Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 181 total)
  • underrated computer games.
  • AlexSimon

finbar – it was surprisingly satisfying wasn’t it – loads of air time, lots of swoops, tricks to learn and then great sound effects to reward you. Do you know if it’s on any of the wii/ds virtual consoles?

Peyote
    Free Member

Not sure if they were under-rated or not, but great games from back in the day:

Rick Dangerous (1 and 2) – Atari ST
    Turrican (C64 version)
    Horace and the spiders – ZX Spectrum
    Horace goes skiing – ZX Spectrum
    Myth – I think that was on the C64
    Prince of Persia, the first one possibly on the Atari ST

Mario Kart, Goldeneye etc… are all obviously classics, so not under-rated at all. Going to dig out the SNES and N64 this evening! May even see if my Gameboy original still works and have a blast on SupermarioBros.

Gachet
    Free Member

The tv series was one of my favourites when I was young and rememember the game being quite fun and addictive.

Gachet
    Free Member

Most of my favourite underated games are Jap or US imports from the 90s

Good 3d adventure game

Great platform game

Another great platform game – Chan and Chan – PC Engine:

Really good shoot em up based on an anime film – Steel Empire Megadrive:

callous
    Free Member

Starcraft on the PC will always hold a special place in my heart. Especially the cinematic ending.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I used to really like this:

trail_rat
    Free Member

vigilante 8 was a great game – as was that run the gauntlet

what about …

both on the spectrum

on the amiga 1200 for me though not the c64

MRanger156
    Free Member

AlexSimon

Blast Corps
    Those early days of N64 ownership were lean, but the few that did appear were really good.

Cougar

Wheelie gets my vote

Written in BASIC, that. You could BREAK into it and read the code.

sc-xc

Fight the Green Yamo

Kill him, my robots

grantus
    Free Member

Was addicted to Centipede on the Atari Games Console in 1984/85 🙂

Also, Keystone Cops and Pitfall.

Got an Atari ST in 1988. Too many favourites to mention but Buggy Boy, Double Dragon and Lombard RAC Rally got played to distraction as well as F-14 interceptor at the time of the first Gulf War 8)

toys19
    Free Member

Battalion Wars
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzju2_dO9Fk&feature=related[/video]

grantus
    Free Member

There was also a Karate game for Atari ST where your character changed colour of belt as the game progressed – used to kick timebombs away – can anyone remember what it was called?

You could also press the space bar and your opponents trousers would fall down

Cougar

That was IK+.

(And it was ‘T’ rather than Space)

sc-xc

^ sounds like International Karate + to me….

seosamh77
    Free Member

IK+ was great, brings to mind another classic, panza kickboxing. 🙂

sc-xc

I always thought IK+ was a poor man’s WOTEF.

Anyone remember Karateka? Like WOTEF/IK+ but with a bit of a story. These games take me back to the good old days, being at school and getting videos out called things like ‘American BMX Ninja’

grantus
    Free Member

IK+ – what a game – pyoor yaaaassss!!

grantus
    Free Member

Happy Days indeed!

What was WOTEF?

sc-xc

What was WOTEF?

It was the mighty…

grantus
    Free Member

funny, I never heard of that one.

Any Weegies on here? In the early 90s I used to go to the Barras nearly ever Saturday morning – there was a team of shady lads who had loads of Atari and Amiga games copied in dodgy briefcases and a list of all the games typed up.

My Mum and Dad quite possibly have all these games in the loft 🙂

I also liked Kick Off – harder than sensible soccer but addictive nonetheless.

Never got that into Lemmings.

Trying to remember others from that time – mind is going blank though!

Jack Nicklaus golf was good – had a primitive course designer as well so you could make your own courses

grantus
    Free Member

Moving on, I got hooked on Oddworld for the original Playstation and Medal of Honour as well – very atmospheric

Jamie
    Free Member

&

&

sc-xc

From that era I also liked Kick Start (again with a course designer) and Spy Hunter. From slightly earlier, Attack of the Mutant Camels & Hunchback kept me busy on the C64, while on my mates Spectrum we played Gauntlet and Jetpak

grantus
    Free Member

Loved Paperboy on my mate’s commodore! That was state of the art!!

What was the game for the Atari where you were in a submarine? It was made by Psychosis but I can’t remember the name of it?

Edit – blood money – class!

Klunk
    Free Member

that “way of the exploding fist” graphic is terrible 😆 the bit on the right looks a bit plain, I know stick some grass in there

Peyote
    Free Member

Completely forgot about Speedball and Xenon II megablast (Xenon was a bit rubbish) as well!

Also, anyone remember Blue Max? I can’t remember what format it was on, but it was a top down shoot ’em up with the player flying a blue biplane. Loved that game…

grantus
    Free Member

yes! speedball was great!

talking of top down games – there was one for Atari where your character was like a little Rambo type guy and you took on all comers in a jungle setting. You could get into tanks and that sort of thing.

May have been Akari Warriors?

grantus
    Free Member

Xybots – friday nostalgia is great 🙂

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Spent a LOT of time playing this on my beloved Amiga 500 back in the mid 90s

meeeee
    Free Member

i used to love Spy vs Spy on the C64, spent hours playing that with my brother trying to blow each other up!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu2e866bEcM[/video]

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Did we have River Raid on the Atari 2600

Exhumed on the PS1

Manic Miner on the Spectrum

IA

None of the other aliens/avp games on other formats were anywhere near as good (or at all the same game!).

spacemonkey

i used to love Spy vs Spy on the C64, spent hours playing that with my brother trying to blow each other up!

Probably the funniest 2 player game ever. The jungle one was best IIR. Loved it big time.

meeeee
    Free Member

Probably the funniest 2 player game ever. The jungle one was best IIR. Loved it big time.

i was thinking after i posted that clip it doesnt really look like that much of a game, but i think its one of those that you have to play to realise how great it was!

Might see if i can find an online version of it now 🙂

spacemonkey

@meeeee Plenty of downloads available but can’t find anything online. That would be proper cool though.

racefaceec90

i could find a few spy vs spy online games,but none with c64 graphics. here is a link to the first one that google came up with http://www.playr.org/play/spy_vs._spy/1532 i haven’t played it though (or any of the spy vs spy games to be honest/didn’t have anyone to play against 🙁

spacemonkey

Nice try raceface but that’s a different game 🙁

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Wheelie gets my vote
    Written in BASIC, that. You could BREAK into it and read the code.

I remember doing that on football manager on the spectrum, running out of money, just break and get the code and change one line, then RUN.

good call on way of the exploding fist, ik+ and river raid.

Also TLL – tornado low level

[img]http://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/article/viewFile/34/73/1913[/img]

and deatchase, the first 3d game 🙂

[img]http://s.uvlist.net/l/y2006/8/10159.jpg[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘underrated computer games.’ is closed to new replies.