• This topic has 181 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by loum.
Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)
  • United v Real tonight. Any predictions?
  • mrmoofo

Odd that ManU felt that it was their “right ” to win.
    It was red card ….
    Had it been done the other way around – i.e on a MU player you would be howling for execution.

As a City fan, I wanted ManU to go through – keep ’em tired and distracted, I say …
    The the absolute sour puss attitude of SAF and the fans is priceless and churlish. you lost , because one player had the red mist come down , and being at OT, he would get away with it. Players surroundng the ref, no matter what the issue is not acceptable. I believe FIFA say onl the captains can remonstrate?
    Look at the replay – Nani follows through , he continues to extend his leg to try and “rake” the RM player …

Cos things never, ever go ManYoos way …

Shame , though, as it means they have the title in the bag

portlyone

Baiting aside, do you honestly think that was a red card?

Peter Crouch didn’t get red carded for a far more dangerous raised foot at the weekend.

Look at the replay – Nani follows through , he continues to extend his leg to try and “rake” the RM player

🙄

ransos
    Free Member

Peter Crouch didn’t get red carded for a far more dangerous raised foot at the weekend.

Yes, I do.

The Crouch one was interesting, his foot was raised (even higher) but he didn’t lead with his studs. Did he get booked?

theotherjonv

he didn’t ‘get the red mist’ – it was a tackle without intent to injure , but going for a ball at chest height with a studs up leap is reckless / likely to endanger the safety of other players, hence why it’s a red card. The laws are clear – in fact if you tackle like that the offence is committed even if you don’t catch the player at all, it’s tackling in a way that endangers a player, not actually injures him.

If we started enforcing that then every match would have to be abandoned as there would be no-one left on the pitch by half time.

Personally, so be it; they need to start enforcing the rules around dissent. It’s completely endemic, right down to children’s leagues, and that’s not a good thing.

It’ll be carnage for about two weeks, and then they’ll learn pretty quick to keep their mouths shut.

Why i packed up refereeing.

binners

If the letter of the law was being followed, then it is indeed a straight red. But then it would also be an instant dismissal every time anyone even attempted doing something like this:

Technically, its dangerous play, and you’re walking. And wouldn’t football be all the better for it? A bit of discretion is required

grum
    Free Member

I’d say its perhaps debatable but nowhere near the outrage that some are claiming. Strict interpretation of the rules rather than a mistake.

Mackem

Nani had his back to Arbeloa, he didnt even know the Arbeloa was steaming in for the ball. Nani was merely trying to get at a badly passed ball to him. I’m no Man Utd. fan but that red card was ridiculous (and then the ref goes on to ignore at least 3 good penalty claims)

Klunk
    Free Member

Most dangerous thing I’ve seen on a field for years

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I believe a Van Persie offside was also missed in the lead-up to Utd’s goal? We could go on and on and on. Every game has missed decisions all through the game. Lets face it, rightly or wrongly, very few are going to have any sympathy with Fergie over a questionable (at best, as grum put it) decision.

He was out-thought straight after the red too. If you look at the substitutions – Jose went straight on the attack. Ferguson bottled and didn’t do anything for a while. To be fair, he’s rarely out-thought and he’s probably seething as much at that as at the decision.

theotherjonv

If the letter of the law was being followed, then it is indeed a straight red. But then it would also be an instant dismissal every time anyone even attempted doing something like this

No it wouldn’t because the Guidance Notes to the LOAF make specific comment to this.

“A scissors or bicycle kick is permissable provided that, in the opinion of the referee, it is not dangerous to an opponent”

Whereas:

“A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play”

To the referee last night, the only question he has to answer is whether going for a ball with his studs at chest height endangers an opponent. Once the answer to that is yes, he has no other option because serious foul play = dismissal.

johnellison
    Free Member

Shouldn’t all the players haranguing the referee have been at least carded too?

By the letter of the law, probably yes – had the ref made the right decision about Nani in the first place.

It goes to show what a cheb-ender Rio Ferdinand is though – for him to stand there applauding in the ref’s face after the game is inexcusable, and Gigg’s behaviour wasn’t much better.

The problem is that Fergie will come down on the side of his players, which makes them look dafter yet because they’re trying to defend an undefendable incident – like Dalglish did with the Suarez/Evra incident.

