Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Universal, idiot proof roof rack at a decent price?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Need a 2 bike carrier that will easily transfer between my Mondeo and the mrs’ Sportage. Was thinking one of the rockbros suction ones, people seem to say they’re decent. Are there any others that won’t be a faff transferring between both cars and are small to store?
    Cheers as always.

chevychase

Thule foldable jobby on my towbar. Got a four bike one.

Expensive, but well built.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

We’ve no towbars by the way. I should have mentioned that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The suction ones work well. I’ve a 2 bike one lives in the boot of Mrs brain’s panda and it’s spot on, easy to fit, small to store and does a good job of holding the bikes. I had to get a couple of boost adapters machined mind but a bit of 15mm id tube would be fine if you’re less fussy about a proper solution than me. (I think there are spacers available which are exactly that)

a11y

RockBros 1-bike rack user here for the past few months and I’m happy with it. No issues with sucker strength or losing suction etc. I was wary of a ‘non-physical’ attachment at first and tip-toed around corners, but once I got over that I’ve just driven as normal.

I really didn’t want permanent roofbars for my car, plus they’re not cheap anyway due to scarcity. Couldn’t justify Seasucker cost for occasional use (got a van too but sometimes its nice to take the car). Other negative of Seasucker was the cost of axle adaptors – I’ve got a mix of 100×15, 110×15 and QR. RockBros included adaptors for QR and 100×15 and I bought extra adaptors for 110×15 for <£5.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eeXAan]2019-04-21 Monaro (1)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Qu5Bic]2019-01-08 RockBros mount (5)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Qu5BdH]2019-01-08 RockBros mount (4)[/url] by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s brilliant. Think I’ll get the rockbros 2 bike carrier, with adaptors in case of future bike changes too. Cheers for the info.

bloodyshins
    Free Member

Plus one for the rock bros. Had mine about 4 months now and it’s great. Regularly ragged around Peak District B roads and tanked down the motorway for hours on end. Solid as a rock. I went for the 3 bike one even though 95% of the time it’s only used for one bike as I thought more suction cups equals more secure. It’s rock solid. A few minor issues to keep an eye on though…
    the supplied adapters can be a bit loose and can fall out when a bike’s not on it. I lost one and the replacement I ordered came fitted with o rings that hold them in much better.
    The adapters are close together. On my 3 bike carrier, if I drive one of my mates that has a similar bar height to me, we have to loosen the stem & turn the bars on one of the bikes as they hit each other. Not a problem if one bike has heightened bars than the other. If I wanted to take 3 bikes, all the bars would need to be turned 90degrees. You do need to keep the rubber cups clean, they come with clip on covers but I’m lazy and noticed two of the pump buttons had come out the other week. The cups were still very firmly attached but it worried me. Popped it off and the cups were filthy with muck and grit. Cleaned them up and it’s been perfect again. It’s also good to pull the pump buttons out every now and again & squirt some silicone lube in there to keep the seals fresh. If you don’t want to put a muddy wheel in your boot then it’s a good idea to buy some old school toe straps and just strap the front wheel to the side of your frame once it’s up on the roof.

kittyr
    Free Member

Wow I didn’t even know you could get such a thing – this is a mazing

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Bit of advice on this. I need an adaptor for my forks. 2018 X fusion sweep on my soul. It’s a 15mm axle but the seller is asking if I need 100mm or 110mm? Anyone know which I need? Cheers.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Just an update. I got the rockbros one for about £120 with a 15mm adaptor for my bike. What an amazing bit if kit. So so easy to put on and secure and take off, couldn’t recommend it enough.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Universal, idiot proof roof rack at a decent price?’ is closed to new replies.