Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Un-biased TV news reporting ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Where do people go for their un-biased TV news reporting these days ? Is there any one channel that’s better than the others ?

lunge

Shoot me down but I still think the BBC is as good as it gets, mainly as both the right and the left think it’s biased against them. I do however think some of the quality of journalism and their guest selection can be questioned. Channel 4 is pretty close too.

136stu
    Free Member

On the subject of quality journalism, when did reading out tweets become news?

deadkenny
    Free Member

There is no such thing as unbiased TV news reporting.

BBC definitely has biases though it’s also up it’s own arse with political correctness and the necessity to provide an equal voice so much that it gives far too much air time to fringe crack pots just to say they’re being balanced. Wastes too much time on debate and discussion too rather than just reporting news events. Same with Sky.

I find it difficult to get actual news about what is going on with TV news channels. So much buried away, deeming atrocities across the world or even at home as of less importance than crap about Brexit or the royal family.

Twitter has a lot of bollocks on it, but for live events it’s more accurate and up to date with breaking events way before BBC or Sky will get onto them. Just ignore anything that is an opinion. And yeah, the news channels take twitter as their news feed but they don’t pick up the news bits, they pick up the opinions as if they’ve invited an “expert” to discuss something. When they do invite the experts they’re just some YouTuber rather than someone with actual expertise.

chakaping
    Free Member

The BBC is mainly biased against itself, TBH.

Give us an example of some TV news reporting you regard as biased OP.

scotroutes

Shoot me down but I still think the BBC is as good as it gets, mainly as both the right and the left think it’s biased against them.

If you think the only possible bias is either left or right then you’ve already been taken in.

MoreCashThanDash

I agree that the BBC tries so hard to appear unbiased it’s painful, even if that means forgetting all about proper interrogation of people.

I’m an increasing fan of Channel 4, especially since their head news person caused an uproar for suggesting that if a politician is shown to have lied then journalists should use the word “lie” when discussing it with them.

I fear that they all care about viewer numbers and ratings rather than journalistic integrity though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mother thought Al Jazeera was quite decent – I’ve not sampled it myself though :

https://www.aljazeera.com/

Waderider
    Free Member

Any news source can be perceived as biased if you disagree with it.

The BBC is biased, pro the government for fear of being legislated against – especially the Tories; David Cameron held the BBC to ransom. Its also slightly right of centre.

The best solution is to take your news from a spread of sources, but eliminate extreme sources on the left or right.

TV News reporting is in failure regarding issues like climate change, and the poor dostribution of wealth across society.

SaxonRider

EuroNews. I love it. Moving pictures with a cold voice-over. Nothing more. It’s how news should be delivered.

chakaping
    Free Member

rather than journalistic integrity

What do you think that means though?

Not picking a fight, just wonder what people not in the trade think it would look like.

deadkenny
    Free Member

AJ as shown in the west is a funny one. Obviously biased but does a fair job of trying to look genuine, complete with known western journalists you think you’d trust. It’s state media of Qatar and the western channel is propaganda. Does cover many things you might not see on BBC and Sky, but there’s an agenda to it obviously.

The western version of RT is similarly biased obviously towards its state while trying to appeal to the west.

Anyway – https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

Though I don’t know if sites like that are themselves biased.

scotroutes

RT is pretty interesting. If you follow them on Twitter then you’d sometimes be hard pressed to tell where their bias lies. I guess they choose their stories carefully.

The BBC is the state broadcaster for the UK. In that sense, it’s little different from AJ and RT. TBH I rarely see broadcast news these days, my knowledge of the BBC is mainly from their website and from BBC Scotland. The latter, in particular, is a complete travesty.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is there any one channel that’s better than the others ?

No. All of them are biased in some form or another.

However, BBC is worst because they are funded by the public.

I tend to watch all the biased news to get the whole picture.

Edukator
    Free Member

France 24 😉 and Euronews 🙂 And Eins Extra (no smiley)

deadkenny
    Free Member

Euronews is one of the most neutral, but it’s a really tediously dull rotation of plain news in voice over style with not much detail and there’s still a bias in that it’s mostly focused on EU stuff. There’s only so much tediously factual stuff about Brussels, France and Germany you can cope with. They did cover some Brexit the other day though. Only flipped over as BBC and Sky were off on their agenda programmes rather than reporting news.

