• This topic has 18,915 replies, 528 voices, and was last updated 3 hours ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 18,001 through 18,040 (of 18,916 total)
  • Ukraine
  • Poopscoop

^^ It’s a ****** mafia state isn’t it?

The USA is a nation established by religious fundamentalists and extremists.

So their current position on the world stage tracks; when under stress people revert to type and the true nature of their values and beliefs.

molgrips
    Free Member

The USA is a nation established by religious fundamentalists and extremists.

Only partly.  It was religious extremists, zealots, libertarians, arch-capitalists, spivs and rapacious conquerors.  So.. yeah.

thols2

This is just sad.

Keva
    Free Member

should’ve done some research I guess.

A bit weird anyhow ’cause mostly it’s, or was, Russians moving to Canada for some strange reason.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sad but hopefully the right people see it and perhaps engage their brains.

scuttler

Nah he’s definitely a libtard shill / extreme crisis actor. Duh 🙄

hatter

Those poor kids.

Culture wars rot brains.

thols2

This makes it 7 this week.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ukraine only has two Patriot systems. Imagine what they could do with 10 🤷‍♂️

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Russia is taking more risks with its airforce, and paying the price.

kimbers

is this related to the loss of radar sights and awacs planes

Also the patriots seem to be very different beasts to the anti-missile systems they once were!

timba
    Free Member

Russia is taking more risks with its airforce, and paying the price.

Russia is taking more risks all round, they’ve already announced that they’ve taken Krynky which is at odds with ISW’s assessment. Election next month, innit.
    Russia seems to be reducing its advance now although it has personnel and materiel advantages; Ukraine is making them pay a heavy price.
    timba
    Free Member

This has appeared in the Observer. It begins with Alexei Navalny’s murder, moves to the supply of ammunition from the US and Europe, sanctions, etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/17/observer-view-on-alexei-navalny-murder-putin-cant-kill-with-impunity

Yulia Navalnaya has asked the EU to not recognise the forthcoming election result in Russia

Three of the biggest Chinese banks have bowed to increased US and EU sanction pressure that started in January. India had already started to comply. Ukraine needs a boost in materiel to keep the pressure on

dissonance

Also the patriots seem to be very different beasts to the anti-missile systems they once were!

They started as anti aircraft but got upgraded to anti missile as well.
    I think the reason they are thought of as anti missile first is they came to prominence during the first Gulf war where the Iraqi airforce was quickly destroyed and hence they were only needed in the anti scud role.

thols2

Suicide eh?

hatter

Navalny’s murder certainly seems to have reminded everyone just what’s at stake and sharpened efforts to accelerate aid to Ukraine.

kimbers
      <li style=”text-align: left;”>youd hope the GOP would get that message
    slowoldman

I think some of the GOP would wish Trump could similarly eliminate his opponents.

hatter

Sadly I think quite a few of the MAGA crowd are rather in favour of boots stamping on faces because they think they’ll be the ones wearing the boot.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The question is, how on earth are Russians getting hold of Starlink and using it on the front line?

hatter

Same reason that Navalny’s widow’s Twitter account was taken offline after his death and people were prevented from even searching for it.

Elon’s being Elon.

tthew

The question is, how on earth are Russians getting hold of Starlink and using it on the front line?

Elon’s being Elon

Is there a credible news report about this? Sounds like something I should be writing to my MP about to suggest sanctions should be implemented against Starlink and him personally.

timba
    Free Member

Is there a credible news report about this?

It’s believed to be a third-party acquisition, which Starlink can’t identify.

What they haven’t said is whether they can identify the perp from the hardware MAC codes (or whatever, I don’t do tech) and the location/satellite accessed

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I thought at some point, Starlink were accused of throttling the speed of the Ukrainian Starlink services, if they can do that, then…….. 🤷‍♂️

verses

Same reason that Navalny’s widow’s Twitter account was taken offline after his death and people were prevented from even searching for it.

Elon’s being Elon.

Should we expect Cybertrucks on the frontline next? And a massive tunnel running under the border?

tthew

It’s believed to be a third-party acquisition, which Starlink can’t identify.

