Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)
  • Unexpected consequences of aging
  • ART

Have been chuckling along to this thread but @funkmasterp – the debobbler – now we are talking. I was looking for exactly this thing the other day & now I know what to get!

funkmasterp

I’m pretty new to debobbling but I can’t see there being a device as epic as the one I’ve got. Could there be a debobblertrackworld out there?

wheelsonfire1

Debobbling dangling bollox?

funkmasterp

Not Googling that!

Cougar

The ‘bobbling’ there is called pilling, so your debobblenator is more correctly a depiller.

I’ve given up on life, haven’t I.

funkmasterp

Welcome to the club Cougar

TiRed

I have debobbled my Birkenstock slippers. What do I win? It’s the blue debobbler. Wasn’t as good or as satisfying as I’d hoped. Thinking of trying the beard trimmer next.

dyna-ti

STW shop has a hat for sale with a giant bobble on it.

That would keep you going for hours, possibly days.

maccruiskeen

So in the next few months my scrotum is going to head to my knees?

And change colour in the process. Apparently.

Thats why they call it your autumn years maybe? All goes brown and your nuts drop?

MoreCashThanDash

Can I just add that some these issues we are suffering might be worth mentioning to a GP.

Depilling your saggy scrotum possibly not….

mert
    Free Member

@binners

I bloody love spicy food but it now involves waking at 3am (probably for my third wee of the night) feeling like I’ve been gargling battery acid.

That was the first and most obvious sign of my apnea. Maybe get it looked at sooner rather than later.

(I thought it was “ordinary” reflux cos i was getting old, so did the old self medication thing.)

thols2

You find that your favourite clothes have gone out of fashion.

mert
    Free Member

Fun read.
    I’m nearly 50 and other than the recent diagnosis of sleep apnea, which i’ve probably had well over 20 years, and all it’s related issues, none of these ring a bell as regards getting old.

Have had the long shoe horn for 20 years, well, two long shoe horns, the ex took the original when she left. So i got another, the kids (both under 10) use it as well, it’s the best way to get winter/hiking boots on.

Still have a full head of hair, and no thinning or discolouration elsewhere. My hairdresser hates me, he’s my age (within a week) and almost completely bald, and what’s left is definitely showing his age.
    Joint damage and grunting when i get out of bed is all ~20 years old from earlier accidents (and are starting to get better and less painful now i’m actually sleeping!)

Glasses, been wearing them 45 years, so nothing new there.

Memory is still good, libido still functions well, terrible hangovers have been a thing for 20+ years, so that’s nowt new. i just don’t drink much instead, much more sensible.

I’ve *never* been in the remotest bit fashionable, so that ^^^ doesn’t scare me, sandals and socks since my 20’s, no problems, currently rocking the cheapest birkies i could find (terrible colour) and some cheese themed socks…

The only properly unexpected consequence is that i still seem to be attractive to the same sort of women i was before i was married. i.e. those who are in their early to mid 30’s, so i count that as a win.

Harry_the_Spider

How is that de-bobbler bigger than it’s box?

Thought of another aging thing this morning…

First trip down the stairs of the day is usually sideways whilst holding the bannister because my knees and ankles haven’t woken up.

singletrackmind

Needing less sleep at night seems to be thing
    Being totaly decrepit by the end of day, the needing of less sleep cannot be capitalised upon.

funkmasterp

How is that de-bobbler bigger than it’s box?

through the magic of debobbling!

charliedontsurf

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Myself and Singletrack Mark went for a skate at an indoor skatepark this week. I struggled to reach up to a shelf two days later.   No injuries. I just seem to need to recover from most things<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> now. </span>

dudeofdoom

That Eldridge de Paris is well bonkers, I thought it was a wind up but it was a thing and the black panthers element wowsers.

CountZero

Thats why they call it your autumn years maybe? All goes brown and your nuts drop?

Badum, tish! 👏🏻🎩🤣

CountZero

My own personal experience is developing cataracts. They came on really quite quickly, picked up during a regular eye check two years ago, and by the winter I was having trouble driving in the dark because of flare caused by oncoming headlights. I had another check last June, which showed significant deterioration, a previous check at Bath RUH concluded they weren’t bad enough, but this eye check got me onto the waiting list.
    I was given a phone appointment with a nurse on Wednesday October 21 last year, which was just formality, checking a bunch of health things. Friday 23 I get a phone call at work, from a chap in RUH admissions, saying they’d had a cancellation, and was I interested? Of course I was, when was it? 27th, the following Tuesday! What a difference! Once it had healed properly, my eyesight in my right eye was now better than it had been for many years.
    Today I had my other eye done; my left was always my strongest eye, but having the right done had shown how bad my left had got, and getting worse. I wore a contact lens to help, but getting onto the list again was a help, and my appointment was confirmed at the beginning of the month.

