Ukraine Crimea Crisis

Home Forum Chat Forum Ukraine Crimea Crisis

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 223 total)
  • Ukraine Crimea Crisis
  • Mr Woppit

That would be this guy.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

The Russians are getting carried away now;

rossi46

“David Camoron says it cannot be business as usual”.
    Blimey I bet the Russians are cacking themselves!
    What’s he going to do? Impose a bedroom tax on the Kremlin? ๐Ÿ˜†

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Dave’s just popped up on the news to say there will be further consequences for Russia. Further? Further to what?
    The Americans have said they will ‘ stand firm’ on potentially bringing in visa restrictions

Yep. The crocodile wrestler must be quaking in his boots! The ‘facts on the ground’ in Crimea already look pretty permanent to me. It’s almost as if it had been planned all along?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Self determination, the good:
    Falklands
    Gibraltar
    Georgia
    Scotland
    Kosovo
    Chechnya

Self determination, the bad:
    Euskadi
    Catalonia
    Crimea

Im sure someone smarter than me will tell me why, democratically at least, a Crimean referendum on state affiliation is such a terrible thing.

Junkyard

someone smarter than me

You wont listen to me on economics or politics so I shall not waste my breath this time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Basically its because they are the baddies.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Being wrong on economics and politics doesnt make you any less smart than me, junky. Just mistaken ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Now now boys. Play nice. ๐Ÿ˜€

ernie_lynch

You forgot the Chagos Islands Stoner.

But please don’t tell me that you’ve only just discovered that the UK’s/US’s/EU’s commitment to democracy is only for as long as it serves their purpose ?

I had you down as a little smarter than that ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

The bastards have poo-poohed our plans for the self-determination of Malvernia as well. I was a shoe-in for Minister for Finance and Woodfuel. Damn that US military-industrial complex!

ernie_lynch

Armed insurrection is the only solution.

noteeth

Damn that US military-industrial complex!

They’re after your oil & gas fields, comrade.

Malvernia.

oldboy

What crisis? My Ukrainian oil shares are as hopeless now as they were before all this started. ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

They’re after your oil & gas fields, comrade.

I taught wee ‘Eck all his best work ๐Ÿ˜‰

noteeth

I taught wee ‘Eck all his best work

THM, we have a live one – scramble your rapid-thread-response unit.

derekfish

Other than that dodgy treaty thing they signed to get the nukes, I don’t really see what it’s got to do with the EU or the bloody US, Crimea was Russian anyway until Kruschev gave it away in 1954 and lots of them didn’t much like that.
    What if we’d given Scotland away to Southern Ireland, they then wanted to come back, but the US and Eu started up, what would we think, other than we’d probably have to wall them up…erm come to think of it isn’t that’s what’s going to happen anyway?

oldboy

This week’s Private Eye says it all – essential reading, I think – unless you take the puffed up, posturing of the Western leaders seriously, that is!

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

derekfish – Member
    …What if we’d given Scotland away to Southern Ireland, they then wanted to come back, but the US and Eu started up, what would we think, other than we’d probably have to wall them up…erm come to think of it isn’t that’s what’s going to happen anyway?

No, no, you’ve got it wrong.

Shift Hadrian’s wall further south to stop the barbarians coming north, and give Scotland the north of England.

Then you’ll get open access like we have in Scotland. Think of all that lovely riding in the Lake District and Yorkshire and the posh nobs won’t be able to do a thing about you going wherever you want. You’ll never need to go to a trail park again (unless you want to).

We could call our new country The United Kingdom of Northern Britain. ๐Ÿ™‚

The killer bonus is once we meld our various cuisines, we’ll be able to enjoy deep fried butties after a ride.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Stoner – Member

Im sure someone smarter than me will tell me why, democratically at least, a Crimean referendum on state affiliation is such a terrible thing.

The Russian ethnic majority in the Crimea was created when Stalin deported huge numbers of the population. So saying self-determination for the Crimea today is good, can be seen as essentially endorsing ethnic cleansing. So, it is basically a total ****ing mess.

ernie_lynch

I won’t recognise the independence of Pakistan as to do so would endorse British ethic cleansing of India.

And don’t get me started on Palestine.

piemonster

Shift Hadrian’s wall further south to stop the barbarians coming north, and give Scotland the north of England.

That sort of talk has caused trouble before. I blame Malcolm.

piemonster

The Russian ethnic majority in the Crimea was created when Stalin deported huge numbers of the population. So saying self-determination for the Crimea today is good, can be seen as essentially endorsing ethnic cleansing. So, it is basically a total ****ing mess.

Maybe, but not letting go of things that have happened in the past is a major source of current and future problems.

derekfish

epicyclo – Member
    derekfish – Member
    …What if we’d given Scotland away to Southern Ireland, they then wanted to come back, but the US and Eu started up, what would we think, other than we’d probably have to wall them up…erm come to think of it isn’t that’s what’s going to happen anyway?
    No, no, you’ve got it wrong.

Then you’ll get open access like we have in Scotland. Think of all that lovely riding in the Lake District and Yorkshire and the posh nobs won’t be able to do a thing about you going wherever you want. You’ll never need to go to a trail park again (unless you want to).

We could call our new country The United Kingdom of Northern Britain.

The killer bonus is once we meld our various cuisines, we’ll be able to enjoy deep fried butties after a ride.
    Hmm if it was up to me that wall would be erected North of the Thames and we’d chuck in all those city boys and anybody else who speaks funny, I wonder if Putin would consider taking Kent into the Russian Federation, well come to think of it the southern bit, I don’t expect it be interested in the inbreds North of the Medway.

Ro5ey

As much as you guys aren’t going to like this….

“David Cameron says it cannot be business as usual”.

He’s right

Private investment into Russia just got sent back years…. and it’s something they desperately need.

Has Putin really “won” ?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

piemonster – Member

Maybe, but not letting go of things that have happened in the past is a major source of current and future problems.

Absolutely. And that’s why it’s a total ****ing mess, it always is when you’re looking at least-bad answers instead of desirable ones.

Junkyard

You mean like say the falklands isles, Northern Ireland [ that was literally a plantation] or Gibraltar…that sort of thing?

I think for it to be classed as ethnic cleansing they would need to eradicate all the other ethnic races rather than just outnumber them in a vote. They have done what we do in many of our overseas territories.

Of course I do not think it is correct but we can look at home for this as well. I imagine it is many of the same folk who are annoyed at Russia who would fit to the death to keep ours.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Junkyard – lazarus

You mean like say the falklands isles, Northern Ireland [ that was literally a plantation] or Gibraltar…that sort of thing?

Yup. But there are people still alive today who remember being kicked out of the Crimea, and people still alive who were moved in to replace them, which makes it a bit harder to say “Ah well it’s all in the past”. At what point do you recognise a difference between Gibraltar, or the Crimea, or an Israeli settlement built yesterday?

The answer is probably just when it’s politically expedient to do so. Not convinced that’s a worse answer than any other personally, you’ve got to decide somehow.

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Like being past a certain age, politicians really do need to learn how (if at all IMO) and when to use social media. Pictures of CMD and Obama on the phone looking earnest with sleeves rolled up look frankly ridiculous. We know you are working on it, but don’t need the staged photos.

Not surprised that they get mocked.

I think for it to be classed as ethnic cleansing they would need to eradicate all the other ethnic races

And thats exactly what Stalin attempted to do in certain areas of the Ukraine, according to some (Ukranian) historians. And there are still people alive who remember it.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Like being past a certain age, politicians really do need to learn how (if at all IMO) and when to use social media.

Or they could get some media coaching, and learn from the master. Smile for the cameraโ€ฆ..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBXj5l6ShpA[/video]

๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Ro5ey – Member
    …Private investment into Russia just got sent back years…. and it’s something they desperately need…

They’ll just sell off a few football teams and everything will be rosy again…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

They could make a tidy profit on the half of London they own.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

They could make a tidy profit on the half of London they own.

Not sure anyone else could afford to buy it…..

taylorj

What is Russia doing? No, just no.

ninfan

Ah, the voice of reason at last:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDFDH5HjU8[/video]

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

so how did yanukovich smuggle biullions from ukraine…

– via a kitchen fitters in cardiff

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/sections.php?section_link=news&issue=1361

derekfish

ninfan – Member
    Ah, the voice of reason at last:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpDFDH5HjU8

And like it or not, he’s spot on.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 223 total)

The topic ‘Ukraine Crimea Crisis’ is closed to new replies.