Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Umm…So…Yoga?
  • crazyjenkins01

Afternoon beautiful people!

I have been thinking of things to help keep the boredom at bay during lockdown while i’m not at work.

Might give yoga a try, as I’ve heard loads about it but never really considered it.

Anyone got any suggestions (or links!) for YouTube or whatever for some MTB specific beginners yoga stuff that you’ve tried? Good channels to look at, specific posters to search for etc etc…

Cheers all

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont do it. Next you will be knitting youghurt and wearing a leotard all day with your legs folded over the back of your head.

NewRetroTom

Abi Carver has done some stuff for PinkBike and seems pretty good.

crazyjenkins01

@Trimix, no chance of knitting, I’m hamfisted! Leotard sounds fun though 😉

Thanks Tom, From Tom 🙂

rossburton
    Free Member

I much prefer pilates: similar stretching and bodyweight-based exercise but with at least some basis in physiology and no spiritual woo.

b33k34

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

is supposed to be the online yoga goddess.

At some point you really want to find a good ‘hands on’ teacher who corrects your poses to learn properly as its hard to know if you’re doing it *right* (even in front of a mirror). though Pilates is much worse.

Do it. if they only exercise you do is cycling it makes a big difference

jimmy

Abi Carver is great… She doesn’t have many long routines on but what NewRetroTom posted is good and you can combine these for a good stretch

Also check out the Nike Training Club app, plenty Yoga workouts. They’re quite samey, but varying lengths so do what you feel like.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The App Downward Dog is a decent place to start, free ATM IIRC.

Sandwich

no spiritual woo

Don’t knock it for stressed people, as some of us are, it is a great way to relax. I used to go to a class where there was 30 minutes of mind clearance to start and some light warming up, and hour of the difficult stuff (middle-age weighty cyclist difficult) and then 30 minutes of winding down with lights down and relaxing sounds. It was great for the place that I was in at that time.

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for the input guys

stevie750

The Abie Carver ones are good, she gives a good description of the pose.

The ones that annoy me the most are those that say they are for beginners and then hallway through they are doing a headstand or some other complicated poses

IHN

Those Abi Carver videos would certainly get me to, er, firm up. Cripes.

rossburton
    Free Member

At some point you really want to find a good ‘hands on’ teacher who corrects your poses to learn properly as its hard to know if you’re doing it *right* (even in front of a mirror). though Pilates is much worse.

Oh god, yes, this. I do pilates in a class and the tutor is constantly walking around and pushing or twisting limbs. So easy to think you’re doing something right and in fact not working a muscle hard enough or worse using an entirely inappropriate muscle.

mogrim

Sufferfest has them, week’s free trial too. Abi Carver does them.

https://thesufferfest.com/blogs/the-sufferfest-blog/join-the-30-day-power-up-yoga-challenge

llama

Lots of places have their classes online using Zoom with reduced rates at the moment

It’s an ideal time to start without the anxiety of showing up at a class and everyone being amazing at it apart from you

I don’t think you need MTB specific. IMO if you concentrate on things that you think are needed for MTB, you might miss out on something that has an unexpected benefit to you, such as the spiritual woo 🙂

addy6402

Currently doing a 30 day yoga with Adriene programme before work each morning. She is good, although I must try out the mtb-specific one…

Joe

Always shocking to injure yourself doing yoga. Be careful!

leffeboy

Currently doing a 30 day yoga with Adriene programme

Been doing this as well. Liking that it leaves a bit more space that being purely stretchy

chrisyork

We do yoga with Adrienne, v good and jeez I was hurting earlier 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Umm…So…Yoga?’ is closed to new replies.