"Ukraine's interim president warns of dangerous signs of separatism"

Home Forum Chat Forum "Ukraine's interim president warns of dangerous signs of separatism"

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • "Ukraine's interim president warns of dangerous signs of separatism"
  • Bimbler

Ukraine’s interim President Olexander Turchynov has warned of the dangers of separatism following the ousting of President Viktor Yanukovych.

I’ve been thinking this over the last few weeks of unrest in Ukraine, if culturally Ukraine is essentially two countries then why not separate. Surely if you can’t live together it would be better to live apart?

Places like Afghanistan might be a whole lot less problematic if they too were split along ethno-cultural lines.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

you mean like scotland and england?

or north and south korea?

Theres obviously a lot of strong feeling either way, I just hope that Putin doesnt try and stir up too much, trouble, I cant see his ego taking this very well

iolo

How long will Putin let him live? I’m sure a radioactive umbrella will be pointing in his direction very soon.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

just your friendly russian soldiers stretching their legs in at Simferpol airport in Crimea

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

putin himself is also enroute

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

It’s okay, the interim president has dismissed the head of the armed forces. Because that’s never gone wrong…

Also Russia Today have reported that the heavily armed troops, with no insignia, deployed in the Crimea, are definitely NOT Russian.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

I think what us happening today is quite a sea-change and an extremely worrying one. The Russians are not messing about here, this is v serious.

I think the Russian number plates on the military vehicles might just be a slight giveaway.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

From the Beeb:
    “A man called Vladimir told Reuters news agency he was a volunteer helping the group there, though he said he did not know where they came from.

“I’m with the People’s Militia of Crimea. We’re simple people, volunteers,” he said”.

Apparently he also wants to be known as Loretta and have babies.

Premier Icon El Vino
    Subscriber

you mean like scotland and england?

or north and south korea?

Not at all like North & South Korea which are ethnically identical,
    Separation does seem to make perfect sense a la Czechoslovakia given the other option is likely to be more Yugoslavia.

ninfan

Some fascinating maps from the Telegraph the other day:

I think that its inevitable that the Crimea is going to secede from the Ukraine and ask for Russian protection of their autonomy, given the regions vital strategic importance (Sevastopol), Russia will undoubtedly give it.

Given how Saakashvili got spanked in Georgia, I can’t see anyone standing in their way either – lesson one, don’t kick a sleeping Bear! 😆

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

I was reading this morning that the last census in Crimea was 2001 and that since then a lot of ethinc Tartars have moved back into the region so the make up is a lot more mixed than the russians, in particular, are making out.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Quite a punchy news conference covered on bbc news now.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

There are significant ethnic Russian populations in other ex-USSR countries – for example, nearly 30% of Latvia’s population. If they can make it work, then why not Ukraine?

Of course the Russians are only there because of Soviet occupation, but there’s nothing to be done about that now.

Mr Woppit

Nobody breathe…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘"Ukraine's interim president warns of dangerous signs of separatism"’ is closed to new replies.