Ah, ok, so not Elon being Elon, but hackers being hacky.  I’m no fan of Mr Musk, reckon he’s a good candidate for being a true bond villan in some version of the future,  but benefit of the doubt this time.

I’m sure he’ll be mighty relieved.  😁

Murray

How is Starlink meant to tell the difference between a Ukrainian base station near the front line and a Russian one? Are they meant to have fine grained location info (in an area with GPS jamming) and an up to date map of the front line?

Stopping Russians getting technology of all sorts is the way to sort this. Chinese and UAE banks closing Russian accounts is part of this but there needs to be renewed effort to stop the intermediaries involved. This isn’t a new problem, the USSR had a massive program during the cold war to acquire western technology.

Fueled
    Free Member

And a massive tunnel running under the border?

Speaking of tunnels, I gather that tunnels dug under enemy trenches and filled with explosive were a big thing back in WW1. Is there a reason we haven’t seen that in Ukraine? Is no man’s land too wide in the modern version of trench warfare? Nobody expecting positions to remain as static as they have turned out and so it was assumed not worth the effort? Are there no good digging machines? (I’m guessing that Ukraine has better uses for soldiers than tunnelling)

timba
    Free Member

How is Starlink meant to tell the difference between a Ukrainian base station near the front line and a Russian one

For a non-tech person I assume that they can compare a list of MAC codes, IMEI numbers, whatever, for equipment supplied; 123456789012345 was supplied to a Mr al-Assad in Syria and active in Ukraine, hmmm

If that isn’t the case then please educate me cos I dunno

timba
    Free Member

Is there a reason we haven’t seen that in Ukraine?

A few main reasons:

There’s a world-wide shortage of some explosives

Digging silently is slow and it attracts enemy action if detected, which made the WW1 tunnellers an unpopular addition to the frontline. Anyone with a stick can hear movement underground

When the frontline moves forward you can’t keep up

thols2

I gather that tunnels dug under enemy trenches and filled with explosive were a big thing back in WW1.

That’s why they are called “mines”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Crater

faustus

Not much point using all the manpower and effort for a limited one-off strike, when they can just do what they do now and use drones as disposable weapons delivery systems. Relatively cheap, quick, accurate. Drones have also become effective anti-tank weapons.

Saw a video the other day of a drone finishing off an abandoned Russian tank, and it neatly dropped a charge through the open hatch and the ammo went up. Better than exposing personnel to get closer with a more expensive anti-tank weapon.

DT78
    Free Member

Just catching up, 7 more planes?! Surely Russia has got to start running out of them soon. Or is it like the missles, everyone keeps saying they will run out, but somehow they dont appear to be.

dantsw13

In WW1 trenches were often 1-200yds apart. Generally in Ukraine there is 1-2km Grey Zone between front lines.

Murray

“For a non-tech person I assume that they can compare a list of MAC codes, IMEI numbers, whatever, for equipment supplied; 123456789012345 was supplied to a Mr al-Assad in Syria and active in Ukraine, hmmm”

Agreed, but it was probably sold to a random person in a non-sanctioned country using money provided by an intermediary. They hand it over to the intermediary to get their $50, the intermediary puts it in a container filled with “machine parts”, puts it on a ship to another country where it’s then forwarded on to Russia, perhaps via Iran. All Starlink knows is that Mr Nobody in an unremarkable country bought a Starlink with full roaming licence. Finding Mr Nobody might not be too hard (provided the country where he lives co-operates and that he’s not using a stolen identity) but there are loads of people like Mr Nobody to take his place for $50. You need to go up the chain of intermediaries and break it near the top as you can. This isn’t easy otherwise drug smuggling and money laundering wouldn’t be a problem.

kimbers

make that 8 planes…
    and not just any old one

blokeuptheroad

Incredible that admitting to the incompetence of repeatedly losing A-50s to friendly fire, is less embarrassing than losing them to Ukrainian action!

Klunk
    Free Member

love the background rave music 🙂 country at war but hell we’ll still party ! 🙂

Northwind

<deleted post>

Viewing 40 posts - 18,001 through 18,040 (of 18,916 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM