Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • ultimate MTB Holiday?
  • mahalo

A few us are turning 40 next year, which is the perfect opportunity / excuse to do something a bit special without too much hassle from the wags…

I have done the alps, morzine and surrounding areas a few times, les arcs, alpe dhuez, we had a week with Whiteroom a few years ago which was amazing. Also done Finale, and Malaga with switchbacks.

Stipulations. I want incredible riding foremost, don’t mind a climb or hike if the rewards are worth it!
    Has to be Europe realistically
    Best chance of nice weather.
    Decent digs, not too salubrious but preferably no tents or budget hotel rooms either.
    Nice bit of scenery would be good, and the potential to drop into little villages for a beer during the day.
    Spot on food, preferably as part of the price…

would also be good if the destination was attractive to the non or lesser keen riders who might also want to attend the jollyup.

Im inspired by the EWS, so initial thoughts are Ainsa, can go there with basquemtb? Actually the other basquemtb packages look great too.
    Canazei EWS looked amazing, but looks like a self guide job and a bit bikeparky in reality?
    Madeira ! freeride madeira are very poular

love to hear opinions of any of these or any other reccos please??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never been tbh, but Doug’s set up at BasqueMTB always appealed, looks amazing.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

FWIW, I’m 40 next year and hope to spend a week in Moab. I’ve been there for the day, and I have a real hankering to go back. Biking and kayaking.

nickjb
    Free Member

would also be good if the destination was attractive to the non or lesser keen riders who might also want to attend the jollyup.

This will be the tricky bit. Anywhere epic will require effort, skill and experience. If the priority is riding for you then I think you will need to leave less keen riders behind. If the group is important then somewhere like Morzine is ideal as you can all ride together, do different runs to the same place, less keen riders can go to the bar early, keenies can do extra loops or a big day out. This may not be “ultimate” enough, especially if you have been before. For me it would really be either/or. An epic trip to somewhere epic with a few close mates or a big group trip to somewhere more accessible.

superfli
    Free Member

If be looking at going back to finale. Play all day, party all night 🤙

Tracey

I’ve done both Canazei and Ainsa in the last couple of years. We rode every day, daughter was doing the EWS.

Out of the two areas I’m not sure that Canazei would be on my to do list, not a lot of challenge apart from the EWS runs, there is a lot better riding in other areas of Italy.

Ainsa is on the list to go back to as I’m sure we only scratched the surface. Will probably go back in the next couple of years and spend a lot longer exploring

Our daughter has been to Madeira a couple of times and really rates the riding but found it expensive. She found Whistler cheaper

impatientbull

I did a week in Ainsa with BasqueMTB last spring. Would definitely recommend. Thinking about booking on to the same trip again this Autumn. Great riding, mostly uplifted. Excellent guides. Apartment accommodation in the old town in Ainsa.

frogstomp

I’d head back to the White Room – you know how good the trails, accommodation and food are and, from the trips I’ve been on, they’re well-versed in catering for varied groups. They’re also now based in BSM so easier for non-riders (or people who want a day off) to get out and about independently.

lucky7500

The Basque MTB trips are fantastic and very much tick all of your boxes. Amazing riding, stunning scenery, and arguably too much nice food!! Accommodation and logistics are all very impressive as well. When I was on the Basque coast trip there were two non riders. Hondarribia (where the trip is based) is a tourist destination in its own right and seems to have plenty to do and see.
    The riding in Madeira is unbeleivable and certainly in Funchal good weather appears to be all but guaranteed. From my experience, the majority of riders just do the riding with Freeride though and organise accommodation, eating etc themselves which is very easy and pretty cheap. All of Madeira is set up for tourism so non riders wouldn’t have a problem at all.
    One thing to consider with Madeira is that it is a four and a half hour flight from the UK which might open up considering other further afield destinations.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Must admit, reading your wish list I did think you should give Doug at BasqueMTB a call. The Pyrenees is stunning but not sure what’s available to non riders.

Basque coast can still offer some cracking riding to challenge any Alps holiday with more for the non riders.

mactheknife

As stated, Doug at Basque MTB is your man.

I have been out 4 or 5 times and all of my riding mates have been return customers many times.

