• This topic has 19,028 replies, 528 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 18,121 through 18,160 (of 19,029 total)
  • Ukraine
  • DT78
    Free Member

Boffins have to be working on something similar to those cope cages from ww2.  Maybe a ring of anti drone drones, small and carrying a big net.  Thing is, it’ll only stop the first couple of enemy drones.  The answer has to be something that will knock out their comms / guidance so the pilots cant see or loose control.   Is EMP a real thing or just something out of matrix?

avdave2

Is EMP a real thing or just something out of matrix?

Well when I was at  Foulness there was an EMP generator at Aldermaston for testing kit. We did all the blast and thermal tests but they did that

Poopscoop

You want to test how a plane responds to an EMP blast from a nuke for instance? You need need to build this:

Screenshot_20240305-190335

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATLAS-I

Klunk
    Free Member

Kallas doesn’t

Maybe, but one thing does they do have is a very competent force of trained, motivated and experienced operators. Especially in unconventional warfighting that are highly likely contributing to the training of UKR troops and as a wider network of parties learning about RU capabilities for their own defensive aims and contributing and/or facilitating the development of UKR as a highly competent force.

A mutually agreeable set of terms of I imagine. The joy of a coalition of support is everybody pitches in and brings something to the table.

Your reductive mindset doesn’t add value.

DrJ

Practically speaking, but that isn’t for want of trying:

Estonia is the highest donor by %, at 3.6% bilateral aid + 0.5% EU aid

If only percentages could be put into an artillery piece and fired at someone

Maybe, but one thing does they do have is a very competent force of trained, motivated and experienced operators. Especially in unconventional warfighting that are highly likely contributing to the training of UKR troops and as a wider network of parties learning about RU capabilities for their own defensive aims and contributing and/or facilitating the development of UKR as a highly competent force.

I suspect the Ukrainians would rather just have a load of missiles.

I suspect the Ukrainians would rather just have a load of missiles.

I suspect, from a position of understanding, they’d want both.

hatter

That’s why the US log jam is proving so painful, the EU funding is vital long term but the great thing about the US aid is that they have these enormous reserves  in storage all round the world and the air lift capacity to move them so if congress approves a bill promising 100,000 more artillery shells for Ukraine they can be there next week.

There’s tons of stuff in the pipline for Ukraine,(hence why 2025 onwards should be a much more optimistic period for them) but they could really use some of that kit NOW.

kimbers

on the subject of drones…

on the subject of drones…

This is not surprising. That in and of itself is disappointing. *sigh

ossify

I often find myself thinking that at work.

dantsw13

Wrt the capabilities of the Russian ship radars…… One thing we’ve learnt since the end of the Cold War is the massive gap between Russian claimed capabilities and reality. Add in the fact their exercises are all basically military theatre, with every move known and choreographed, the outcome of recent naval and aviation encounters is not a surprise.

thols2

One thing we’ve learnt since the end of the Cold War is the massive gap between Russian claimed capabilities and reality.

And also that Ukraine seems to be much more effective at using Russian gear than Russia is.

kimbers

did someone say escalation?

DT78
    Free Member

tbh I’m surprised they aren’t pulling out all the stops to assassinate zelensky, or is there some rule in war that the leader is not allowed to be targeted?

ossify

Going on about how close it was to the Greek group… what about Zelensky? How close was it to him?

150-200 metres is quite far assuming it was a (somewhat) precise drone attack rather than something like artillery.  The Greeks were probably quite safe practically speaking although yes it’s a bit risky (and must’ve been scary!). Just wondered how close they got to the actual target.

hatter

I’m sure being 150 metres from, a Russian missile strike felt neither ‘safe’ nor ‘far’ for those involved.

So far it looks like it was just ‘Russians lobbing missles in the usual fashion’ rather than a decapitation strike but man, if it had hit the Greek PM’s party…..

Sui
    Free Member

It wouldn’t have triggered anything from NATO or the EU as we’re collectively spineless unts (c), individually quite good though.  Would have been lots of “strong words”, but that’s it.

scaredypants

Would have been lots of “strong words”, but that’s it.

I think you misunderestimate the tsunami of thoughts & prayers that would also erupt

mrchrispy

and sanctions, dont forget the sanctions against Ivan….the bloke in Crimea that happens to own 4 rental apartments and a merc.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yes, you’re right, nothing short of a pre-emptive first strike would be appropriate.

jamiemcf

Amazing how this thread has been largely informative then three posts appear dragging the thread down.

scaredypants

Well, I can only speak for myself and I’m pretty bloody frustrated at the collective EU/US response to the invasion(s), thousands of deaths, and Ukraine’s repeated pleas for help. Sadly, I don’t have the ear of any of the decision-makers involved so I’m reduced to simply being cross about it.

swanny853

You can, but only out of 100mm so not a large enough calibre to be useful

timba
    Free Member

I’m sure being 150 metres from, a Russian missile strike felt neither ‘safe’ nor ‘far’ for those involved.

Depending on how the blast was obstructed and the type/weight of warhead used, etc, lethal fragments could have travelled a few hundred metres. Blast waves can reach further still to cause injuries

Russia attacked Ukrainian cities a couple of times in 2022 when “western” leaders visited but I’m not sure that they’re specifically targetted.

Five fatalities from today’s attack, sadly, who would otherwise have been ignored by most international media. I’m still working out my feelings on the perceived hierarchy of victims

rickmeister

Personally I think that a lot of instability around teh globe will only calm down when Putin dies. And frankly, the sooner the better and ideally if it can be arranged, before November.

