• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by core.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Unfashionable 29er frame recommendations
  • garlic
    Free Member

I’m after a 29er frame to replace my heavy but nice handling Surly KM Ops but having a hard time finding candidates. Does anyone have any recommendations? Must take a 120 fork and have a 71-70ish degree head angle and takes 9/135mm rear hub. Don’t really care what material as long as it’s not too heavy. I’d like to keep the price down to under 700 quid. Is this a tall order? Can’t find anything online. Please help.

ton

cube ltd 29

oldnpastit

Singular Swift will take 120mm forks, according to Sam, though it might be a bit floppy.

You could perhaps reduce the travel if worried about it.

I am running 100mm and it’s excellent. Well within your budget.

garlic
    Free Member

Thanks Ton but the Cube isn’t available as a frame, at least not in my size (16″-17″) anyway.

garlic
    Free Member

Yeah the Swift is really nice but I’m not taken with the eccentric BB as I’m not likely to ever run it SS. Only went for the KM when Surly introduced interchangeable dropouts. I bought it for the geometry and fit, not the SS capabilities.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Inbred 29er? About as unfashionable as a 29er can get, not light but not too heavy, happily runs a 120mm fork. Head angle of 71-72 deg. Well under budget

At the other end of spectrum, a Niner Air 9? Just under budget.

ton

garlic…have a look on here. 29 and 27.5 availablr.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/search/l-24/o-relevance/p-3?q=cube%20frames

Shackleton

Swift is a really nice bike. Ebb for 1x or 2x is not an issue in my experience. In the case of my 1×9 setup I can choose my effective day angle and BB height by pivoting the ebb. It has never made a sound or slipped in 6 years of riding.

Failing that a stanton sherpa would be a slightly more trail bike alternative and be more suited to 120mm forks.

70/71 degree sounds rather steep to be using with 120mm forks too unless you mean sagged (so ~68-69 static).

CheesybeanZ
    garlic
    Free Member

@Shacketon- sorry error on my part. Forgot my fork is actually a 100 not a 120. Haven’t ridden it this season- new CX bike is my current toy.

The Surly has a 72 head angle (was sold with a rigid fork so I’d imagine that’s what the head angle measurement is taken with – not sure of the supplied fork’s axle 2 crown length). Reckon it’s around 70.5ish with the 100 travel fork.

pirahna
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris?

core

Those el mar’s heavy?

ratherbeintobago

You can thank me later .

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-el-mariachi-2016-frame-10261-p.asp

Will it take a 120mm fork though?

Those el mar’s heavy?

Dunno. Certainly heavier than the alloy 26er it replaced but it’s a steel 29er so that’s not the biggest shock ever.

Edit: is a Trans Am 29 any lighter than the KM, and will it take a QR back wheel?

ontor
    Free Member

what about a karate monkey – they’re ace 😉

CheesybeanZ

Will it take a 120mm fork though?

Yup run mine with 120mm and no its not heavy , you could bur an angle/slackset in and head angle you want

Northwind

Are you buying new? I have a scandal in the garage looking for a new home…

You can often find cube frames on bikediscount.de. The sizing seems all to cock though so do check first if you go down that route, mate has an XL hardtail of theirs and it really feels like a medium to me.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

on one parkwood? They were knocking them out for £80 a few weeks back

core

I’ve a large v2 Scandal frame I wouldn’t be too sad to part with.

mikehow
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29?

bigjim

Are you buying new? I have a scandal in the garage looking for a new home…

what size? it’s not for me, someone more normal.

Northwind

Conveniently it is normal person sized, medium.

scruff9252

In the traditional recommend what you own approach, I bought a Titus rockstar fs frame @ Christmas time and it’s been superb! I have it set up with 100mm forks, but will take 120 too.

Qr, 135 carbon rear end and alloy front triangle – very happy all day epic rides – done strathpuffer and jenn ride south lakes 100miler on it so far.

roach

core, what colour is the large Scandal frame?

core

Raw

epicyclo

I’d say the Swift too.

You don’t need the EBB for SS purposes, but it also allows you to fine tune your riding position when using gears. Or have it up or down to effectively raise or lower your BB.

Very useful things are EBBs. 🙂

Plus the Swift is a very fine handling bike.

garlic
    Free Member

Yeah I like the swift but it probably weighs around the same as my Surly.

splashdown
    Free Member

2nd hand Scandal?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

garlic – Member
    Yeah I like the swift but it probably weighs around the same as my Surly.

F&F the Swift if about 400g lighter. (just from online specs)

Cheers, Steve

psycorp
    Free Member

@ core

How much are you after for the Scandal?

Email in profile if you’d prefer.

Sorry for the hijack btw.

core

Your email doesn’t work, mine is in my profile, make me an offer……

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Unfashionable 29er frame recommendations’ is closed to new replies.