as “Prohibited” I’d say its more of a suggestion than teh Roolz…

Euro
    Free Member

Is that rear tyre on the right-way round?

For the rear, yes. It’s one of those dual direction thingies. Totally useless up the front as there’s no grip at all, but fun on the back.

All the signs are on the footpaths but to get to the interesting stuff you gotta go on the paths. I generally go early morning when everyone’s at work so there’s been no hassle from the odd walker i’ve met. I’ve been riding and fine tuning this loop for years but since the council decide to spruce up the area with picnic benchs and fixing the bridges it’s gone all pedestrian, hence the signs i think. But councils being what they are, the footpaths are actually part of a Sustrans cycling route 😀

(i especially like the graffiti underneath)

Me too 😀

alpin
    Free Member

I can’t read the graffit on my phone.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

It says “Don’t Patronise Us” which seemed a bit erudite for graffiti.

nikk
    Free Member

Ah.

The UK has the highest percentage of sign making patronizing busybody know-it-all health-and-safety do-gooder jobsworths in the world, the office of statistics revealed yesterday.

MSP

There is some pretty bad photoshoping of that signage there.

maxtorque

Thing is, how do you know it’s “unsuitable” if you don’t know who’s trying to ride it??

I mean, i’d describe this as pretty “unsuitable for cyclists” but some people seem to manage it:

😉

csb

Euro – the big leaved thing in your pic 2 is hogweed I think, which, if so, certainly deserves a warning sign. Burney nasty stuff.

Euro
    Free Member

Euro – the big leaved thing in your pic 2 is hogweed I think, which, if so, certainly deserves a warning sign. Burney nasty stuff.

There’s plenty of overgrown nettles along that bit of trail and i assumed it was them that attacked my arms and legs but couldn’t work out why they continued to sting for a several days. I made the trail a couple of feet wider earlier today (and got stung again in the process). Cheers for the botanical tip csb 😀

NewRetroTom

Those leaves look like wild rhubarb to me. Giant hogweed has fingered leaves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_mantegazzianum

nedrapier

That diagonal root in pic 5 looks fairly unsuitable for landing on!

stumpy01

I think the Rutland Water signs are mainly due to the large number of families who use the paths at the weekends and tend to go into ‘rabbit in hedlight’ mode if cyclists come down the hill towards them.
    Something like ‘slow down’ would be more appropriate, I think.

ocrider

MSP – Member

There is some pretty bad photoshoping of that signage there.
    The last one’s real, but it’s in Ireland 😉

http://goo.gl/maps/FsIVr

Nobby

The last one’s real, but it’s in Ireland

The first one’s legit too – I know that junction on the A2, it’s between Canterbury & Aylsham. The Aylsham junction isn’t much better.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Unsuitable for cyclists?’ is closed to new replies.