Unfortunate names

• This topic has 115 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Unfortunate names
  • Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

Another work related moment: I got in one morning  and checked the list of detainees in custody. There was a Mr Lettuce, a Mr O’Nions, and a Ms Burger in custody. I was in the process of making a witty observation to the custody officer when I heard over the radio that the proactive team had just arrested a local on warrant by the name of McLaughlin. His nickname was “Big Mac”.

rchallen

Funny thread! At a previous job there was an Indian lady – first name Minjita. Also a guy called Amin Yashed.

Premier Icon NJA
    Subscriber

I know a will writer called Lionel Deadman.

PJM1974

I’m working with a Philippa McCracken.

This thread is making my face hurt.

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

I used to work with a Richard Stribling. He didn’t like being called Dick….

Premier Icon jekkyl
    Subscriber

There’s a parent at my Daughter’s school called ‘Mr Amwellfatti’ and he is, a very large gentleman.

wrightyson

A girl in my daughters class called Megan Bacon. Childish I know but it just makes me laugh everytime🤣

Rickos

Knew a woman in Bristol called Lesley, but being Brizzle it got shortened to Lezzers.  Surname Showering.

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

There was a girl in my kids’ class called Beth Gash.

ell_tell

Not so much unfortunate, but I’ve just discovered we have a librarian at work with the name, ‘David Borrows’, which I thought was quite apt!

GSI-MAN

My dentist was called Mr Topless

I wish his assistant was though.

GSI-MAN

Also just remembered a friends mum was called Ann Baggs and when she got married she was Ann Brake.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I had a conversation with a potential student called Ragina Sexwhale. It’s my job to give advice to these kids, I think I should have said “Go and study somewhere that they don’t speak english”

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

My daughter’s boyfriend is a Richard Broadhead. Unfortunately I didn’t realise she was skyping him when I stated the obvious, loudly.

I used to be good friends with a surgeon called Will Butcher. Can just imagine patients being introduced to him…

Premier Icon docgeoffyjones
    Subscriber

Used to work with a Roman Minge.

biglee1

Bloke in our place called john thomas and I used to work with a right misery guts going by the name of Joe King

nwgiles

we have a staff member named ‘Stella Wang’

Premier Icon sandwicheater
    Subscriber

I met a pair of Australians who were both called Bruce. Unfortunate for them as i then insisted on seeing their passports/ID as i didn’t believe them. I may have been a tad tipsy.

One of them was lying, makes ya think.

mightymule

We get students with veru unfortunate names – highlights include Minnie Cooper, Willie Fidler, and Michael Hunt. Poor buggers!

BillMC

The head and deputy at Whalley Range girls’ school have their names displayed, ”Mrs Hole and Mrs Kane’.

MTB-Idle

Working in a large organisation with a central directory is an endless source of amusement.

My current favourite is Wing Man, great on a night out apparently.

I’ve also worked with a Theresa Green.

Premier Icon manvstarmac
    Subscriber

I am one of those with first and middle name Richard and Edward, in my case finished off with Smith as a surname. Got all the way through school without the short versions being mentioned. In fact it first came up about a year ago, which probably says a lot about the company I currently keep!

thecaptain

Saw the title and thought Sandi Flange deserved a(nother) mention. Irrespective of whether she’s real or urban myth…

Have heard of a Dr De’ath too which surely beats plain old Dave.

Rather liked the story of Lazarus the youthful cyclist in the news recently.

We had a Dr Coffin up the road from us. I know of at least one Dr De’ath, as well. He may have been only Mr De’ath, depending on the specialty.

jp-t853

I went to school with Mike Hunt

I looked him up on Linkedin just a couple of weeks ago as it popped in to my head. He goes by Michael now.

Premier Icon oliverracing
    Subscriber

Chief designer at Williams F1, Ed Wood.

Quiet funny until you’re told to email him with your designs. Yes, on my 4th week there as a student I managed to send about 3 emails to Edward down the other end of the factory, with all the really time critical info, never pausing to think it was odd he hadn’t replied at least with a thanks (Edward was on holiday). My direct boss saw the funny side, shame the guy that needed the parts urgently didn’t as he had to work the weekend!

Premier Icon jaminb
    Subscriber

There was a bloke at our swimming club called Alfred Hookam – everyone called him Alf.

At a concrete factory I worked at the bloke who inspected the concrete products to make sure they were up to scratch and tided them up if not was called Keith Patchit

milky1980

My sister went to school with a guy with the surname Seaman.  He’s now a Doctor of Archaeology.

DrJ

I’ve certainly regretted not finding an excuse for citing any of these papers:

https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=YCXNCKoAAAAJ&hl=en

joshvegas

I once went out with a girl with the surname pheeley.

If we’d got married it was agreed we’d double barrel.

The Pheely-Alcocks had a good ring to it.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Saw the title and thought Sandi Flange deserved a(nother) mention. Irrespective of whether she’s real or urban myth…

A lass at work posted a photo to Facebook of her and her boyfriend on holiday.  The caption was “on the beach with Sandy Farquar,” I thought “I’m not surprised in that bikini.”

At a concrete factory I worked at the bloke who inspected the concrete products to make sure they were up to scratch and tided them up if not was called Keith Patchit

Nominative determinism is fantastic.  The greatest one I ever came across, there’s a lad at work who deals with network security including the management of a TACACS+ server.  His name is Matt Takacs.

Briefly went to school with a Canadian lass called Anita Pfister.

Dad used to work with a guy called Thomas William Angus Taylor…

Edit: just remembered her (much) older sister, Katherine.

Known at home as Kitty!

arrpee

Once worked with a security guard named Willie Wyper.

He preferred “Bill”.

“Amin Yashed” 😂 pure gold

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I went to school with a Marshall Law. I agree that Amin Yashed is the best so far.

My all time favourite is Robin Mafhood CEO of Food For The Poor. Makes me chuckle every time I think of it.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

My all time favourite is Robin Mafhood

That is exceptional.  I just checked and it’s totally legit.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

It’s great isn’t it Cougar. I’m laughing now, imagining him stockpiling all the food for himself.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Family name – Social

Child’s name – Kuntal

The primary school had to try and explain that secondary school may be tricky and that changing the name might make life easier.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.