He does different trips depending on what you are after. The guides are awesome too. So much knowledge.

Drop him a line. I doubt you will regret it.

tuboflard

Another vote for Basque MTB. Did the Backcountry Enduro trip last year which was outstanding but probably not suitable for non-riders as stopping in some pretty remote spots and moving on every day or two. Coast trip should be perfect though as based from one spot all week I believe and there’s loads to see along the cost from San Sebastián to Bilbao. I’ve done numerous trips there without any riding involved and still loved it.

But yes, drop Doug a line and watch some of the BKXC footage on YouTube for an idea of the kind of trails they ride.

johnhe

I’ve just finished watching BKXC’s tour of Mont Blanc on YouTube. That looks like an awesome multi-day outing. Hard to beat in Europe imo.

scuttler

‘Ultimate’ you say?

Ultimate Pyrenees

I went. I still think about it. A lot.

Doug offers slightly less than Ultimate versions. Think ‘business class’. Only problem with any popular guiding business is (probably) the backlog of bookings they’ll want to fulfill next year from this year. But (click heels) Doug’ll be along any minute if you have questions.

EDIT: just read “special without too much hassle from the wags…”. Doug’s Basque Coast trip based in Hondarribia w/ San Sebastian around the corner would tick that box no problem. Beach, bars, restaurants, good accommodation choices. Did I mention first class mountain biking?

tourismo

Bike village ticks all those boxes, amazing riding, great farmhouse accommodation with lovely food. Sam and Lyndsey are great hosts and all their guides are first rate. Would’ve been out there again this year if it hadn’t been for Covid.

julians
    Free Member

I was going to suggest finale, but you’ve already done that. So how about madeira? Fantastic scenary, amazing riding, great accomodation, beer.

we used freeride madeira , they sorted out the accomodations , transfers and guiding.

MTB holidays tours rentals Madeira island

ta11pau1

Canada. Squamish, North shore, etc.

Oh.

Best chance of nice weather.
    Decent digs, not too salubrious but preferably no tents or budget hotel rooms either.
    Nice bit of scenery would be good, and the potential to drop into little villages for a beer during the day.
    Spot on food, preferably as part of the price…

Dolomites.

Stunning, stunning scenery, great food (it’s Italy…).

Pretty sure there’ll be some guided trips around there.

I went there few years ago on a motorbike (before I got back into mtb) and vowed to return as many times as I could.

titusrider
    Free Member

Id be giving these guys a call:
    H + I Adventures

Nepal? Nz? or more realistically the swiss one looks amazing

I get the impression they are slightly more at the luxury end of things but you did say ultimate 🙂

scuttler

H+I – bookmarked!

eyestwice
    Free Member

Someone on here runs mountain biking holidays in Norway. Can’t remember who but it’s something I plan on looking in to soon.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Endless Trails aka Julia Hobson who also now runs the Ben Jones MTB trips. Might not be cheap, will definitely be excellent.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ash of trans Provence fame now runs

Home

amazing area for riding, pretty pimp accommodation, french food, option of Italian riding and food. Med weather. Enjoy!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Swindon.

Or if you had not stipulated Europe than Puru looks amazing

the00
    Free Member

I’ve been to Ainsa with Basque MTB, and would recommend it to any competent rider. The area isn’t packed with not outdoors stuff for non-bikers though.
    I’d love to go and try their costal trips, or their high mountain week.

I’ve not riden with them yet, but Ridgeline are in the quiet end of Tuscany, and I’ve heard many good things and seen some epic photos. Great options for non-bikers, including Florence, Lucca, the towns and villages of the Garfagnana and Lunigiana, Pisa, the cinque Terra etc. In fact, the non-bikers might have just as much fun as the riders.

mahalo

thanks for all the replies.

Although maybe should’ve put less emphasis on the less keen or non riders – in reality there probably won’t be any of those, but I’ll have to invite a few.

