Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)
  • Ultimate 140mm light-weight trail bike
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

After the Alps its time to pass on the RFX frame to a new owner and think about going back to a 140mm steed.

I want to build something really light weight but burly enough for a 15 stone owner!

Is it possible to get a Blur LT below 26lbs?

To get really light do I need to go carbon?

Would like to stay with a 4 bar set up if poss as it suits my riding style and weight.

So STW know it alls, give me some advice!

:mrgreen:

druidh
    Free Member

What’s the weight limit on a Blur XC Carbon? i.e. do you really need 140mm?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Was thinking the carbon LT2 as would like 140mm but guess they will cost a fortune and no chance of getting one of those bad boys second hand any time soon!

markd
    Free Member

Lapierre 914 of any interest to you? Or a 714 if you dont have the bunts?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

never considered the Lapierre, time for some research!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it possible to get a Blur LT below 26lbs?

I would imagine so, as you can get the ordinary Blur below 19lbs….

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yeah I think the carbon LT2 would be perfect, but then it’s a £2299 frame 😯 ! Having said that, I’m in the market for my dream trail bike this year & I reckon that is it.

titusrider
    Free Member

Ibis MOJO SL all the way 🙂

they just make it all sooo easy. I liked my 4 bar FSR titus but the mojo is as good. stiffens slightly under acceleration and sucks up anything downhill. also corners like its on rails, mine is 26 pounds with really normal trail kit.

🙂

Dougal
    Free Member

MSC Zion Carbon. I know of two sub 25lb builds that are raced DH.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/zion-carbon-r-32381

freeform5spot
    Free Member

that IBIS looks a bit sweet!

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Chumba VF2, 4 bar, carbon rear end, light enough and super stiff, Chumba pride themselves on building some of the siffest frames on the market.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Love the build on that Chumba, Si.

metalheart
    Free Member

Hope mine will scrub up that nicely…

(definitely looks good in white)

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

metalheart, you ordered a black VF2?

hitman
    Free Member

Looking for the same bike myself
    Either La Pierre Zesty 514/714 or Ibis Mojo/Mojo sl
    trying to find bikes to demo in a large is a nightmare
    Also not sure the mojo sl is worth the extra over the syandard
    worried about the low bottom bracket on the Ibis

Rickos
    Free Member

Steve Jones from Dirt got his Orange 5 down to around 25 pounds.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Hitman, if you fancy a VF2 mail me, i have a few frames at REALLY good prices…

auricgoldfinger

Nicolai Helius CC or swap your RFX for a new 5Spot. Just had my DW Spot up in the Peak this last weekend and it was excellent (but is a bit porky although pedals lighter than it weighs if you know what I mean). My Helius (130, but I believe going up to 140) runs in at 25.5 lbs, so light enough, stiff and a four bar. Ticks all your boxes (but it’ll cost I’m afraid).

metalheart
    Free Member

#
    si_brodiebikes – Member

metalheart, you ordered a black VF2?

Yup. Looks good in white as well…

😀

njee20
    Free Member

Gotta be a Mojo, even the standard one, or the SL if you have the cash. I really want one!

Spud

Titus Motolite or FTM?

Daffy

26lbs in this guise. New Dt 150s would remove another 250g, ghetto tubeless another 500g, loose the Joplin, another 350g you’re at 23.8lbs

Give me a few days and I’ll be there…

RepacK
    Free Member

I think my LT2 is 26.5 lbs but I could probably loose 0.5lb if I went for Stans & some lighter tyres. I wldnt change anything else I dont think..

FYI the finishing kit is XTR, Easton combo of seatpost, stem & bars w Hope M4 brakes & Hope hoops w High Rollers. Forks are Fox Talas.

