Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Unplugged riding – Do you?
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Curious comments regarding people being “bothered” while out riding. My phone often rings while I’m on the trail. I just ignore it!
    It’s there for me to use if I need to and if my wife needs me, she has a specific ring tone and doesn’t “bother” me unless it’s an absolute necessity.
    I can’t see how using strata or any other form of ride recording is inconvenient or difficult if you want it.
    I’m not advocating either preference, just saying. If you’ve got an argument for or against something, at least formulate it with some believable logic.

mcnultycop

Garmin Forerunner on wrist but only ever viewed to check the time. Upload rides when I remember.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Nothing for me, I still have no use fir a mobile. I work hard to have play time no way I want to be hassled when not there

Tess
    Free Member

My soundtrack is bird song, wind in trees, rustling leaves crackling frozen mud. If I want to know how far I have gone I have been known to measure it on an OS map with a piece of string. Technotastic.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

I have a GPS logger, which is a small box with an on/off button that I put in my pack. So when I’m riding I am ‘unplugged’.

But when I get home I can download my GPS track so I can see where I’ve been… which is great when you’ve been shown around somewhere new. Yes I do upload to Strava to keep a record of all the places I have been, and I am interested in my times up some segments some of the time.

I also really like our Strava club – it’s a good why of finding new people to ride with, and new places to check out. But it’s not a race… well, it’s very rarely a race!

papamountain
    Free Member

Only mtb. Endomondo on my phone in my jacket pocket, dont mess with it while im out, just start and stop. Then when I get home I have a quick look at endomondo details and export to strava as my local trails are Swinley forest and there’s loads of segments to compare, always get a better time on something, if not the whole ride.

matt_outandabout

Occasionally I chuck a GPS in the back of my rucsack. I never faff with it until I am home. The only stops are for cake, map reading and a suitable view or ambience that needs soaking up.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member

Occasionally I chuck a GPS in the back of my rucsack. I never faff with it until I am home. The only stops are for cake, map reading and a suitable view or ambience that needs soaking up.

Now that is my kind of riding!

robbieh
    Free Member

Phone for emergency s, don’t know how many miles or how fast, don’t care just so long as I enjoy it. my mates are the same..

Duggan

Always have Strava on, but what’s the difference? I just put it on and go for a ride. Sometimes I feel like attacking an ascent to get the blood pumping, sometimes I don’t. This wouldn’t change regardless of whether I was Strava’ring my ride or not.

Even if you go for a ride that’s just ambling along and exploring at a slow pace with pub stops, why wouldn’t you bother recording it? You just press ‘go’ on your watch or phone and that’s it 😕

Obviously if you don’t ever record your rides than fine, but it seems odd to record some but not others to me.

rentachimp
    Free Member

Love Strava. I know it’s not mega accurate, but it’s quite exciting to finish a ride where you feel you were riding strong, and getting the results through to confirm that, especially on a tricky climb or a challenging down.
    It’s also nice to see how you stack up on popular segments.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Unplugged riding – Do you?’ is closed to new replies.