Three hours on, and the difference is already all I could wish for, and now I can finally stop fannying around trying to put contact lenses in at stupid o’clock in the morning, and only needing reading glasses for close-up work.
    Huge relief, and big thanks to all the staff at Bath RUH, who are all really lovely people, and very professional.

dyna-ti

What a horrible thread.

wheelsonfire1

Ah, grumpiness, I think that’s an expected consequence of aging!

LAT

grey pubes. i never gave it a thought even after i plucked a grey hair from my ear when in my 30’s. seems obvious in hindsight.

reeksy

I actually had a battery powered debobbler in my 20s … but I don’t think i’ve used it since. However, that mains powered thing looks like a weapon.

Question is, at what point does a debobbler become sheep shears? I think an experiment is required.

funkmasterp

I could try trimming my beard with it? Just scared of the fact the wait in A&E afterwards could be a long one.

reeksy

If by beard you mean … well it would at least give the hardworking NHS staff some light amusement.

mert
    Free Member

@reeksy

I actually had a battery powered debobbler in my 20s … but I don’t think i’ve used it since.

“The Remington Fuzzaway, I liked it so much, I bought the company.”

Edit:- turns out it was the shaver he really liked, which may help a few of the other posters on this thread.

mmannerr

Getting close to half century here too, couple of years still left. I wouldn’t mind the obvious getting slow fat baldy but why the hell everything has to to hurt so much these days? My knees, ankles back and just about every joint has issues occasionally but not consistently.

Also I’m curious what cruel twist of evolution causes excessive hair growth is nose and ears? In addition to eyesight getting poorer with age? Has it developed so that old people would not see, smell or hear predators and would be then removed from being burden to the the tribe? They keep brain warmer?

dudeofdoom

TBH I do think the wizzing in the night is a thing that you expect with age and go with the flow with.

I did notice that once I deliberately held back from the nocturnal jaunts I really don’t need a 3 am wizz all the time so I do wonder if there’s a certain amount of habit to it rather than necessity.

dudeofdoom

grey pubes. i never gave it a thought even after i plucked a grey hair from my ear when in my 30’s. seems obvious in hindsight.

You need a fuzz away, apparently all the rage in the older generation.

matt_outandabout

I got a haircut yesterday.
    That’s the third time the barber has suggested a different, closer cut due to a ‘changing hairline, sir’.

👴

longdog
    Free Member

Not sure the last.time I went for a hair cut! I’ve been using the dog clippers for atleast 15 years now, that includes trimming the odd wayward eyebrow at my wife’s suggestion 🤣

matt_outandabout

has anyone mentioned having to work out the difference between birth year and current year as they can’t remember how old they are?

✋ Yep

blokeuptheroad

TBH I do think the wizzing in the night is a thing that you expect with age and go with the flow with.

I did notice that once I deliberately held back from the nocturnal jaunts I really don’t need a 3 am wizz all the time so I do wonder if there’s a certain amount of habit to it rather than necessity.

A slight change in habits cured it for me (58 with prostate issues). I used to get up once or twice a night. I stopped drinking tea or coffee after 3pm and don’t drink anything at all after a glass of water about 6pm. I now go right through the night without having to get up. The knock on is better sleep and so feeling better all round.

funkmasterp

Am I the only one who likes grey hairs? Getting a couple of grey and white ones in my beard. Feels like I’m slowly turning in to a wizard.

kennyp
    Free Member

The thread is about “unexpected” consequences of ageing. Well here are two of mine I’d never have guessed forty years ago:-

1. I’m still riding bikes at the age of nearly sixty.

2. I’m happier and more content now than at any point in my life.

So not too bad an outcome really.

BillMC

I’m sure many of these gripes and groans could be sorted out with lots of fruit, vitamin C, cod liver oil, calcium and magnesium will give paramount penis tone.

iainc

slipped and fell on a bit of icy path last night walking the dog – he saw a fox and went nuts, on lead… A not that hard landing really, though on tarmac, but onto my already a bit achy right hip – can now hardly walk up the stairs 🙁

wheelsonfire1

^^^
    Slip, fall, trip or tumble? Did you curse or whimper?

wheelsonfire1

I’ve noticed a couple more consequences recently – they may be from aging but may just be my stupidity..
    I’ve got in the shower and the bath with my glasses on a few times recently, I don’t strictly speaking need to wear glasses all the time but if I do I know where they are, the unfortunate consequence is though that I momentarily have a panic attack as they steam up and I lose my vision.
    I have also stopped listening to songs properly and just treat them as “background noise” whilst doing something else. Yesterday I listened to a whole country music song extolling the virtues of “The Tennessee Spud”, this praised it for carrying the singer over marsh, plains and mountains. I justified this in my mind by explaining to myself that it was one of those corny American advertising songs and that Tennessee must be a potato growing area. It was only right at the end where it announced the spud meeting a cowgirl that I realised that it was “Tennessee stud”! It brightened my day anyway..

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.