So yeah I do think it can be done..

coopersport1
    Free Member

My Orange 5 is 26.2lb! No expensive carbon in sight. I do however have a real itch for a MOJO it’s about the only bike i’d replace the 5 with.

grumm
    Free Member

Why is it so important to get a light bike when you weigh 15 stone? 😛

enmac
    Free Member

Surpised no one has mentioned the Yeti 575, slightly more travel but not difficult to build to 26 lbs, The half carbon version is almost as light as the carbon Blur LT2 and considerably cheaper.

ajc
    Free Member

Grumm thats exactly what i was thinking. And how long is a really light weight 140 travel bike with a 15 stoner on board going to last.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

At the risk of getting flamed I reckon there are some very optimistic weights being published here. My Blur LT2 with air Pikes, RP23, DT4.2 rims, Easton Monkeylight, Truvativ cranks, Hope Mono Minis, SRAM X9 comes in at 29lbs according to the bathroom scales. It is the most fantastic AM bike, and built for taking reasonably big hits, so not desouigned to be a racing snake. The LT2 carbon only arrives in June, saves probably 1lb in weight, and the frame alone will be about £2500.

If you want something with 140mm it is going to come in around 28/29lbs because a 140mm travel full suss will be built to take hits. If you want 26lbs you will be looking at a 100mm to 120mm pure XC machine

soma_rich
    Free Member

I think CaptainMainwaring talks sense. Do you really need something that light? Why have do you have such a specific requirement for wieght?

yossarian
    Free Member
    nickc

carbon Blur has no weight restrictions on it.

Why not have a light bike? There are no rules that say you have to have a bigger heavier bike just because you weigh more.

Offroading
    Free Member

Id defo check the MSC Zion out, i’ve ridden one twice and it’s brilliant for trail duties.

druidh
    Free Member

CaptainMainwaring – Member

At the risk of getting flamed I reckon there are some very optimistic weights being published here

Wot he said.

pedalhead
    Free Member

The LT2 carbon only arrives in June, saves probably 1lb in weight, and the frame alone will be about £2500.

Probably splitting hairs at this price point, but according to the pdf available on the UK SCB website, the LTc frame will be £2299, which makes it the same price as a Mojo SL. Admittedly, I was also expecting it to be a bit more than that based on the price of the XC carbon. Links to the PDFs at the bottom of this page.

stufield
    Free Member

New Scott Genius Carbon – 25lb easy

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s as easy to say ‘an all mountain bike will weigh x’, and I don’t think a 26lb bike will be a “pure XC machine”, I’d happily build up a 140mm travel bike with the kind of kit that would get it under 25lbs, but I’m not a hard rider, and I’m under 11 stone.

I do agree with the optimism of some of the weights though!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Why not have a light bike? There are no rules that say you have to have a bigger heavier bike just because you weigh more.

Not what I said. I was asking why look for something around a specific wieght. Why 26lbs? I dont know the weights of my bikes just that one is heavier than the others as it has more springs and pivots.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Gary Fisher Roscoe

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

IMO generally these types of bikes are better when they weigh a bit more. What i mean by that is weight on the types of frames mentioned here are pretty similar, it is things like wheels and forks that make a difference, and very light wheels and forks on 140mm bikes just don’t make sense imo.

I think 28lb-30lb on a Mojo/575/VF2 etc is the ideal compromise.

heihei

I’m with Si on this. My Mojo was initially built up as light as possible (Pace forks, full XTR etc). It gradually got heavier (Marz Z1 Lights, Joplin, bigger tyres) and to my mind got better and better. Slightly slacker angles and the extra weight meant it held it’s lines much better on rocky descents, steep drops, jumps etc. Sure it was a bit slower up hill, but in the scheme of things was still good. Sadly now sold.
    Same thing happened with my 5-Spot – started as light as possible (e.g. Maverick forks) but got better with Push rockers, bigger forks etc.
    If you want something lightweight, why not buy a hardtail, and keep the full-suss slightly burlier?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘Ultimate 140mm light-weight trail bike’ is closed to new replies.