Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Unseasonal fruit
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I've been getting nice oranges since Xmas, I don't remember fruit ever being so available out of season. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I thought you had just received a Christmas card from SuperStar Components

Junkyard
    Free Member

its not think of the air miles carbon footprint etc…but you new that as you are quite a bright person. It is summer so plenty of seasonal fruit available anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Not after I torched his warehouse!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Strawberries at Christmas is plain wrong.

Stoner
    Free Member

junkyard – its not quite as straight forward as that:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bloom/actions/localseasonalfood.shtml

British apples are not always a low-emissions alternative to imported apples – due to the way in which they are 'kept alive' in energy-intensive fridges for up to a year after harvest. In fact, an apple in August can have more carbon on its conscience than an apple that has been freshly harvested in New Zealand and shipped to the UK.

Junkyard
    Free Member

same is true of tomatoes [and I assume other stuff]which are grown here but in heated greenhouses and artifical light. Can you link up for Oranges as the OP mentions in his post I was referring to them but it was not clear Sorry.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Some of the out of season fruit is hardly worth eating – like strawberries, they practically taste of nothing unless freshly picked and in season rather than flown halfway round the world or out of season in a greenhouse

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We bought a couple of punnets of these freshly picked on Hoy. 75p each with an honesty box. Deeeeeeelicious, plans to save them for supper were shelved. We ate them all there and then.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I hate the way EVERYTHING is cold stored and nothing is properly ripe anymore. It just means most fruit is edible for about 3 seconds before it turns a mushy brown and rots.

molgrips
    Free Member

nothing is properly ripe anymore

Of course it is. You just have to go to shops that sell it the way you want it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Unseasonal fruit’ is closed to new replies.