Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Ultrasonic baths
  • theotherjonv

Thinking of one for Christmas, but see prices from around 40 to well over £100 on the internet; are cheap ones ‘nearly’ as good or if not what’s the difference? Any recommendations; I’m just bored of the house smelling of petrol or white spirit after every few rides and want something that’ll clean a cassette and chain more easily.

(also – what size for practicality vs not being daft)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Try using a different lube? My chains and cassettes are always like new. I use Squirt and swear by it all year round.

theotherjonv

road as well? Mine get covered in black road oil this time of year.

nixie

A cassette won’t fit in the cheap ones. I got one and tried it a few years back. It’s sat untouched for ages. Suspect your need a proper big one to be effective (several hundreds range).

Paradiso
    Free Member

In my experience, they are not very good for cleaning cassettes, even if you use degreaser in them. I got a heated one that was around £300 and you still have to brush and scrape to remove the oily grime afterwards. Degreaser, a brush and a bowl is a better option. Get some less pungent degreaser.

luke0912
    Free Member

I have one but it’s a lot of hasstle getting it out and set up and the water heated, it’s also quite noisy while running. I find a quick scrub with some Morgan’s blue is the best option

richardkennerley

Try using a different lube? My chains and cassettes are always like new. I use Squirt and swear by it all year round.

As above, is squirt any good on road drive train?

I’m amazed how filthy mine gets after just one ride compared to the mtb with the same lube on it

scaredypants

I have one – haven’t used it for years. PITA
    Well-sealed plastic tub and a good shake for the chain, then stiff brush & degreaser with the cassette still on the wheel for me

theotherjonv

Hmmmm…..

Anyone got any good ideas for what to ask the family for for christmas then !

leffeboy

Anyone got any good ideas for what to ask the family for for christmas then !

How about a well-sealed plastic tub, stiff brush and degreaser? 🙂

Actually, I find a deep metal baking tin usefull for this sort of cleaning work along with a brush and degreaser

K

Small parts washer with a built in pump and degreaser?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oily rag mate. The 1940s* says so.

Put the ‘pat’ back in ‘patina’. Too much rubbing is bad for joints.

* Decommissioned Anderson shelter optional 😉

benv
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be about soaking in the tub listening to 90s rave music.

senorj

We have one at work. It’s rubbish for cassettes, had to clean mine with degreaser after I used it.

damascus
    Free Member

You can’t beat washing up liquid and a scrub!

For that kind of price you could buy a dishwasher!

robowns
    Free Member

Love the idea of a dishwasher in someone’s garage just to wash bike bits.

Not sure who’s road cassettes are getting dirtier than their MTBs? My MTB comes back a state from a ride atm.

MoreCashThanDash

My MTB cassettes come back coated in mud and grit which – mostly – just wash off. My road cassette seems to get a nasty black sticky build up on it

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Ultrasonic baths’ is closed to new replies.