Edukator
    Free Member

Compare the amount of US and ex-commonwealth news in/on any UK media and compare with the amount of news from Europe. I’ve compared Sky and TF1 on some days and had the impression the news was from two different planets.

northernsoul

The BBC is biased, pro the government for fear of being legislated against – especially the Tories; David Cameron held the BBC to ransom. Its also slightly right of centre.

My brother (farmer, Mail reader), and my dad (working class Tory) would disagree. Even Private Eye is too left wing for them 🤔

tinribz
    Free Member
    nealglover
    Free Member

However, BBC is worst because they are funded by the public.

If that was actually a reason to be biased then it would logically mean they are biased towards reporting news in a way that is in the best interests of “the public”

Such as telling the public the truth 100% of the time regardless of the fallout, and reporting things that may be uncomfortable but that the public should be fully aware of so they can act (or vote) accordingly.

I’m rarely sure I know what you are talking about, but I’m guessing that wasn’t what you were going for ?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s all gone downhill since Naked News shut down 🙁

mefty
    Free Member

The News Summaries in R4 News Programmes cover more News in 10 mins that any of the TV bulletins, which aren’t really about news anymore – I don’t watch them now. Having seen what the C4 editors and talking heads say on Twitter I wouldn’t look to them for anything unbiased.

CountZero

I’m rarely sure I know what you are talking about, but I’m guessing that wasn’t what you were going for ?

Pretty much the conclusion I’d arrived at.

matt_outandabout

+1

funkrodent

What bias are you referring to exactly? Only every news channels is biased anyway. Right from the point that they decide which stories to run and which not. Which ones to focus on and which ones to gloss over. Point is you’ll never get something that is completely unbiased. Unless you had some kind of algorithm running the news, but even that would be tainted by whoever developed it.

All news outlets then are biased, be it political, social, racial, economic, geographic. Whatever. For what it’s worth, in the UK I’d say the BBC goes to the most effort to adopt a neutral, mid-ground position, but that in itself is a bias.

If you want to read a publication that prides itself on being as neutral and all encompassing as possible, have a gander at Private Eye. Funny, frightening and seriously enlightening

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sometime in the early 21st century? Man on the street Vox pops are so 90s.

If you want to read a publication that prides itself on being as neutral and all encompassing as possible, have a gander at Private Eye.

Im not sure attacking everyone is the same as unbiased.

andy8442
    Free Member

The Tories have spent the last 10 years filling the higher positions of BBC news with their cronies and sympathisers. The BBC as a whole are sh!t scared of the current government, as they hold the purse strings, and are no longer in any position to fight.You may occasionally hear “tough” question from on air talent, but the line of questioning rarely gets going as the little voice in their ears shoots them down very swiftly.

I work in the media, not news, but have many colleagues who do, and they say what as has happened at the Beeb, in news in particular, is frightening.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Compare the amount of US and ex-commonwealth news in/on any UK media and compare with the amount of news from Europe. I’ve compared Sky and TF1 on some days and had the impression the news was from two different planets.

^^^Agree with this.

BBC changes to US news late at night. The constant bombardment of American culture/ideals has been going on as long as I can remember and long before. Seems to be working with many UK adults speaking Americanisms day to day and consuming pretty much exclusively, American content via subscription services and social media. Not to mention the polemical politics, devotion to corporate products, pursuit & worship of fame and money, including derision of anybody who doesn’t share the same goals.

Amazing how we get such brief and glossed over news from our fellow European countries. Except when there’s a terrorist incident or football match/sporting event hosted there. Remember the European wide austerity protests that got the briefest coverage, compared to the amount and detail lavished on the thousands of miles away middle east.

Constant promotion of the royal family. Harry and Meghan the new public relations diarrhoea spray.

gordimhor

I binned the TV licence 5 years ago due to BBC Scotland’s biased coverage of the independence referendum. I haven’t missed the BBC or  TV

jim25

So here’s a prime example of some excellent BBC reporting a few weeks back.

Bbc

epicyclo

BBC – the news sewer.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Un-biased TV news reporting ?’ is closed to new replies.