Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Underground bridleway clearing group
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Have been clearing small areas with shears, but am going to go an buy a petrol brush cutter later to clear longer paths. Was thinking about starting a volunteer army of fellow ‘bramble busters’

I was rather bored and knocked up a logo. Was thinking it would be great to clear a trail and then stick a sticker/logo onto a nearby post. Logo is below.

mattsccm
    Free Member

A good idea although I suspect that the LA may moan about liability with machines etc.
    Please avoid the stickers though, there is enough rubbish about as it is.

DanW
    Free Member

A nice enough idea but I’d be very nervous about taking a petrol cutter out onto someone else’s land. The maybe public rights of way but it isn’t usually public land. Certainly wouldn’t advertise my presence with the noise and stickers.

johni
    Free Member

I mow the sides of the footpath crossing my land to make it safer for mountain bikers. It means the ramblers can easily get out of the way of passing bikers. ;o)

jam-bo

I mow the sides of the footpath crossing my land to make it safer for mountain bikers. It means the ramblers can easily get out of the way of passing bikers. ;o)

if it’s your land, can you not make it permissive cycle route just to annoy the walkers?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Needs to be vigilante BW repair/clearance groups setup.

Theres a BW near me. In that really bad summer we had 3/4 years back, a stream which runs through the field adjacent to the BW broke its banks and since then, has run down the last 50m or so of a brilliant trail.
    I’ve been in touch with the council and they’re ‘in talks’ with the landowner but have been for nearly 2 years now. I’m planning on going up under the cover of dark with a spade and re-routing the stream back onto its natural course = brilliant descent resurrected.

project
    Free Member

As a volunteer for Sustrans we are not allowed power tools, eg fuel powered, due to liability to us and others, say youre using a strimer/brush cutter and it sends a partial cut branch or twig at a walkerist, huge claim may be lodged against you for liability thanks to no win no fee solicitors.

Then there is the conservation lot, the landowner,and many more people who may want to have their say after youve choped down some bushes that may be protected or a SSI site.

ninfan
    Free Member

Why do they need to be vigilante/underground?

Ramblers do loads of this stuff, organised, insured and with permission – speak to them or your local PROW team

flanagaj
    Free Member

A quick update. Have spoken with the local ROW officer and have a meeting tomorrow. He has told me he is happy to train me up using their equipment and I can then take the kit out and get clearing 🙂

flanagaj
    Free Member

Silent killer?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KNAPSACK-BACKPACK-GARDEN-SPRAYER-WEEDKILLER/dp/B0046Z5RNADodgy! I reckon you could easily get the hose confused with the one from your camelbak.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Underground bridleway clearing group’ is closed to new replies.