Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • un bike-fit
  • highclimber
    Free Member

First time on my bike today in like 6 months. those hills were a real battle, which is strange as I’ve been doing a lot of running (hence the lay off). anyone else find transistioning back to the bike a battle?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’m guessing the muscle groups which work to push your pedals round aren’t bike fit.
    Running surely uses a different combination of muscles, but it’s not like you ve been sat on the sofa in your pants watching jeremy Kyle all day whilst eating Doritos for the last 6 months. Put some more time in on your bike and your fitness will come back very quickly I’m sure.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I would class myself as very bike fit 😆

I definitely owe it to being lucky enough to cycle to work (only 6 miles a day)

But, it helps me keep on top of the fitness & kick ass at the weekend on both road bike & mtb.

Nothing like blowing yer own horn! 🙂

P.S. Cannot run worth a fu** btw.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

i can ride 100 miles without too much effort but struggle to run 3 miles, its all about different muscle groups, a few rides should see great improvement afterall you’ll be aerobically fit. keep at it

wombat

Nothing like blowing yer own horn!

I can’t quite manage that, I think my neck’s too short….. 😈

number18
    Free Member

I run 5k twice a week before work, play 5aside once a week and 11aside once a week. I currently ride my bike once every couple of weeks.

None of these three disciplines really translate to one another for me, but simply maintain a decent level of aerobic fitness. The only way I find to really improve my bike fitness is to ride my bike. I’m looking forward to feeling the benefit of commuting by bike 2 days a week from next week, although I’ll be on my old boneshaker to start with ’til the proper bike is fixed!

seavers
    Free Member

I have done zero exercise in the last month due to working away and decorating on the weekends I have been back.

Went for a ride today and wow….it was a wake up call. Out of 20 miles the first 5-7 were a struggle but the rest were fine. The hills were the hard part. I reckon 5-6 rides and it will feel better. Also just joined a gym for an easy mid week work out. Getting fit is a battle but well worth it.

As you have been running I would think the cardio aspect is spot on just the bike legs need work. When I was going to the gym regularly I found the weight training helped too, it was easier to chuck my bike around.

wrecker
    Free Member

All of the time ive been putting in at the gym has helped my bike fitness loads. Loads of HIIT and lunges/squats, haven’t ridden in weeks and had power to burn today! (well compared to usual).

sbd16v
    Free Member

due to my job I spend long periods doing no fitness at all, infact I walk about 50 meters a day for a few months some times, then spend all the time im awake sat down and the rest of the time sleeping lol.

yes it is hard but it never takes more than a few weeks to get your legs back into cycling and then a few months and im back to my (not to fit) bike fitness

OCB
    Free Member

I’m running way more than I’m riding these days, mostly off road, often hilly and messy terrain, and I’ve now got rubbish bike ‘fitness’ overall.

Actually, aerobically it’s ok, and I’ve got the lungs / legs for it, but just being on a bike feels much more tiring than running, and it hurts to sit for very long – I think I’ve quite literally run my arse off this summer …

highclimber
    Free Member

I’m running way more than I’m riding these days, mostly off road, often hilly and messy terrain, and I’ve now got rubbish bike ‘fitness’ overall.

Yeah, I’ve been doing only fell running. can keep up a decent pace running but keeping pace on my bike I found hard. (my bike is quite heavy too though!)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

sbd16v – Member
    due to my job I spend long periods doing no fitness at all, infact I walk about 50 meters a day for a few months some times, then spend all the time im awake sat down and the rest of the time sleeping lol

Submariner?

maxtorque

At the start of this year i was super fit, having trained hard throughout the early winter months (in friking terrible weather!). Then i broke my wrist and was off the bike for 8weeks. I did some “panic training” for 3 weeks prior to my alps trip this summer which just about got me along alright (luckily lots of uplift assistance!) But since then (july), i’ve not really even been on the bike, and eurgh, i’m toast after only 20miles off road now. I need to get remotivated and back on the bike 3 or 4 times a week, but so far that just hasn’t happened ;-(

schmiken

Or oil rig worker?

highclimber
    Free Member

Day 2 – Penmachno – slightly easier than yesterday though my sit bones would probably disagree. couldn’t sit and spin for a while. Hoping to get out again in the week to see how I cope. I really need to get some miliage in (up and down hill).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘un bike-fit’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts