Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ultegra DI2 synchro
  • onandon
    Free Member

Looks like it will be available soon for ultegra.
    http://road.cc/content/tech-news/221037-syncronized-shifting-comes-shimano-ultegra-6800-and-dura-ace-9000-di2

It’s the stand out feature on my XTR DI2 and will be awesome on the road.

scaredypants

I think the etube software offers that for mine already. Haven’t tried to set it up though

njee20
    Free Member

Just not sure it appeals.

tomhoward

Interested in trying it on my DA9000, but do I need to buy a new battery to do it?

simondbarnes

but do I need to buy a new battery to do it?

If you haven’t got a BT-DN110 battery then yes, you do.

mattbee

I do wonder how well it will work on a road bike given the larger jump between front ring sizes. Would be cool to give it a go though, if it’s possible to program earlier versions.

njee20
    Free Member

Only if you have the latest battery. Which you won’t have!

mogrim

Wonder if my bike has the latest battery – only got it less than a month ago!

scaredypants

mine has 8) – replaced it recently 🙁 as the old one had gone weird (anyone know if there’s a repairer anywhere that might have a go at it? wondered about smudge but haven’t emailed him yet)

njee20
    Free Member

Oo, so has the groupset I’ve just ordered, so I can try it on both bikes to see.

Jason
    Free Member

I guess I have the old battery as mine groupset is about two years old. I am not sure if I can see the benefit of it, but would be interested to hear the feedback from anyone who gives it a go.

njee20
    Free Member

On the presumption it doesn’t change my life Jason I’m not averse to lending you a battery to test!

Jason
    Free Member

Thanks Nick, although if it isn’t life changing I am not sure I can be bothered with the hassle of reprograming my setup.

Pridds

You could do it on the recent stuff, you just had to have a PCE1 interface to progranmme it with. Most people don’t have one, so to do it without you need the new battery, the WU11 wirlesss unit and the etube bluetooth app

njee20
    Free Member

How recent? A lot of shops have a PCE1, so I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. If the newer battery had the ability to store the logic how does a PCE1 circumvent that?

njee20
    Free Member

double post

Maltloaf

I have it and it’s great. Has it changed my world? No. The full synchro mode is like having a 14 tooth cassette. I’m sure many won’t see the point of this, but in my opinion it’s a great addition. It’s easily set up via you laptop or phone if you have the bluetooth module (EW-WU111).

orangeboy
    Free Member

Even useing PCE1 you will need the latest battery , you can select the shift mode and pattern in the E-TUBE software but just get a message box pop up saying shift modes won’t work unless you have DT-DN110.

Only had a quick look the other day and will go back in over the weekend

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Am I the only person who doesn’t like synchro shift?
    I had it on my new XC race bike & found it just too slow to swap between the front rings when you need it to, so got rid of it.
    At trail centres it’s amazing, but on more natural trails, I found it can’t react quick enough, even on the quickest set up.

njee20
    Free Member

Am I the only person who doesn’t like synchro shift?

I’ve not tried it, but as above, I don’t really like the idea. I’ll give it a go as I’ve got the right battery and an EW-WU111.

onandon
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you guys had yours set up but my xtr / double does the synchro shift as quick as a regular rear shift.
    I don’t think my shift speed is at max so I’m surprised you find it slow.

We’re all different so its good to share perspectives from users.

As said above. I like it because it effectively gives me / and acts like a 15 ratio cassette.

njee20
    Free Member

The thing I don’t like is that I like to prepare for a front shift, I will shift on the rear when climbing out of the saddle, you can just ease off for an instant, if it decides to shift front and rear surely that’ll be messy?

onandon
    Free Member

Surprisingly not with XTR and I assume it will be the same with the road system.
    It shifts so fast on the front that it acts like just a rear change. If that makes sense.

It’s hard to explain, but it will shift the front and rear at the same time. This means that if you’re climbing a hill in the big ring and get to the top of the cassette ( big – big ) the next shift will be a synchro shift which will drop to the small on the front and simultaneously drop 3 or 4 on the back.
    In reality this feels like the rear cassette just grew by another 4 sprockets.

You can do this under power. I’ve done it under max load off road and it didn’t complain.

mattbee

That’s cool, it’s the thing that put me off investigating further.
    I do also quite like the idea of the semi synchro where it changes a few at the back when you shift at the front. Seems like it would be pretty useful without going the whole hog.

Maltloaf

For clarity, you only need the new battery DT-DN110 to run the synchro shift. The Bluetooth part, EW-WU111, is a nice to have and allows you to set up with a phone/iPad. It also displays your gear on a Garmin and the Garmin will beep when you are about to shift up or down on the big ring.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ultegra DI2 synchro’ is closed to new replies.