Ultra-gnar but lightweight front tyre? (26" tubed content)

Home Forum Bike Forum Ultra-gnar but lightweight front tyre? (26" tubed content)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ultra-gnar but lightweight front tyre? (26" tubed content)
  • bigyinn

Hans Dampf 2.35??

headpotdog

I’ve been looking for exactly the same type of tyre as you recently and have narrowed the options down to either:

Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 (concerned it might be a bit on the small side).

Bontrager XR4 2.35 (not sure if it’s worth paying for the Team issue version or not).

Specialized Purgatory 2.35 (not sure if it makes a good front tyre as most of the user reviews only rate it as a rear).

I’m probably going to go for the Bontrager XR4 as it’s meant to be a good all rounder, but would be really interested in how they compare to Minions or indeed to the Panaracer Rampage’s I’m running at the moment.

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

The DHF 2.35″ Minion comes up about 2.25″ on my vernier..

rocketman

Thanks folks but have already tried a 2.35 Minion it’s a bit too skinny for me. Purgatory might be an option but it looks like an Advantage?

Would prefer something less trail-bikey and more gravity orientated, but without the weight.

rocketman

Have always been a fan of the bigger Minions and more recently Big Bettys/Muddy Marys but of course they all weigh the thick end of a kg

What I’m looking for is something that has the same grip-tastic characteristics but without the weight – 600-700g or so would be great

So a big high-volume tyre with sharp, pointy tread blocks that doesn’t weigh a ton, suitable for winch-and-plummet type riding

Cheers folks

Specialized Butcher Control. Very similar carcass and knob size and tread pattern to a Minion 2.5 but only 730g.

rocketman

Hmm I like the sound of the Butcher. A 2.5 Minion with a useful weight saving. Thanks!

maroonbells

Butcher Control +1, it rocks.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Butcher too… Superb tyres, well they would be, they’re a modernised upgraded Minion made by the same people 😉 best allround tyre I’ve used by miles.

robbonzo

Butcher, job done. love it.

rocketman

Thanks folks. Have got them in stock at the lbs for £30 got to be worth a shot.

^ ^ ^ ^
    Look! Agreement on a tyre thread – note the date!

mr plow

Butcher is very good but does imo drag more than a 60A minion so depends on your priorities.

missnotax

does imo drag more than a 60A minion

Crikey – and they’re hardly fast rolling are they??! 😯 😆

rocketman

Just a quick update on the Butcher

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

2.4″ Racing Ralph?

aphex_2k

2.35 Maxxis Ignitor?

persona

Panaracer Dart 2.2? in biscuit

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ultra-gnar but lightweight front tyre? (26" tubed content)’ is closed to new replies.