Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)
  • Unreasonable or unfit for purpose?
  • stealthcat

I needed to replace a drybag which was about 4 or 5 years old, and had been used for holding a variety of things (sometimes tools/repair kit, sometimes clothes) in a non-waterproof rucksack.

I bought a 3-litre drybag from Go Outdoors as being the closest thing they had to what I was after; it claimed to be ultralight & waterproof ripstop nylon, and didn’t say anything about not using it for anything metal – the box says “protects your *gear* from unwanted moisture”, so I read that as being OK for more than just clothes. I used it for one ride, fairly tightly packed with a folding multi-tool, Leatherman and a couple of puncture repair boxes in it – no sharp edges that I was aware of, and nothing I hadn’t put in the old one.

When I emptied it after the ride, it had half-a-dozen holes in it, and is obviously no longer waterproof, so I took it back to Go Outdoors and asked if I could have a refund or replace it with something else.

The response was that I’d obviously filled it with heavy tools, and it was therefore fair wear and tear, so they would not refund or replace. When I asked to speak to a manager, he was more interested in the staff member’s version of the story and wasn’t actually listening to what I said. He said that they would, if I insisted, send it back to the manufacturer, but his whole attitude was that I was being unreasonable to expect to be able to use a dry bag to hold anything metal.

If it is unreasonable to use a drybag for tools, what do other people do? I’d rather not have to keep cleaning the rust off every time I need to use the multi-tool, but I also don’t want to have to unpack my kit every time I ride in the rain…

parkesie
    Free Member

My multi tool lives in a leather case and anything metal gets a soft case.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d always say tools, metal items or in fact anything that can puncture a bag need to be wrapped seperately to prevent exactly this sort of thing. It’s something we learned years ago in scouts, wrapping stuff in teatowels or small towels when hiking.

Unfortunately, just one of those things to write down to experience.

matt_outandabout

I’ve a small Tupperware box or old pencil case, after wearing through drybags.

jonm81

I just use a zip lock freezer bag.  One for tools and one for underwear, wallet and phone when commuting.

They seem to last relatively well and at £1 for 50 I don’t really care if they get holes in them every 10 or so rides.

I keep all my camping cook kit in an cheap exped dry bag that cam in a set of 5 and it has lasted years so they might be worth a look.

jam-bo

I would say you mis-bought rather than were mis-sold.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Metal wearing through fabric bag after vibrating for hours on a bike ride…who’d have thought it?

myti
    Free Member

I just use a zip lock freezer bag. One for tools and one for underwear, wallet and phone when commuting.

They seem to last relatively well and at £1 for 50 I don’t really care if they get holes in them every 10 or so rides.

Tut tut think of the planet!

jonm81

Tut tut think of the planet!

They last longer than the OP’s dry bag though so can’t be that bad. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

If the stuff you put in it damaged it (tools)

I can’t see how that is a fault of the manufacturer or the retailer to be honest.

Unless it was sold as a tool bag obviously.

For the < £8 it cost, I would chalk it up to experience and buy another (and wrap stuff properly when using it)

CraigW
    Free Member

Put the tools in an old sock, it stops them rattling or rubbing on things.

Also some drybags are tougher than others. eg look at the Alpkit Airlok Xtra dry bags, they are thicker, stronger material than the regular lightweight versions.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I would be wrapping the tools in a bit of rag too. Tbh.

km79
    Free Member

I think for something that was well under a tenner (which I hope a 3l dry bag from gooutdoors was) and made of lightweight material, I wouldn’t waste much time on arguing about who was at fault. Furthermore if my common sense wasn’t up to figuring out unprotected metal objects would rub holes in said lightweight material, I wouldn’t be admitting it on a public forum.

CountZero

I would be wrapping the tools in a bit of rag too. Tbh.

It’s what I always did, and still do if carrying any multitools or similar, and usually with a strap or similar to stop them rattling, and the rag, cloth or whatever is handy for wiping mucky hands as well. I’d never just chuck a bunch of random tools into a bag and hope for the best.

docgeoffyjones

Even if it was your mistake they should of refunded you as your good will towards them is probably worth more than the cost of a dry bag.

simondbarnes

I’d say you were being unreasonable.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve had all kinds of things in my waterproof Ortlieb pannier, up to and including three bricks. None of these have ever caused any sort of issue whatsoever. I would expect a dry sack to be able to cope with multitools and suchlike, much as the OPs previous dry sack did, doesn’t seem unreasonable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Last time I checked ortlieb didn’t claim to be ultralite ripstop nylon like his drybag.

stealthcat

Now I’ve calmed down a bit, there are two reasons they have lost a customer.

1. The immediate reaction was to try to sell me another drybag by a different manufacturer. A 12l drybag as a suitable replacement for a 3l one.

2. I got a very strong feeling that if Jon had gone in instead, he would have got a rather different reaction. It felt very patronising and not the kind of attitude I would expect these days – like some of the high-end bike shops ten years ago.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve had all kinds of things in my waterproof Ortlieb pannier, up to and including three bricks. None of these have ever caused any sort of issue whatsoever.

