• This topic has 103 replies, 75 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Unrealistic school trips part 2. The meeting…
  • toys193
    Free Member

Nope – normal state high school, in a normal town. My daughter goes to the same school as wrightyson’s. Looks like we should start saving now!

I had a feeling that was the case. I think I would be a bit irritated too.
    A lesson in how to deal with disappointment pending then.
    When I was a kid I soon learned that it was pointless to expect to go on the ski trip and other exotic things, didn’t bother me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

A great opportunity to teach jnr about money and how much things cost.
    Maybe a bit young to school,her in the ways of ‘taking the piss’ but start them early I say.

russ295
    Free Member

My daughter is going to Cambodia next year on a similar trip. Total is £3800 or thereabouts, it’s a 4 week trip that mainly involves volunteer work.
    It’s half paid for now by a few fundraising nights, raffles etc. Lots of local company’s have been hugely generous. The Barbour factory have donated 2 vouchers for jackets to raffle, a local garage, £250 and a free valet to raffle plus many others.
    If this was a trip to Dubai to sit around a pool I’d of said no, but I think it will do her good to experience how other cultures live and fend for herself for a while.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou

The supervision dliemma was solved by the agreement that ‘some’ of the teachers would be sober at all times. What a sacrifice!

You do realise that these teachers are in loco parentis, for an average 8-10 kids during their “holiday”?

A free trip to San Fran sounds like good value (for the actual parents).

ourmaninthenorth

I attended a public school. But I was a local scholarship boy whose parents weren’t flush at the time.

Like bigdummy, these sort of trips (they were c£2k in the early/mid 90s) were out of reach to me. That’s a life lesson right there in learning how to manage your place in the world among the kids of some well off people.

These days I could afford that for my daughter, but as many have said that’s the price of a family holiday.

iffoverload
    Free Member

I am sure the price includes a high speed satelite broadband link so that they students can keep up on social media and not feel excluded.

reasonable and necessary part of a young persons education and development IMO should be mandatory,

wrightyson
    Free Member

We’re in a place called belper. It’s a normal state school but doing above average in grades etc. The town is originally an old Mill town so still lots of working class folk around. In the last ten years the town has really upped it’s game and last year won high street of the year 😯
    If you want awesome quiche from the award winning deli and then a choice of 10 different hairdressers then it’s the place to be! But it’s by no means an affluent town!
    Fundraising got mentioned and during the presentation a shot of what a previous participant had raised was shown. He apparently earnt 340 sheets at a **** car boot sale?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

These things make me laugh. Lifestyle experiences for little kiddies hidden under the premis of helping the poor. Learning life lessons etc.

What a load of bollox

Say 20 kids go on this trip at £3500 each. That’s £70,000. Its already been noted that either the kids parents or through fundraising (IE doing some meaningless gesture so parent then dips into their pockets anyhow).

You want to teach them a life lesson. Get them to do the fundraising so they get the ‘experiences’ then break it to them that you are transferring the money abroad to invest in a few local businesses (One being setting a guy up as a builder/decorator). £70,000 is probably enough to set up a dozen new business over there and they will last longer than a few weeks of kids pissing about.

If that doesn’t rest well, why not pay a group of homeless, out of work ex forces guys/gals to go over and work for a year. I bet they could achieve a lot more than a load of privalidged kids.

Don’t forget, they get the life experience of proper sacrifice when they realise they aren’t going on a ‘free’ holiday.

ransos
    Free Member

Like bigdummy, these sort of trips (they were c£2k in the early/mid 90s) were out of reach to me. That’s a life lesson right there in learning how to manage your place in the world among the kids of some well off people.

We spend all of our adult lives having to deal with money. I’d rather kids were able to kids, and not have to worry about it. Really, the school shouldn’t be putting parents in this position.

yunki
    Free Member

The annual ski trip at my 80s comprehensive school always left us with a very clear understanding of who was one of us and who was one of them

prettygreenparrot

Depending on the kind of trip it is, raising the money to go is an authentic part of the experience.

So far we’ve had primary school PGL-type trips to fund. Not so expensive and they worked well. I like it when we pass by places in the Peaks or Lakes that our children call out as ‘been there’.

Last year was a trip to Normandy & Bayeux. At about £350 that seemed OK. But much more and I’d balk unless we were also talking about how to raise the money through work and events.

leffeboy

It’s a trip to Malawi. The company organising are these guys.

Ah, it’s one of those ‘businesses’. That explains all

as you were

If that doesn’t rest well, why not pay a group of homeless, out of work ex forces guys/gals to go over and work for a year

Or just pay local people. It’s a business 🙁

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Fundraising got mentioned and during the presentation a shot of what a previous participant had raised was shown. He apparently earnt 340 sheets at a **** car boot sale?

“Earnt”

More likely he sold a couple of grands worth of nearly new/not at all knackered stuff for a fraction of it’s value.

Guess who paid for the kit in the first place.

My last school had a French exchange, i went twice. Didn’t go on the german exchange. (They were actual exchanges, we had to put a french kid up for a fortnight, twice) Only cost about £200 quid for transport and trips when we got there, food and accom was covered by the host family.

A small group were offered the chance to go to the US every year, same deal for the Russian trip. My folks took one look at the initial letter, and threw it in the bin.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it will do her good to experience how other cultures live and fend for herself for a while.

Hah.

You mean live for a couple of weeks in a self-congratulatory bubble with your mates having a santised (sorry – “curated”) experience and leave thinking you’re a humanitarian worker.

