Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Unmissable Scottish Rides
  • chevychase

Being laid off by work in time for the b/h weekend.  Job’s off to India (but I’m not, unfortunately). 🙁

I’m off with the missus and a couple of friends to Dumfries and Galloway for the b/h – but I may pack my other half off on a train back down and head north before getting back to the grind (or trying to find some grind to get back to).

So, say you had a week, maybe two, a car at your disposal (but not necessarily needing to use it every day – I’ve also got a lightweight tent at my disposal, and a credit card for the occasional bnb) what would you do, where would you go.

Links to rides, maps, any old ideas.

I’ll be taking my 160mm gnar-poon as my hardtail was nicked and I’m waiting for Cotic to pull their finger out with their new Solaris – so I won’t be multi-day bikepacking – but I like all sorts and aren’t averse to carrying.

Help!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

From D+G I’d head to Fort William/Glencoe/Kinlochleven. Then drive up the West coast to Torridon. Coming back down the east I’d take in Aviemore,Laggan, Dunkeld and finish with Inners and Glentress.

Fort William etc you could spend two to three days and the same at Torridon and GT/inners. The rest could be one day shots with little actual travel time between them.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Are you ruling out D&G / the Borders then…?

Depending on whereabouts you’re staying, there’s *rather* a lot of good riding to be had around these parts… (Up north may well still be caked in snow too).

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Good riding in the borders, iv done a few wee road trips  like the one your looking at. As mentioned could still be snowy.

Can drive from borders to Glencoe after work but arrive pretty late.

Up GlenCoe ride devils staircase accross blackwater damn Ciran path back down devils,

Decent YHA in Glencoe and great pub at Clachaig Inn walk distance

Ride Some natural trail in fort william (i havnt but there are a lot)

head west ride torridon (loads of info on this site for routes) Be aware I have had snow at the camp site there in May!

Very good YHA in Torridon very good walkers bar Torridon hotel free campsite in village but VERY basic.

Head east Aviemore  search for routes before you go (GPS handy) Good YHA there too.

Laggan close by and well worth a ride round

Stop in lakes on way home ride Helvelyn or some other great natural riding

Scottish YHA is different from England. I expect B/H weekend probably  booked up but a lot quieter mid week. Maybe cheaper to pay membership if you stay at a few,but you done need to be a member to stay.

Have fun

A bit of Torridon

chevychase

Thanks for the tips so far.  Not ruling out D&G – that’s what I’m going up there for the bank holiday for, but if I do take the opportunity I’ll probably stick my kayak on the roof of the car too so getting more north (or out to the islands) so that’d be good fun too.

Torridon’s on the radar.  I’ve been to Applecross a couple of times and camped on the beach.  It’s only a hop skip and a jump away and I’ve never ridden there properly.  Ciaran path whilst making my way up is a definite possibility.

Anything out on the islands that’s definitely worth taking the trip for?

lowey

Add Beinn Fhada loop from Morvich on your way up to Torridon.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Up GlenCoe ride devils staircase accross blackwater damn Ciran path back down devils

Ah, the most over-rated descent in Scotland, recommended again…

mugsys_m8

ermmm it’s winter…

chevychase

Dya reckon it’s overrated Nobeer?  I’ve been walking in the area and walked some of it, part of the West Highland Way isn’t it?  Always looked nice.

Yep, I get the point that it’s winter – but the beginning of April is firmly spring.  Any locals know what they’d expect the tracks and trails to be like?  Average temp in April is 9 degrees…

whitestone
    Free Member

The Ciran Path isn’t part of the WHW, it’s on the other side of the burn dropping down to Kinlochleven. NCB’s Devil’s Staircase/Ciran loop is going to give you a lot of bang for your buck, not an easy short loop though.

