Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Unnecessary Bling (what hubs and headset)
  • k1100t
    Free Member

Still waiting on the go ahead to get a new gravel bike. 🙄 While I wait, I’ve started pricing up an alternative set of parts with a load of totally unnecessary Hope bling. Pretty much anything that’s anodised and will fit a RAG+; so the new RX Crankset, RX4 Calipers, seat post clamp, headset spacers, etc, etc.

What I need a bit of help with, is what hubs and headset to get. The RAG+ takes a IS42/IS52 headset, but I have no idea which of the Hope Pick’n’Mix Headsets, if any, will fit…?

Also, if I’m building wheels for this thing, so I go for RS4 hubs, or Pro4 hubs…?

joemmo
    Free Member

The headset is internal so there’s not really any point in getting anything blingy because there’s nothing to see apart from the top cap. Hubs wise I doubt there’s much difference just check the RS4 takes a 15mm axle on the front.

I’m very happy with my RAG+ and while I don’t want to pee on your fire, it might look a little over-dressed with a load of bike jewellery on. It’s a bit more of a down to earth frame set than a boutique model. Obviously just an opinion though

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Might be worth seeing if Onyx Vespa hubs will fit as not only do you have silent drive and instant engagement but a myriad of colours to chose from!

igm

More sealing on a Pro4 I thought but I may be wrong.

Poopscoop

I’d go for Hope hubs personally for about 1000 reasons.. They can also be as bling as you like depending upon colour choice.

funkmasterp

You can’t beat making a bike look like a quality street. Most important questions are what colour is the frame and what colour bling are you considering?

joebristol

There is the danger you end up with a bike looking like it’s straight out of the 90’s if you have too much anodised bling. Especially if it’s purple…..

But then maybe that’s just not my bag, we’re all different and whatever floats your boat.

I do crave a sram xx1 Eagle drivetrain with the fancy oil slick looking cassette and gold chain….but others may think that looks tacky!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I recently got a set of the Onyx Vesper hubs. They are fantastic. However, it looks like prices have gone up since I got my matte black pair (i know they’re bling, my bike doesn’t need to shout it at people).

The instant drive and soft catch is great – but what I really love about them is the silence and free spinning nature.

Swapping freehub standards is mechanically a piece of piss but I don’t think replacement parts are readily available over here.

joemmo
    Free Member

I’m not averse to a bit of colourful bling but would rather spend the money on nice finishing kit (bars, stem, post, saddle etc.) than trinketry. Hope hubs though are worth a spend though, if you can stand the noise.
    FWIW I just got a grey Superstar seatclamp to down-bling my MTB from the orange Hope clamp it has and it’s a much nicer shaped and made object, especially for a road/gravel bike.

k1100t
    Free Member

@funkmasterp the frameset is black, I was considering orange (or maybe purple) and my bling colour.

@joemmo
    I can see your point, but it’s just an exercise in what if at the moment, and will most likely come to nothing. I do have things like the new Spank vibrocore drop bars on the shopping list, so there’s a fair few decent parts selected, this is just about the magic pixie dust.

I was thinking of hubs, floating rotor bits and brake callipers, with headset top cap, spacers, seat clamp, and bottom bracket as other bits. Debating if the new RX Crank is a step too far…

funkmasterp

Orange every time with a black frame for me.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Unnecessary Bling (what hubs and headset)’ is closed to new replies.