Pfft.

philjunior
    Free Member

If you want to give her a good experience, get her on a proper outwards bound course. That cost is just a piss take, someone is making money, and I doubt there is significant benefit to the locals (although some similar schemes do seem to give some benefit on top of the “experience” of the middle class white kids).

If it was your daughter wanting to do it off her own back it would be a bit different, but as a “school trip” it’s ridiculous.

boobs

I think I explained that my two could go skiing with the school or do diy in a hot place, at the moment one has been skiing the other is waiting to go skiing. Our local school has trips like this regularly and I also wonder how people with 3 or so children afford it as “its not fair” if you “only” send one.
    I would rather put it towards Uni or house or car.
    Apparently it is a life skill they need to learn. Its also one I don’t have.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You want to teach them a life lesson.

Buy a half acre plot with the money and get them to double dig it. That’ll learn em 😈

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

My partner’s son did a Cambodia one last year. Same cost and he raised a fair chunk. The teaching they did is unlikely to have changed lives, and he isn’t any more keen on eating interesting food. Some leadership skills learnt perhaps …

I think he’d have learned more about himself and others by using the same dosh to do a ski season or travel independently next year.

Nice business to be in…

Rockape63
    Free Member

There sure are some grumpy old sods on this thread, that’s for sure!

Not that I’m any different I hasten to add! 8)

hamishthecat

We spend all of our adult lives having to deal with money. I’d rather kids were able to kids, and not have to worry about it. Really, the school shouldn’t be putting parents in this position

I do wonder what sort of relationship with their kids some people have. If you can’t afford it, just say so. Kids don’t have to be protected from all the unfairness in the world and as things go this is pretty minor.

ransos
    Free Member

I do wonder what sort of relationship with their kids some people have. If you can’t afford it, just say so. Kids don’t have to be protected from all the unfairness in the world and as things go this is pretty minor.

But that was my point – in this case, the school shouldn’t be putting parents into the position of having to say no.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just had a letter from school regarding the 2018 trip to Swaziland to help a school out there.
    £3379 per pupil …. and I’ve got twins there!
    Thankfully they have already decided that it’s too expensive – I feel bad though 🙁

Northwind

We went to the museum once. It rained

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Looking briefly at the OP’s link, is it some kind of Operation Rally thing where you go and save baby elephants or connect a village to a water supply so they can start growing drugs?

My wife went to Africa and had to raise the £2k or whatever it was back in the day.

Also some of my friends raised money to go on what appeared to be an expensive piss up canoeing down the Yukon River when they were in Venture Scouts.

Or is this the equivalent of the school residential trip that I did to some shitty hostel in the Yorkshire Dales in my early teens?

tiim
    Free Member

It’s a trip to Malawi

I live in Malawi at the moment, you can fly here for £700ish and then live like a king for a month on the remainder. For perspective the minimum wage here is <£1/day.

Harry_the_Spider

How much would it cost to provide the locals with the necessary training and building equipment to do it themselves?

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot less than 70 grand I’d imagine.

How many teachers could you train for that?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not as many as you think molgrips

Go read land of second chances for an interesting cycling related perspective on the challenges faced and a good explanation of the black hole of charity.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

As a VI Former I went on an A-Level History field trip to the USA. It was expensive. I paid half and my parents paid half.

It had zero educational benefit, but I did finger a cheerleader. Which, I feel, made the whole thing worth it.

cranberry
    Free Member

But that was my point – in this case, the school shouldn’t be putting parents into the position of having to say no.

I’d say that was at least one of the educational aspects of this trip – those parents who want to wrap their kids in cotton wool and be their best friends get to explain to them that you don’t automatically get everything that you want whenever you want it.

zap
    Free Member

Only child came home with a similar letter a few weeks ago, £4170.00 for a 4 week trip to PERU in 2018 which includes a trek to Machu Picchu, benefits include earning UCAS points equivalent to an AS level. He didn’t want to go, even though we said he could. (nice grand parents would have contributed) Niece went to the Himalayas last year on a similar trip.

onehundredthidiot

I’ve had dealing with outlook expeds and they are slick.

They run training days/weekends before hand for both pupils and teachers and make sure that staff are trained in exped first aid. These trips are a min of 14 days. They also take the financial organisation and draw up payment plans with parents as well as organising fund raising.

Still a lot of money though.

Edukator
    Free Member

benefits include earning UCAS points equivalent to an AS level.

That smells pretty bad.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yer,..’smarts a bit of paying for UCAS point to me that

Northwind

Was that with Camps International? They (and others but they’re the big name) do the ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness. It sounds bullshitty but it’s an actual thing (every so often it causes a Daily Wail outrage, along with pony club and dance certification) It’s no more buying UCAS points than doing night school is.

Whether or not you believe it’s equal to an AS level is another thing mind.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, so it’s a recognised course.

In that case fine, bit steep mind but hey..

ferrals
    Free Member

If only the D was an L, that would be a good certificate 😆

epicyclo

8 kids died on one of my son’s school trips.

The school had economised on the bus charter to cut costs. The brakes failed descending a mountain and it went over the edge packed with kids. Several other kids were maimed for life.

I never let my kids go on school trips after that.

enfht
    Free Member

Jeepers.

Xylene
    Free Member

^^ That is why you never put a whole year group on the same flight if you can help it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Unrealistic school trips part 2. The meeting…’ is closed to new replies.