Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ultegra hydraulic road brake hoods
  • kcr
    Free Member

A while ago I saw comments suggesting the hoods on the Ultegra road hydraulic brake levers had a tendency to work loose and get a bit squirmy. Some people even suggested the 105 lever was a better design.

Anyone got experience of either groupset and know if this still a problem on current versions?

tiim
    Free Member

I have the RS-505 (105 level) stis on my cross bike, in 600km (mostly racing) I’ve not had a problem with them moving, despite 3 decent crashes which were enough to scuff them.

I’d say it’s not an issue if everything is tight.

simondbarnes

There has only been one version of Ultegra hydraulic brake levers – the current R8020 ones (ok, 2 you count the di2 version).

Some people had issues with the non-series ST-RS685 hoods but I think that was sorted on later production runs. Not heard of any issues with the 105 ones (although they are properly ugly) and the R8020 haven’t been out very long (the ones I’ve used seemed absolutely fine though)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andysmiff1
    Free Member

RS-685s on the “nice” bike – had the sloppy hood Issue to begin with (had them about 2 years or so now?) but replaced the hoods with another pair from SJS and problem seems cured, so hopefully later production hoods were “tighter” and no one should have that issue anymore.

RS-505s on the Gravel bike. Better hood design IMO, but only looks a mother could love……easier bleed port location which prevents need to disturb hoods as much (which was what made my 685s go sloppy) and easier cable replacement too.

They seem much longer than the 685 hoods, so much so I went to a 10mm shorter stem! Some people complain that the hose entry point hurts their hands, but mine have been fine – YMMV though.

A

kilo

Is the replacement of the 685 hoods a lever off job or do they go on in situ. Mrs has them on her ibis and they’re a bit crap

andysmiff1
    Free Member

kilo – Member
    Is the replacement of the 685 hoods a lever off job or do they go on in situ. Mrs has them on her ibis and they’re a bit crap

I did it lever off as it prevented me stretching to hoods too much (and risking them going baggy)

I was swapping hoses at same time so it wasn’t a big deal to me, but could be a hassle if you weren’t planning on doing other jobs at the same time.

I found some alcohol gel worked as a good lubricant that evaporated nicely to leave them snug without too much pulling/tugging on the hoods.

A

pdw
    Free Member

Can be done levers on. It’s not as hard as you’d think. I used washing up liquid for lube. New hoods are much better and no sign of loosening yet so I think it was a problem with the rubber in the originals.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Had the original 685 hoods for about 3 years and 10,000 miles with no problems

djglover
    Free Member

I upgraded my 505 leavers, as I couldnt get on with the bulk of the hood, I have the 685 now and yes, the hoods squirm. I have some replacements as they are dirt cheap, but not sure how I will fit them without making them squirm…. forever

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra hydraulic road brake hoods’ is closed to new replies.