Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Unsocial covid rides
  • stretch…
    Free Member

Still solo here too. I’m missing riding with my mates but I haven’t seen enough or any information that has convinced me that a sociable group ride is safe yet. It’s highly likely that I have/ am being exposed to it at work and I’m not taking the chance however slim of spreading it to my mates. Really looking forward to the day when we all get out for that ride though!

benpinnick

^ That will infuriate loads of people who will take to social media to point out how outrageous it is…. while driving to their mates house for a BBQ.

Maybe a flippant comment above but to be honest, probably closer to the truth than not. Lockdown was killed by Dom. Probably no point arranging a group ride for more than a week or two out though, I doubt this new found freedom will last that long.

sirromj

Riding solo apart from family rides. With a 3yr old and 1yr old I just don’t have time for 1hr+ driving and 3hr+ riding + faff time to go somewhere nice to mtb unfortunately. Despite being furloughed opening up more opportunity time wise.

But also feeling a bit cautious for social riding. Would rather play it safe.

weeksy

Ridden with 3 different people in last few weeks. All very sensible guys, so wasn’t worried.

munrobiker
    Free Member

All my rides, except for road rides with my wife, have been solo and I haven’t seen enough evidence to convince me that it’s safe yet to ride with others. I feel that we’ve been given these opportunities to keep the proletariat on side for things like the Dominic Cummings saga and not because it’s the right thing to do.

andermt
    Free Member

I don’t tend to ride in a group too much anyway but sticking to solo rides. Only ever seen others riding in 1’s and 2’s, apart from a group of 5 roadies a couple of weeks ago, until today.

On a narrow bridleway had 2 guys riding together come towards me, slowed into a wider section to let them pass, then a hundred yards later the remainder of the group, approx 12-14 riders all wheel to wheel. Some with, some without masks but definitely not 2m apart.

malv173
    Free Member

Only one ride with one other person so far. A friend who I work with. We have no issues keeping physically distanced at work, and had no problem maintaining it on the ride to the trails. Once on them he’s much faster than me, so no worries there fortunately!

You’re definitely not soft for thinking it’s too risky though. I’m not going to do any rides with more than one other person, it feels like it’ll just make it a bit harder to manage the distancing.

stevextc
    Free Member

On a narrow bridleway had 2 guys riding together come towards me, slowed into a wider section to let them pass, then a hundred yards later the remainder of the group, approx 12-14 riders all wheel to wheel. Some with, some without masks but definitely not 2m apart.

2m is a bit pointless on a bike … if you are riding behind anyone then better to be as close as possible, once you are out of their direct slipstream you are just breathing in what they just breathed out for a lot further than 2m

zinaru
    Free Member

The last time I rode with anyone was September. Living rurally, going solo is my preferred option 99.9% of the time. This means I can stay out as long as I want and head wherever I fancy. The only modification to my normal riding and lockdown riding has been to not head anywhere too remote…

K

Well I think I’m going head out later on solo on the ‘duro fun times bike, probably hasn’t helped that I’ve not ridden it since getting a warrantee frame just as it was all starting… Probably going to go either really well with it feeling right or a constant faff trying to dial it in to feel good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This means I can stay out as long as I want and head wherever I fancy.

Aye, when exploring, or heading out for a long pedal, I generally go on my own, for the same reason as you. When going to the local woods that has 5 or 6 really good runs, I prefer company, makes me do more runs, and quicker, and the sociable side is a positive.

vmgscot

Managed my first ride out with a mate yesterday. Great to chew the fat for a few hours while climbing around the Lowther Hills – the route made it easy to observe 2m distancing yet keep side by side most of the time. Highlight was seeing a Hen Harrier for only the second time ever in the wild.

eggs4lunch
    Free Member

I bloody hate people. So I am riding merrily on my own.

Since the guidance changed to ‘you can travel as far as you like for your 1 exercise a day and be out as long as you like*’ it feels fairly normal outside now – which is worrying. I think that was predominantly aimed at golfers and those stuck in Belgravia who are missing the hunts but it helps for biking. (* This is UK government guidance and therefore only applies to England which makes massive sense)

I drove to Surrey Hills at the weekend though and I counted 8 in one mtb group.

They could all have been from the same household though…

tpbiker
    Free Member

I went for a ride with my mate first time last week. I reckon I am safer doing it now than in 3 weeks time when I imagine cases will begin to rise.

beanoir
    Free Member

Noticed a few bike parks have opened up again, seems riding with others is ok! 🤔

jonostevens
    Free Member

Been riding solo throughout, and also since lockdown eased, but am riding very early most the time to avoid the crowds so probably wouldn’t have a queue of people wanting to join me anyway. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Unsocial covid rides’ is closed to new replies.