Cool story obviously.

But not really relevant in a conversation about an £8 Ultralight ripstop nylon drybag. 🤔

…able to cope with multitools and suchlike, much as the OPs previous dry sack did

Unless the previous bag was also an ultralight  ripstop nylon one, then it is no more relevant than your heavy duty waterproof pannier comparison.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

My wife had a pair of stockings that were guaranteed not to get ladders in then . Well I used one of them to carry my chefs knives in and the tight wads won’t give me a refund . Suitably outraged .

cheekyboy
    Free Member

How do they survive with such terrible customer service, what a complete shower!

taxi25
    Free Member

Thank God I’m not working in retail anymore. Honestly OP sort yourself out mate !!!

TheWrongTrousers

Get something made from recycled innertubes from Beerbabe.co.uk

Northwind

I can see why you went where you did, but, it’s a product advertised as ultralight so if you suspected you were pushing it at all with the sort of “gear” you’d put in it- which I think maybe you did- then it shouldn’t come as a total shock, mtbing is hard on kit so using lightweight, non mtb kit is always chancy. Just write off the (small) loss and move on, and use the info you’ve gained to get something more appropriate- it’s never a waste to find out something doesn’t work.

kayak23

Might be worth a quick letter to your MP.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Even if it was your mistake they should of refunded you as your good will towards them is probably worth more than the cost of a dry bag.

Everything that is wrong with attitudes towards retail in one sentence.FML

nickc

You put sharp pointy relatively heavy metal tools in a lightweight fabric bag (regardless of its waterproof qualities) and now you’re surprised it has holes in it?

Have a word with yourself, chap

bsims
    Free Member

Whilst I think that keeping metal tools in a fabric bag is pushing your luck, I have never had an issue with this.  I think you have learnt more about the shop in question than the perils of lightweight materials. Complaining is going to be waste your time as I think you should have at least suspected what might happen.
    <div class=”bbcode-quote”>

<div class=”bbcode-quote”>

I’ve had all kinds of things in my waterproof Ortlieb pannier, up to and including three bricks. None of these have ever caused any sort of issue whatsoever.

</div>
    Cool story obviously.

But not really relevant in a conversation about an £8 Ultralight ripstop nylon drybag.

</div>
    Surely this is relevant as the bricks in a heavier weight fabric bag would have the same effect as smaller equipment in a lightweight bag. You would have to check weight, hardness and abrasive qualities  of each for accuracy of conclusions, obviously!

docgeoffyjones

Everything that is wrong with attitudes towards retail in one <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>sentence.FML</span>

Patronising a customer for the sake of £8 everything that is wrong with retail these days. FML

lesgrandepotato

My tools have been in a dry bag for the last 8years or so. It’s not worn through.

I’ll check the brand for you.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So a retailer should replace anything a customer doesn’t like if it’s low enough value?

This will just encourage the customer to be even less realistic

joshvegas
    Free Member

Why would you keep your tools in a watertight wrapoer?

If mine get wet i dry them. If you get them wet mid ride frim use they’ll not dry in the bag. So you have to take them out and dry them and the bag.

poly
    Free Member

Buy a decent tool and it won’t rust, then you can forget about the dry bag.  I’m not a weight weeny but the idea of carrying a dry bag to keep tools dry is odd to me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are part of the problem OP.

Too entitled for your own good IMO.

I’d imagine  you’ll complain and feel aggrieved at reading 90% of the posts on here that counter your grievances.

And:

I wouldn’t be admitting it on a public forum.

docgeoffyjones

So a retailer should replace anyrhanya customer doesn’t like if it’s low enough value?

If i found myself in the same situation as the OP i would expect a refund/credit/replacement I would not expect someone to be rude to me. I they had been more focused on customer service there is every chance they might of be able to turn this situation into the sale of a more expensive dry bag.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Expect a refund AND happy to be upsold a replacement?

jecca
    Free Member

Not fit for purpose.

A ripstop drybag that can’t cope with 2 small multi tools for one ride is a bit rubbish.  Have you tried to re wrap them to see what happened, what was the pokey bit causing the holes do you think?

If you can’t see a genuine problem with the packing and tools then it’s money back

nealglover
    Free Member

If i found myself in the same situation as the OP i would expect a refund/credit/replacement

And you would be wrong too.

Why should all the other customers fund your entitled attitude?

Even if it was your mistake they should of refunded you..

No. They should explain that you need to learn not to buy the wrong kit, or actually ask for advice before buying something (If the OP had done this, it would have been fine to demand a refund, and they would have got one)

If I do something daft and damage my kit, I pay to replace it. Why do you think you shouldn’t have to ?

docgeoffyjones

Expect a refund AND happy to be upsold a replacement?

I assume the OP wanted a refund because she would like to put the money to a new dry bag? consider not that many shops sell dry bags there is a strong chance that a refund or credit would then be spent on a more expensive dry bag in Go outdoors.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 188 total)

The topic ‘Unreasonable or unfit for purpose?’ is closed to new replies.