Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Unlocking Orange HTC phones – problems and advice please?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Was going to be buying a secondhand HTC Hero of here. The phone is locked to Orange but I’m on O2. Was going to get the phone unlockled which will cost me extra.

I have just rung up 02 to see how to get the settings for internet etc once the phone is unlocked and have been told that even if the phone is unlocked, I will be able to make calls in and out but the chap pointed out that I would have continual setting problems with Smartphone features and internet etc due to Orange loading up there own software and tweaking the HTC to there needs. The guy seemed on the level with none of the usual O2 customer service crap, he just seemed to be giving proper advice.

Is this true?
    Has anybody on here unlocked a htc successfully for all features? If so how?

Really want the phone but I don’t want to be left with a phone I cant use.

Cheers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aren't the relevant settings just texted to your sim by O2? That's what orange have done for me on buying (unbranded) sh phones.

Rik
    Free Member

This seems to be due to Orange software loaded on the phone??

xc-steve
    Free Member

If O2 don't text you the updated settings etc. XDA forums will probably be able to help you!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?s=aaf0a311ddebb2d86702e0106ea586c3&f=508

Not sure what Android is like but I know with Windows Smartphones you can just rebuild it to factory settings etc or re-brand to O2.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If it is an issue, there may well be a way of de-branding the phone, you can with nokias albeit it kills the transferrable warranty.

funkynick

You can download and install completely different versions of Android for your phone. Once you have done that then there won't be any Orange software on your phone…

By the looks of it, by doing that you could end up with Android 2.2 before us Desire owners get the official release!

Cougar

This. Branding is cobblers on Android, you can (and probably should) just wipe the bugger and start again.

Is it actually definitely locked to Orange? I thought they'd stopped doing that.

Cougar

Also, when I've wiped my Samsung in the past and forgotten to write down the APN settings (the O2-specific connection stuff), I told the device to go get them automatically, and it worked.

Cammer
    Free Member

You need to install a modaco rom http://android.modaco.com/category/409/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/

Also need an unlock code. I managed it in several nervous hours, but not something i'd do again. There is always the chance you could brick the phone of course.

funkynick

I think it's a lot harder to brick an Android phone than some other types, mainly because there is a built in boot-loader that you can start the phone up in. It's used to reset the phone to factory settings and the like, and it also where you install the new ROM from…

Rik
    Free Member

So i'm told its locked to orange and its an orange branded phone rather than just generic.(orange logo on the rear of the phone)

On ties forums it states that orange htc phones use non standard unlock codes to due to software changes

Rik
    Free Member

So i'm told its locked to orange and its an orange branded phone rather than just generic.(orange logo on the rear of the phone)

On ties forums it states that orange htc phones use non standard unlock codes to due to software changes

funkynick

Orange should be able to provide a lock code for the phone, I think that are legally required to, however they can charge for it…

Once you have that you should then be able to do anything you want with the phone.

Cougar

Ok.

An Orange "branded" phone with their logo will be just a different fascia, it's the same phone.

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure it's possible to operator-lock an Android device. Are you sure those forums are referring to the Hero rather than 'other' HTC devices (ie, WinMo units)?

What you -might- have an issue with, however, is Google apps. I remember there were rumblings that Orange were replacing the Google stuff with their own versions. Assuming they went ahead with this (I'm on O2 so not sure), I don't know where you'd stand if you wanted the full "Google Experience" here. You can probably retro-fit them, but whether you can do that legitimately is another matter.

Cougar

Your best bet, in honesty, is to ask here: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero/

funkynick

Cougar… you can install a different Android version from a downloaded ROM, when you do this all of the software is held within that ROM, and so you use that instead of anything that was on the phone previously.

It's like a small computer, and you are installing a different operating system.

Cougar

Nick > yeah, I know this. I'm going off issues others have had with custom ROMs on my handset; installing third party images can snooker the Gapps.

davcow
    Free Member

Yes it is possible for the android phones to be operator locked.
    And it is not done in the phones ROM. I am sure that there are guides available on the XDA Devs forums on unlocking the phones.

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.

All seems rather complex re-programming the phone.

Orange will provide an unlock code for £20. The phone unlocking shops will also unlock the phone, but neither will commit to if that software/ROM problems will be fixed this way.

Arghh this seems complex

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I got an Orange W995 sent and it had "accidentally" (I assume) been de-branded. It was brilliant – loads of games, loads of software, etc. Then it broke so I got a replacement – this time branded. Absolute pantaloons in comparison and EVERYTHING is geared to making you spend more money.

With my Desire (and most similar phones) you can just ditch the Orange cr4p and use alternatives – a real boon!

Warranties can be an issue though if you debrand a phone.

mieszko
    Free Member

Been there, done that 🙂 Bought a boxed HTC Hero for my brother on Orange. It turnes out Orange put their own lock and most of the codes off ebay will not work. It later turned out the phone was blocked (not reported stolen, but network blocked for some other reason, You can get a IMEI report for couple quid), seller refunded me the cash as that was "a friends phone he was selling and he wasn't aware of that" and I just got a T-mobile branded phone. £7 and 30min later I had a unlock code off ebay and it worked beautifully on the T-mobile one. Now my bro has a completely unlocked and debranded phone and can use it on 3UK. If Orange wants £20 for an unlock code, and You prefer the grey colour it would be best to try that, as I read through some forums and it was always a PITA to unlock it yourself. However You can just sell it on and get a t-mobile or unbranded one for basically same price. Plenty of HTC Hero around now.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Unlocking Orange HTC phones – problems and advice please?’ is closed to new replies.