Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Unpadded winter tights also good for running and gym use?
  • yohandsome
    Free Member

Looking for a pair of unpadded do-it-all all weather winter (down to 0C) tights that I can also use for running and at the gym for less than £40. Suggestions?

Tried Decathlon’s btwin winter tights but the huge pads ruined them for me, also have a pair of adidas running tights that are a bit too thin for winter use.

huckersneck
    Free Member

I’ve just got two sets of unpadded bibs for use with a padded short or tight (if it’s baltic) underneath and am impressed with both:

https://www.merlincycles.com/force-z68-bib-tights-without-pad-166252.html?loggedIn=1
    Dead cheap, not hot roubaix but still slightly fuzzy on the inside surface, fit well

https://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-thermal-roubaix-bib-tights-without-pad-48002.html
    Slightly more expensive but great quality, slightly odd to put on due to the panel cut but fit well once on, propper fluffy backed (roubaix?) fabric.

scotroutes

Tracksters.

/eot

Mattbike
    mrb123
    Free Member

Powerstretch tights are great for cold conditions. Rab do some good ones as do various other brands.

savoyad

Decathlon XC skiing tights?
    Might be a bit warm in the gym though.

avdave2

Do they need to be aero?:-)

lunge

Decathlon winter running tights.
    I find them far to warm for running, but I run hot and can only just cope with thin tights when its below 2 or 3 degrees, anything warmer and the legs are out.
    They’ll be a bit low at the back, but then I guess most non-cycling tights will be anyway.
    I’d cook in XC skiing tights, but others who run cooler may be fine.

globalti
    Free Member

Ron Hill Tracksters, there’s a good reason why they are so popular. And if you leave the stirrups off they ride up your legs and make you look more muscular and your packet bigger.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kinda.

IME winter cycling kit tends to be less stretchy and more fitted as it’s less stretchy than summer kit. So it’s comfy when crouched on a bike, less so when stood up. Running kit is obviously cut differently, fine when running, but bunches up in your crotch and falls down your arse on a bike.

Tracksters/bikesters* are good, but not all that warm compared to Roubaix style fabrics.

I usually take a set of thermal decathlon (the kipsta ones are really good, I got some domyos ones which were nowhere near as well fitting or stretchy) leggings on bikepacking trips for the evenings. Like bikesters, but with a fleece lining. Only ever wear them on a bike in emergencies though.

*tracksters were the running version, hence my comment above about running stuff not fitting for cycling and vice versa.

yohandsome
    Free Member

@savoyad looked at those, might be good, decathlon has a flexible return policy so could try.

@avdave2
    what tights aren’t aero?? ;p

Some options (to reiterate looking for tights not pants, want compression)

Sugoi – Subzero Cycling Tight €30

Adidas Alphaskin Climawarm €27 (warm enough? they also have Climaheat products not sure if warmer)

Inovik Tights Warm Langlauf XC S 100 €20 dechatlon

Kipsta Keepdry Tights 100 or 900 €13-€17 dechatlon @thisisnotaspoon which one?

jobro
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kipsta Keepdry Tights 100 or 900 €13-€17 dechatlon @thisisnotaspoon which one?

Mine are “Kipsta Keepdry 900”, they’re seriously warm though. I wouldn’t want to do exercise indoors in them (which is another good point, winter cycling kit would be horrible on an exercise bike let alone a gym, and gym kit is designed to cool you down not keep you warm).

As a rule lycra fabrics are cooling because they wick moisture into them then stay damp as it evaporates (i.e. you get big sweat patches in contact with your skin that cool you), poly (proylene, ester, aminde) are water repellent, so sweat (and rain) tend to bead and off, and they wont cling to your skin even when soaking wet (i’ve got polypropylene base layers for wearing under wetsuits in winter, even after compete immersion they come off dry because they rob you of very little body heat evaporating water).

avdave2

what tights aren’t aero??

Well the Ron Hill Tracksters aren’t but they are pretty close to indestructible and the others in the gym may thank you for wearing them in preference to something more revealing! Actually scrap that, you’re in Berlin, no one will even notice.:-)

slowoldman

Well if you’re going to buy a £1500 bike I would suggest you can afford the appropriate garment for each sport. I certainly wouldn’t want to wear my unpadded bibtights for running, or indeed a pair of Ron Hills for cycling. Back in the day when I was known to go out running on the hills in winter, I picked up a pair of slightly furry Calange tights with slightly heavier furry bits over the thigh muscles. They were quite good. I’ve no idea if anything similar exists, I packed in running. What does it say in Animal Farm? Two legs good, two wheels better?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Unpadded winter tights also good for running and gym use?’ is closed to new replies.