Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Umbilical Hernia
  • mildred

Anyone got one?

I’ve just found out I’ve got one & Dr says the NHS no longer treat them. Just wondering I should do anything different (except perhaps lose weight).

He also advised against those belts/truss saying they do nothing. This sort of makes sense as it’s well inside my belly button hole.

Haze

Yeah I have one, doc noticed it about 3 years ago when I was being examined for a chest infection.

Was told to leave it unless it starts to hurt or significantly change…it hasn’t.

wilde86
    Free Member

Had one repaired on the NHS in October. Pain in the arse.. and stomach. Had it for a few years but was getting worse, visited my GP and was referred and under the knife in 2 months. Didn’t use the mesh, just stitched it and now I have an innie with a smiley above. 8 weeks later, 10kg heavier, I was back on the bike.

dc2.0

Had one. Had it repaired 25 years ago with massive old school horizontal 8” scar and mesh implant. Sore for 3 months but still holding strong

mildred

Thanks folks 👍🏻

senorj

I had one & an inguinal one done at the same time. PIAS recovery for me and I still get random twinges & pains* 3 years later. Cycling definitely helps.
    Conversely , I know at least 6 folk who have had same procedure & had no problem at all ,3 of them were back at work the next day! Good luck.

* Post op MRI revealed hernias were healed but I developed L5 vertebrae/sciatica issues after op. I’m not bitter , honest. 🙂

martymac

Had one the size of my fist repaired in 2016, using mesh via keyhole.
    6 weeks off work, lost 1.5 stone because it hurt too much to jump up to the fridge.
    No hassle since.

mildred

… because it hurt too much to jump up to the fridge.

Really made me giggle imagining how small you are and how big your fridge is if you have to jump up to get to it 😂😂😂

catfood
    Free Member

Are you in Oxfordshire? I had an inguinal hernia done a few months back and my surgeon mentioned they no longer treat hernias in Oxfordshire, they just leave you to it, apparently all the horror stories they were warned about just haven’t materialised.

I had an umbilical one fixed about fifteen years ago, I was back at work in a couple of weeks with no follow up problems but all hernias are different, depends on size, location, mesh, not mesh etc, etc, my inguinal one has kept me off the bike for three months as it was massive apparently and I’m still not ready to ride up hills.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Umbilical Hernia’ is closed to new replies.