• This topic has 26 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ultra Marathon books.
  • andycs

My wife is signed up for an ultra next year. Does anyone know any good books containing info on training, preparation, nutrition etc that I can get her for Christmas? Thanks.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

not training per se, but if she hasnt already read it buy ‘what i talk about when i talk about running’ by Murakami.

rjmccann101

While not a training manual a copy of Feet in the Clouds by Richard Askwith might be of interest. It about fell running and the Bob Graham round but it would work as mental preparation.

riklegge

I also found “ultramarathon man” by Dean Karnazes pretty good

tomnavman
    Free Member

I’m currently reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall which is an interesting read

marcus
    Free Member

Running Beyond by Ian Corless makes good coffee table material. (In all honesty, it’ll be you that needs the good book when she’s out training and / or too tired to move, etc).

danradyr1
    Free Member

Not quite a training book but bought this last year for my brother in law and he loves it

Running Beyond: Epic Ultra, Trail and Skyrunning Races

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Born to run is good.

As is Run or Die by killian Jornet

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member
    surfer
    Free Member

No way of saying it without sounding critical but doesnt she already have some insight into these things before “entering”

allfankledup

Join the fling facebook page…. or glee club….

salad_dodger

Another vote for Run or Die by KJ.

avdave2

À la recherche du temps perdu

7 volumes, hard to beat that as an ultra marathon book 🙂

ajf
    Free Member

Survival of the fittest by Mike Stroud is a good book. Its not purely about ultra running but is about endurance fitness and has plenty of running relevant things.

irelanst
    Free Member

This one contains an overview of training and nutrition;

I found it quite a good read.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The only one I’ve ever read, and it made me realise just how sane I am.

salad_dodger – Member
    Another vote for Run or Die by KJ.

+1

CraigW
    Free Member

Eat and Run by Scott Jurek is good, some inspiring stuff, and nutritional advice.

I didn’t like the Dean Karnazes book, he seems like a rather annoying guy.

T1000
    Free Member

Not a training book but a really good read The Ghost Runner

MrSparkle

Runner.,A short book about a long run by Lizzy Hawker is very good.

Duffer
    Free Member

Survival of the fittest by Mike Stroud is a good book. Its not purely about ultra running but is about endurance fitness and has plenty of running relevant things.

My favourite ever book ever.

MrSparkle

Also – Adventures in mind by Heather Dawe.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Stroud +1

andycs

Thanks all, some good ideas there.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Picked up a copy of Eat & Run this morning. Already got Relentless Forward Progress. The Lore of Running has a fair bit of info on ultras, and doubles up as a weight for training/weapon in case of burglars.

ciron
    Free Member

Relentless Forward Progress is good or try “never wipe your arse with a squirrel” which is available as a free pdf if you search.

i_like_food

+2 for both Run or Die and Relentless Forward Progress. The former for motivation and the latter for tips and whatnot.

I’d also suggest the Run Ultra podcast by Ian Corless and the Science of Ultra podcast. Both good for those loooooooooong long runs.

nickc

Anna Karenina’s quite long, as is War and Peace

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ultra Marathon books.’ is closed to new replies.