Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Unexpected bonuses – twins
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m now staring into the abyss of people carriers, caravan holidays and financial ruin.

Has anyone else on here been doubly blessed and survived?

akira

Survived so far, good/bad later as they can play/fight with each other.

scotroutes

The bonus surely is that you can sell (the ugly) one to set the other one up for life.

iainc

Congratulations Tom 😀 You’ll be needing a minibus at this rate though !

maccruiskeen

good/bad later

You mean you haven’t worked out which one is evil yet?

akira

@scotroutes, you get more for the set.

tomd
    Free Member

Akira – it’d be important to know if you’ve survived 10weeks or 10 years?

matt_outandabout

One of each style or matching pair?

Congrats.

akira

8 years of survival, plus an extra addition three years ago.

kentishman
    Free Member

Survived for 15 years with set 1 and 13 years with set 2. Good luck and hold on its an interesting ride.
    Oh and batch make the bottled milk by weight in a jug.

tomd
    Free Member

Don’t know if they’re one of each or whatever. Very unlikely to be identical though.

matt_outandabout

Survived for 15 years with set 1 and 13 years with set 2.

I’m feeling the need for some captain flasheart…

*BOSH* and she was pregnant, *BOSH* and it’s twins…

ninkynonk
    Free Member

Mine have just turned 9, can’t believe how great having twins is!

Join Tamba (Twins and Multiple Birth Association) they give you lots of help.

What car do you drive, will it fit a double buggy in the boot plus a weekly shop?

Always ask for discount, you’d be amazed how often you get 10% or 20%.

Make sure you go to multiple birth antenatal classes (otherwise your wife will only get help with lessons on breastfeeding single children). That sounds daft but it is a genuine issue

Feel free to drop me a pm for any other pearls of wisdom

bigyim
    Free Member

Congratulations tomd

tomd
    Free Member

Tamba looks a good shout, cheers.

The van will not accommodate twins, baby junk and existing child. I’ll resist a stealth add 😆

I had a quick look at antenatal classes for twins but we’re in the most provincial of provinces so might be a struggle.

Cougar

Grats.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

When they grow up they don’t seek anyone else’s approval but each others’. Watch as thy ceaselessly one up each other and compete to see who can wind you up more! So as a parent you’re ****.

Just kidding, good luck!

seadog101

Bravo you will survive, somehow…
    A friend, and his wife obviously, tried for a third child, then the one came out as three of the blighters! They are managing alright it would seem.

thegreatape
    Free Member

First job is to find out who the other fella is.

Scapegoat

Yep, one of each here. Both seriously competitive and despite being at each others’ throats at times, the bond they share is amazing to watch. It can be hard work at times early on, and you need to learn a bit of organisational logistics to get through the day ( I worked shifts so I had the privilege of more than my fair share of parenting and loved it.)

One of my colleagues also had boy girl twins, born either side of midnight, so they have different birthdays. How cool is that!

Drac

Congratulations!

I think Jondoh has twins but he never mentions them.

martinhutch

I also have twins but I never mention them. They are 14 now.

Still waiting for the easy stage. On reflection it was probably a two-week period when they were four. 🙂

They will mainly sleep for the first couple of weeks. Then all hell will break loose.

johndoh
    Free Member

8 yr old twins here – it is what it is and when they were young we were continually asked how on earth we managed but you just do.

One tip – keep a feed & change diary because in the first few months you will struggle to remember who was fed/changed last and when they need checking again. It is also great to have it to look back on when you come out of the other side… 10pm – feed, 11pm – change, 11.45pm, change, 1am, feed, 2.15am, feed….

Good luck – it isn’t going to be the hell parents of singletons will tell you it will be.

I think Jondoh has twins but he never mentions them.

8)
    Can’t help being proud of my two little treasures. Twin 2 came 3rd in the inter-school cross country competition on Saturday and I nearly burst with pride. 😀

big_scot_nanny

I was on a call a year or so ago with a colleague in Milan who let us know that she was pregnant again, however already having 2 kids of 3 and 1.5 yrs old, she was somewhat upset to be having triplets 😯

I have not spoken to her since she went on mat leave, must follow up to learn of the fun!

congrats tomd, as a dad of three kids (but no multiples), its all good fun (as you know).

But, yes, the thought of bedtime with 2 babies at the same age at the same time does somewhat give me the heebie jeebies 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Mine twin girls are just coming up to 9. I wont kid you the early years are tough. However there are major benefits and efficiencies of having same sex twins and no other kids. How does this manifest itself, well they generally do the same activities at the weekend and after school so, for example they both go to art club Saturday at 10:00am, my wife takes them, so I get to ride bikes and drink coffee with the lads every single Saturday. Others I know spend their weekends in an endless cycle of taxi driving!

We didnt join Tamba, or go to multiple birth antenatal classes, the former felt a bit like a twins cult. We just read a few books and cracked on, its not actually that difficult to feed and change 2 babies, its just tiring and relentless! It is useful to have some sort of family support close by though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m now staring into the abyss of people carriers, caravan holidays and financial ruin.

Has anyone else on here been doubly blessed and survived?

Bravo, congratulations Tom (I think!)

johndoh
    Free Member

We didnt join Tamba,

It is worth it if only for the discounts having a TAMBA card give you (Mothercare, Clarks, Jojo etc). We are still members (mainly to support the charity now as we don’t need the card often) – it’s only £33.60 a year. You could save way more than that with a few shops at Mothercare….

philjunior
    Free Member

Good luck.

The alternative to a people carrier is of course one normal car and one 2 seater, as long as you both drive. HTH.

tomd
    Free Member

Bravo, congratulations Tom (I think!)

Mostly we’re happy, Mrs Tom seems pretty chilled about it. Child #1 knows something is happening but has no idea what’s coming her way! She’s in for a shock.

stumpy01

Many congratulations!

We were looking at the impending pandemonium of twins, but one stopped developing at some point – can’t remember the exact time frame of events.
    It was disappointing, but we were happy that there was still one on the way!!
    She’s gonna be 2 in just over a fortnight!

Looking back at the last two years, I wonder how we would have coped with 2 littlun’s as one seems hard enough! It would have been great for her to have had a little bro/sis to grow up with, but sadly was not meant to be.

I am a twin myself & my parents coped OK with me & my sister!

Dickyboy

At one point in our lives 3 of our kids each had other halves who were one half of twins – the potential for multiple grandchildren has since diminished….

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Unexpected bonuses – twins’ is closed to new replies.