I really wish I could understand some of the EU leaders thinking re “escalation” when clearly Putin will keep rolling and pushing, pushing , pushing…spinning the whole debacle out to November and the cluster **** that probably will unfold in the US.Yesterday, Twitter was suggesting Elon may be supporting Trump’s 350m fines as his plane was tracked to Mar-a- Largo plus all the whataboutery that goes with that.

Where are the planes? Taurus to drop the Kerch bridge, the million shells…. the collective, unified and unambiguously determined gloves off support from NATO…

blokeuptheroad

Personally I think that a lot of instability around teh globe will only calm down when Putin dies

I try to never celebrate anyone’s death but I’m going to make an exception if I live to see Putin’s. And Trump’s.

matt_outandabout

Is there still not a concern over who replaces Pootin and that they may be even madder?

hatter

Putin has spent the last 15 years systematically purging  anyone that may challenge his supreme rule.

As a result the Russian system has been largely cleansed of anyone with the right mixture of competence and ambition to succeed him.

Such systems don’t tend to handle succession well. We may get someone even madder and badder but will they have the requisite backroom political skill to keep all the varying factions and kleptocrats in line.

matt_outandabout

Fair point. And I suspect that many of the ex Soviet states would spend the time off any Pootin funeral to work out how they would capitalise on the situation.

timba
    Free Member

Jamie Raskin (Dem) and Robert Garcia (Dem) of the US Congress Committee on National Security, the Border, and Foreign Affairs (a sub-Committee of Oversight and Accountability) are pressing Elon Musk’s “SpaceX over Russia’s reported use of Starlink in Ukraine, saying that recent developments raise questions about SpaceX’s “compliance with US sanctions and export controls.””  https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/03/spacex-pressed-by-lawmakers-over-russias-use-of-starlink-in-ukraine/

Finland has found a French businessman guilty of breaching sanctions on exports to Russia. “Of the 31 cases, the prosecutor dropped 4 while the court found Temin guilty of 2 and dismissed 25, including the drone case for lack of evidence.
    In the two cases in which Temin was found guilty, the court said he falsified the destination of sanctioned German tools by reporting they were headed to Kazakhstan instead of St. Petersburg in Russia, where Siberica’s own documents showed they eventually ended up.” https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/finnish-court-rules-french-businessman-guilty-breaching-russia-sanctions-2024-03-07/

Germany has extended its trusteeship of Russia’s Rosneft facilities in Germany. This prevents Rosneft selling its share to another company; Shell and Eni are current co-owners with Rosneft
    https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/germany-extends-rosneft-trusteeship-russian-oil-giant-seeks-buyer-sources-2024-03-07/

gobuchul
    Free Member

There are loads of clips of drone footage on Twitter.

What I don’t understand is why there are so many isolated Russian soldiers?

There is 1 clip that shows 2 Russian infantrymen assault a Ukrainian position.

Surely you would need a few more than that?

There’s also a clip, I wished I hadn’t watched, of a lone soldier slowly dying after a drone attack. Today he was identified as a Company Commander in Spetsnaz. WTF would he be by himself in the frontlines?

doomanic

I also saw that video yesterday. Pretty grim.

singletrackmind

Because the mental Russian army have regressed back to ww1 mentality. Hoping the Ukrainian army runs out of bullets before Russia runs out of men.
    And they use sacrificial units to reveal the embedded Ukrainian positions which they then hit with artillery
    Ditto sending in IFVs against javelin missiles and fpv drones.
    The front lines are so long with attack and counter attack occurring daily in dozens of locations that the supply and distribution of AT weapons must be a constant juggling act to ensure they have enough in place.
    I think the Russians are willing to sacrifice hardware and men just to gain control of a village that their own artillery has obliterated to drive out the Ukrainian army. The losses are increasing as they get more impatient and are probably hoping for enough gains to force either a substantial breakthrough or negotiated cease fire agreement but I can’t see Zalensky going for that tbh

matt_outandabout

Seems that Ukraine have gone after all the grounded A50’s and plane repair facilities with multiple drones of a new kind which fly low and fast, and over an hour into Russian territory…

hatter

In other interesting news, Peytr Pavel of Czechia says he’s secured the funding to purchase the first delivery of those 800,000 artillery shells his team have found.

First delivery will be approx 300,000 and should be in Ukraine ‘within weeks’

A lot still needs to happen but on the surface of it that’s great news.

alpin
    Free Member

Seems that Ukraine have gone after all the grounded A50’s and plane repair facilities with multiple drones of a new kind which fly low and fast, and over an hour into Russian territory…

Saw some posts about that this morning, but they were unconfirmed so didn’t want to get too excited.

That’s a hell of a blow to both the facilities and Russia’s morale.

mattyfez

The russians seem a bit ‘put-out’ over Sweden formaly joining NATO, lol!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-ukraine-war-putin-nato-troops-latest-b2509189.html

The irony being they were not really interested in NATO before the full scale invasion of Ukraine.

Caher

I get the feeling that Putin is itching for a confrontation with NATO. If it’s conventional he looses, if nuclear we all lose.

andrewh
    Free Member

In other interesting news, Peytr Pavel of Czechia says he’s secured the funding to purchase the first delivery of those 800,000 artillery shells his team have found.

First delivery will be approx 300,000 and should be in Ukraine ‘within weeks

Is that a lot in a modern war? I was listening to a podcast earlier today, the Germans fired 100,000 an hour, from just over 1,200 artillery pieces, over a 9hr period before the attack at the start of the battle of Verdun.

(is that true? Could the guns back then fire a shell every forty seconds for nine hours?) Almost certainly not the big railway guns but it sounds plausible for mortars maybe?

800,000 suddenly doesn’t sound that many

Viewing 40 posts - 18,121 through 18,160 (of 19,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.