Yes, the ref ruined the game (I don’t agree with Mourinho though, I thought Real were the better team), but in the end the result stands so what are you going to do?

IHN

By the letter of the law, probably yes – had the ref made the right decision about Nani in the first place[b]full stop[/b].

allthepies
    Free Member

Mourinho didn’t agree with Mourinho either. But when you’re positioning yourself as baconface’s heir apparent then anything goes 🙂

BermBandit
    Free Member

..Jeez, its a game, stuff happens, live with it.

Nani: I’ve seen players sent off for less, and not sent off for more as the man said, thats football!
    Ferguson: The mans a disgrace. A successful one admittedly, but I’ve dealt with 9 year olds with more dignity and self control.
    Referee: Not the best, not the worst (The worst was the one in the England Portugal game 2004 Euros)
    Football generally: Bit like cycling, theres something in the Swiss air that makes governing bodies totally stupid. I wish they could grasp a few basic concepts. 1) Its a contact sport, 2) Its professional and needs handling professionally, 3) Cheating needs to be dealt with not ignored.

irelanst
    Free Member

I believe a Van Persie offside was also missed in the lead-up to Utd’s goal?

Ronaldo was offside for his goal as well.

I actually thought the ref did OK, there were a lot of decisions that fall into the seen ’em given category but I think he got most of them right, the keeper punching Vidic (happens all the time and keepers never get punished), Rafael hand ball, Ramos on Rafael, Ramos climbing for the disallowed goal etc.

In the cold light of day I can see why the ref gave a red (although I still think he got it wrong), Nani was high and the ref wouldn’t have seen the fact that he was only looking at the ball. That said, I don’t think anyone would have argued if it was a yellow.

Of course the fact that the ref follows Real and Ronaldo on twitter might have had some impact on his decision!

theocb
    Free Member

As a neutral I thought the game turned into a classic. The ref didn’t ruin a game at all IMO. Atmosphere at the end was electric. United pulled together and put in a great effort.
    I hoped united could have just got one of their chances with 10mins to go and it would have been an epic ending.

Nani was late, didn’t get the ball and he caught another player in the chest(ish) with his studs.. but just because he couldn’t see the other player that is ok 😕 The ref has hardly cocked it up has he. He had a tough decision to make.

scaredypants

sin bin is what’s needed – 10 min for Nani; 5 min for the Real player for simulating injury

theocb
    Free Member

Then you’d need to add five minutes for Nani for also simulating injury 😀

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Why can’t the footballists accept the idea of a few changes to the game.
    I have played rugby and currently play hockey (yes proper hockey SaxonRider! :wink:) both sports are constantly seeking changes to their respective games to make them flow and improve the game, but football seems to ignore some pretty easy changes that will prevent Baconfaces head exploding under the incredible internal pressure when something does not go his way. My favourites would be:

1: 3 card system – green = caution, yellow = 10 min sin bin, red = ta ta.
    2: zero tolerance of dissent from players or Baconface et al
    3: Rugbyesque call to fourth official with a big screen – at Ref’s discretion
    4: replay appeals – 2 per side per half, if it’s upheld you keep the 2, if you are wrong you lose one appeal
    4: self pass at free kicks – this has really increased the speed of hockey matches.

Oh, and a very entertaining game watched with Italian, English and Spanish in an Italian restaurant in Earl’s Court – lots of noise but no tantrums or bad language – as it should be.

scaredypants

actually, you’re right ocb

then there’s being a ****; another 10 in my book

If he’s not careful he might rollover to the next match

binners

rogerthecat – you’re bang on! The only problem is… have you seen who runs the wonderful world of football…..

The only thing he cares about is how much he’s going to get deposited in his offshore bank account to award the next world cup

loum
    Free Member

Why can’t the footballists accept the idea of a few changes to the game.

‘cos it’s not sport*, it’s a soap opera for blokes.
    The controversy, “storylines”, and points of debate are what sells the papers and, more importantly, the Sky subs – and that’s where the money comes in from.
    The audience are lapping it up from their sofas, and the cash keeps rolling in, why (or who) would they want it different?

*Technically it still is a great sport, especially to play, but that’s not the point.

Viewing 22 posts - 161 through 182 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘United v Real tonight. Any predictions?’ is closed to new replies.