• This topic has 41 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by core.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Under saddle nduro style storage solutions
  • shredder
    Free Member

What exists these days other than Topeak style bag for storing a few bits under the saddle.
    Looking to ditch the pack in summer so looking for neat storage solutions.
    Thanks

scotroutes

The problem with many saddle bags is that they have to strap onto the stanchion of your dropper post. If you can get something small that only fits saddle rails it might work, though again might be hit by the rear wheel at max travel. What sir requires is a bum bag.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

This is what you need:
    http://www.weecog.co.uk/collections/slider
    Holds a tube, a tool, a tyre lever and a couple of CO2 cartridges. Doesn’t rattle or fall off and allows the dropper to work without any problems. Seems well made too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tonyplym
    Free Member

Not cheap, but perhaps one of these from Alpkit might be worth considering ?

bails

I’ve got one of these https://www.alpkit.com/products/airlok-1l fixed with a velcro strap to the saddle rails of my road bike. It’s enough for a tube, tyre levers and patches. You’d get a multitool in there tool if you needed it.

monkeyboyjc

Rather than go under the saddle with a dropper post I went with a Syncros Bidon bag – uses your bottle cage bolts….

Holds a tube and tools etc. I can also (just) squeeze a fat bike tube in there…
    Alternatively, if your already running a bottle cage you can stuff it in there too.

ThePinkster

Like the look of that Syncros bag, so I’ve just ordered myself one.

rossburton
    Free Member

I picked up a WeeCog bag in their sale, it’s pretty good. My hybrid now has a tube, CrankBrother multitool, patch set and three Park tyre levers under the saddle. As said above, they do dropped-compatible ones too.

zero-cool
    Free Member

A few people make something that’s just a strap to hold tube and small bits. I’ve always just taped them inside the front triangle as I thought just strapping something under the saddle exposed it yo lots of crap.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s a tool roll not a “dropper saddle bag” or whatever their marketing genius is calling them. Loads of people sell them and have done for donkeys years. They’re okay but I never found them secure enough but that could just be me not really paying attention.

thepodge
    Free Member

That slider pack still looks like it’ll grind dirt and water into the dropper post.

I knocked up a little bracket to attach to the rails which keeps a normal saddle pack clear of the post. It works in a fashion but its not brilliant.

I’ve also looked at mounting something between the downtube seat tube under the bottle cages but it all went a bit retro 90s looking

perchypanther
    Free Member

If only someone mad French sports retailer types would invent a durable, waterproof wipe clean container which holds a decent volume and fits neatly in a bottle cage.

It would be ideal if it only cost 2 quid as well.

Pity such a thing doesn’t exist.

scotroutes

^^ really needs to be in flouro green

Simon

No good if your enduro bike only has one set of bottle cage mounts.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i got 5 velcro straps off ebay for a quid delivered.

easily holds a tube to my saddle rails, also used them to stash other bits and bobs to my frame too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331589953976?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thepodge
    Free Member

If you don’t want to carry a pack in summer then where are you going to carry your water having filled the water bottle points with tools?

perchypanther
    Free Member

If you don’t want to carry a pack in summer then where are you going to carry your water having filled the water bottle points with tools?

ichabod
    Free Member

Still reckon carrying stuff on your person is better.. (leg) sprung weight.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

It’s a tool roll not a “dropper saddle bag”

How does one distinguish between the two? It IS a bag with a flap closure not just a roll but perhaps you mean that the single velcro strap makes it a roll rather than a bag. Either way I didn’t by any means find loads of people that do them.

That slider pack still looks like it’ll grind dirt and water into the dropper post.

I haven’t found that so far. It doesn’t rest against the post on mine anyway.

BillOddie

Seat Bag

I have one of the above on my grrrrrrravel bike. Might try it on the MTB…

thepodge
    Free Member

robinlaidlaw – I haven’t found that so far. It doesn’t rest against the post on mine anyway.

I’ll have to take your word for it but in their own pic it does

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I’ll have to take your word for it but in their own pic it does

Fair enough. Having looked at mine, I’ll qualify my statement a little, I have a reverb and it does touch, but not the slider of the post, it only touches the cylindrical part of the post head, so not a part that passes through the seals.

Very much this. It’s hard enough to find a 140 – 160mm bike with one bottle mount never mind two.

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks all and as above only one cage on new bike and thats for the bottle.

Stu661
    Free Member

Have a look here http://backcountryresearch.com/race-strap-mtb-saddle-mount.html.

All you need to hold a tube, tyre lever and co2. Works with dropper posts and never moves.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I did the whole taping stuff to your frame thing but ended up just buying a smaller pack

james
    Free Member

My brother has a tube taped under the saddle, one bottle cage/bottle and the little else he carries on shorter rides (including another bottle and CO2 inflator) goes in his specialized bib shorts, the ones with pockets in the back of them. I forget what they’re called

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I run one of these on my Mega fitted with a Reverb
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-micro-saddle-bag/

And one of these on my Genesis.
    https://www.alpkit.com/products/fuel-pod-small-clearance

Both fit everything you need for a couple of hours riding, are waterproof and don’t foul up the dropper. Actually the Alpkit one might not be waterproof but the Ortlieb one definitely is.

nickdavies

Don’t bother with a pack. Just wrap co2 and tyre levers inside a tube and use a decent industrial elastic bad to secure the tube and a toe strap to attach it to the saddle rails. nowhere near the dropper that way and works perfectly. Had that on the HT for a couple of years, i did once attach it badly after using the levers and then it fell off on the trail, not ideal, so make sure it’s well on.

Obviously you need the right tools to make it work – i find pedros tyre levers and a truflo co2 works as with the truflo you carry the head and canister as one piece.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

The Pinkster:

Where did you order your syncros bag from?

Cheers,

A

monkeyboyjc

@ andysmiff1 I think I got mine from Tweeks link

jmatlock
    Free Member

I just went to order a back country strap. $13 but the order had $14 shipping!

Phil_H

Backcountry stuff avaliable from UK here

Northwind

Mine is a cheap no-name but Lezyne and probably others do something similiar… it has a little quick release clip that attaches to the saddle, and the whole bag clips to that- no contact with the tube. I use it exactly once a year, for the glentress seven and it’s pretty ideal- holes a tube (or two if they’re small), a co2 inflator, multitool, some links, and even some emergency haribo. I think I managed to squeeze in my tiny packable gilet too.

(or for a stress test, this year it carried a fatbike tube, a multitool, links, and still space for some tangfastics)

oink1
    Free Member

Sorry to barge in,looking for a reasonably priced front triangle frame bag for my fatty. Any ideas??

kimbers

Some Sdg saddles have a mounting bracket that fits to peak saddle bags

Velcro is fine until it get really muddy,myate had to zip tie is on at king and queen last weekend

BigDummy
    Free Member

Is anyone using Topeak Ninja bits?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection.

Still, in answer to the question, this stuff from Backcountry Research looks like it was made just to answer the OPs question.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tell you what, while you’re on that site, grab a Timber! bell as well. Positive comments from walkers on every ride it’s been used on. Full on nuclear disarmament for any potential trail conflicts.

BoardinBob

Hmm. Innertube looks secure enough but unless I’m missing something, the tyre levers and CO2 canister are coming loose at the first pebble you hit

craig24
    Free Member

Is anyone using Topeak Ninja bits?

That looks nice, can you get it without the tool though? And use your own multi tool.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Under saddle nduro style storage solutions’ is closed to new replies.