Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Underrated / unknown originals
  • nbt

As a corollorary to OHN’s thread about underrated cover versions, which original tracks can you recommend and being superior to a more well-known cover version

As an introduction, most people know Madness version but don’t realise that “It Must Be Love” is a Labi Siffre song

and while few people know Anthrax’s Got The Time, most are still amazed to find it’s a Joe Jackson song

edlong
    Free Member

I already posted the Gloria Jones original of Tainted Love in t’other thread, but it’s a belter so here it is again.

The Specials version is good, but so I think this might be even betterer:

Hard to fault Aretha’s better known version, but Otis Redding’s original isn’t exactly rubbish

Garry_Lager

You’re twistin my melon man

Heartbeats by The Knife is prob better known from the Jose Gonzales cover that was used in a camera ad.

DezB
    Free Member

Is this where I post every original of the songs R*** W***** shat all over on his swing covers album?

maccruiskeen

peekay

This Spotify playlist has 30 hours of original versions and is imaginatively titled “Originals that are a less famous than the cover versions”

dannyh
    Free Member

Red red wine – Ken Boothe.

Most people know that the Clash covered ‘I fought the law’, but the original by Bobby Fuller Four is a good’un.

funkmasterp

Dolly Parton’s I Will Always Love You pissed all over Whitney ‘look how many notes I can hold and hit’ Houston’s version.

Louie Louie by Richard Berry.

copa
    Free Member

Sorry Elvis but I prefer the original of American Trilogy by Mickey Newbury.
    Simpler and less bombastic.

anagallis_arvensis

LA Freeway made famous by Jerry Jeff Walker amongst others.

Or Desparados waiting for a train which Th Highwaymen did

theotherjonv

was going to say Tainted Love by Gloria Jones but beaten to it.

(Do people know she was driving the mini that Marc Bolan died in btw)

There are loads of great ska / rocksteady originals (if you like ska / rocksteady) that went on to be classics

eg:

hols2
    Free Member

JoeG
    Free Member

davy-g
    Free Member

Robert Hazard- girls just wanna have fun

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Underrated / unknown originals’ is closed to new replies.