Basque mtb looking favourite atm… looks amazing but is a bit pricey and doesn’t include evening meals… that’s not a deal breaker but I always end up eating poorly when fending for myself.. burgers or pizzas every night!

mahalo

The ultimate pyranees trip sounds awesome!! Could probably accept a few nights in a tent for that…

dakuan
    Free Member

Not quite europe but similar travel time and costs…but if you are looking for something a bit different how about Morocco? http://www.freeridemorocco.com run an amazing trip. It’s a real adventure too – point to point, not resort skiing style shuttle. It’s fully supported (there is a van with a chef following you around) with accomodation in ‘gites’. Which become increasingly spartan as you get further into the mountains. Food etc is all local and authentic. The trails are superb too, terrain is a bit like Malaga, steep, loose, rocky, techy. Theres no flow trails there! You get a day and night in Marrakesh too for some city stuff.

Here’s a vid, im the rider ahead in orange https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2RgI5P1ko&t=120s

Furious

Basque mtb looking favourite atm… looks amazing but is a bit pricey and doesn’t include evening meals… that’s not a deal breaker but I always end up eating poorly when fending for myself.. burgers or pizzas every night!

Me and two mates did the Back Country Pyrenees trip with Basque MTB a couple of years ago and we were catered for every night. I think there were a couple of meals we had to pay for but we all ate (incredible food) together every meal time. I thought we ate really well.

It’s a well organised trip with, as others have said, great guides, fantastic trails and stunning scenery

If you’re going in Spring – beware the caterpillars…

dknwhy

I did Freeride Morocco last year in a group of 2 (!)

I enjoyed it in terms of a rounded experience but the riding was more on the XC side of things with a few steep goat tracks. If you’re into bike parks, it may not be for you.

Kamakazie

Slovenia with Ride Slovenia
    Great riding & hosting, amazing scenery (pristine countryside) and still relatively cheap for those lunchtime beers!

duncancallum

Jonny at ride Slovenia.

I’m back in October all being well.

Look at his alps to sea trip its brilliant.

mahalo

Alps to sea looks class. have you driven there?

duncancallum

Normally fly from Stansted.

Cheap flights too at the moment

johni
    Free Member

Bubion with Switch-backs? Of the two locations, I much prefer the “atmos” and riding in Bubion. Malaga is very good, but the trails in Bubion, food and beer with free tapas are much better.

v7fmp

That Basque stuff looking awesome! Will definitely investigate further

I did Madeira last year, it was good, but probably not somewhere I will go back to. It was a nice variety of trails and surfaces (open rocky mountains to deep loam forests), but the amount of riding done vs amount of time in the van was nowhere near the same as say Finale Ligure (which we did the year before). And the lunch breaks seem to be longer than expected.

Having said that, our guide was amazing (pedro from freeride mad), the trails were decent and the town we staying in was pleasant. it was just a shame we couldn’t cram more riding in. Oh and the love for Ronaldo was wild!!

the00
    Free Member

On my Winter Enduro Trip to Ainsa with Basque MTB we stayed in Ainsa every night. There are a handful of places to eat. It’s rural Spain, so there’s not HUGE choice, but we ate good food at good prices, prob about £20-30 a night including a few beers. Options for veggies and gluten free too.
    I came away feeling like the week was excellent value for money for the set up that they had. How much were you thinking of spending? 900 Eur for a week seems pretty good to me, including 7 nights B&B accom (sharing), airport transfers, 4 or 5 guides, 2 vans etc. They also did their own lunches for about a fiver a day per person, but that’s down to group agreement.

I’ve not ridden Slovenia either, but it’s on my list.

Poland might have some cheaper options. There’s definitely great riding there.

willt
    Free Member

Go big and do Moab and Sedona. It was such a great week, expensive but I dont regret the cost one bit. The whole enchilada trail was the best days riding I have ever had in life and I have been privileged to ride in lots of amazing places.

In hindsight I would have done that trail twice with a few days between the change in terrain is amazing.

mahalo

we normally volunteer a couple of drivers. they drive down with a van full of bikes and gear, and spares!!

mahalo

Moab looks like an incredible experience, but is the riding actually that good? looks a bit lamo from the videos ive just watched…

mahalo

Ainsa is a lot further inland than i realised. Basquemtb only ride there Nov-March (i was thinking April – May or june) and there appears to be naff all other uplift companies.. but then again the EWS never uplifted..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘ultimate MTB Holiday?’ is closed to new replies.