Winter in the Highlands can stretch well in to May – the Cairngorms Loop group start on the May Day BH weekend has had heavy snow even at low levels. But snow cover will be different in different areas, some might be clear. Just have a few potential target rides and be flexible about things.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chevychase, yes, very much so. The descent from the top of the DS down to the conduit (turn off for BW reservoir) is much better, the CP itself is great for about, oh, 4 or 500m?, then it’s a bouldery pedal along a valley bottom.

As is often said on here (generally by either Northwind or me!) it’s not even the best descent in Kinlochleven.

chevychase

Interesting.  So come on then Nobeer – links please 🙂

scotroutes

Yep, I get the point that it’s winter – but the beginning of April is firmly spring.  Any locals know what they’d expect the tracks and trails to be like?  Average temp in April is 9 degrees…

Aye, 18C at the end of April and 0C at the beginning…..

hodgynd
    Free Member

The Ciaran Path nearly killed me ..after four days of hard riding both myself & my mate had underestimated the ride that we had undertaken ..both out of food & water prior to getting there and I had totally bonked barely being able to concentrate on the trail and came to grief at the start had an off to the left rolling over & over for what seemed like 5 mins and was fortunate that a rotting tree trunk halted my progress ..

I didn’t manage too much of it after that ..but would agree with Nobeer that it is vastly overrated .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Chevychase, I’d get onto strava and cobble a route together from the Nofuss enduro last november and the route the Dudes used to use on their enduro, pretty sure most of it is the same.

mikeastley
    Free Member

Hi, you should have a look at this fella on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAID_Fku4w12xh6biUqC88Q

He also puts his routes on Strava

chevychase

Thanks mikeastley

Anyone do ever do any packrafting in Skirtland?  Strung up your bike and crossed an expanse of water then put it back together?

whitestone
    Free Member

Packrafting/bikerafting: I’ve seen a few blog posts and videos.

Huw Oliver did a trip around the Western Isles Actually, search on his blog for rafting and there’s four hits.

Here’s a film of Lee Craigie about bikerafting Cape Wrath.

I’m sure that there are others.

Sanny
    Free Member

Packrafting you say. Why yes I say! I did the two day course with backcountrybiking then did a three day paddle down the Spey. It was marvellous.

However, I now have a wizard wheeze up my sleeve. I am about to order a diypackraft from diypackraft.com to build one up for an article paddling over Rannoch Moor with my bike. What could possibly go wrong?

Being Scottish, I couldn’t justify the best part of two grand for a boat so decided to do it myself for a whacking great saving. The money I save will pay for gear and trips away. Win!

https://singletrackworld.com/2013/03/bike-rafting-with-the-pro’s-part-1/

Bike Rafting With the Pro’s – Day 2

Enjoy!

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Ps Apostrophe rage!

chevychase

Well you fekkers are almost making me subscribe! 🙂

I guess with the imminent heave-ho from work it’d be imprudent to wang a wadge on packrafting gear when I’ve got a perfectly serviceable kayak that’s designed to carry enough gear for multi-day (or week) trips but it’s certainly something I might treat myself to when I land my next job. I’ve just “wasted” yet another evening watching vids and reading blogs.

Liked the Cape Wrath video.  Took a trip there last year and had a glorious days ride to the lighthouse, bike on the very friendly ferryman’s (and shortly afterwards very drunk ferryman’s) boat, blue skies and beautiful seas, sandwiched between 80mph winds that meant I slept with my tent mostly pressed into my face. It’s definitely got me hankering for a return up that way. 🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve canoed over Rannoch and I’d give a packraft about ten minutes on Loch Ba 🙂

Its got horrible razor sharp rocks lurking a millimetre or two below the surface, all covered with green and red royalex from the hulls of a thousand canoes.

Brilliant trip tho, but the shuttle from hell if you don’t do it out and back.

sweepy
    Free Member

Aye, 18C at the end of April and 0C at the beginning…..

Its funny, cos it’s true.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Unmissable Scottish Rides’ is closed to new replies.