• This topic has 18,773 replies, 528 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by hatter.
Viewing 40 posts - 13,521 through 13,560 (of 18,774 total)
  • Ukraine
  • shinton
    Free Member

Further down the parody tweet it shows CNN Portugal broadcasting it as real news

timba
    Free Member

Yes, the Turkey question is a difficult one

They’ve been key in alleviating the grain crisis and no doubt other less well-known interventions.
    They’re being courted by both Russia and the west and there’s no doubt that they’ve been tremendously valuable to Ukraine in this war.
    Russia has seen an opportunity to chip away at their relationship with the west by offering direct flights to Northern Cyprus, originally timed to the anniversary of the declaration of independence by the north earlier this month.
    Turkiye bought Russia’s S400 missile system, because the US refused to sell them a system in 2017, and announced a couple of days ago that it was ready for action.
    Maybe having seen Russian tech performance they can get a refund, or send them to Ukraine and get a NATO-compatible system from the US in the light of their contributions

timba
    Free Member

Turkiye bought Russia’s S400 missile system, because the US refused to sell them a system in 2017

My error, correction, “because the US refused to transfer sensitive technology with the Patriot system”

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Turkey has also blocked access through the Bosporous. Supplied Byraktors.

CountZero

At 50:02 – “in all of Putin’s public statements during the months leading up to the war, there is not a scintilla of evidence that he was contemplating conquering Ukraine and making it part of Russia”.

No, because he was actually considering Japan as a target, justifying it through the simmering issue of a chain of islands that the both claim, neither has signed a peace agreement ending WW2 aggression, and Japan not fully de-militarised itself. Russia was going to use the Nazi excuse, based on Japanese behaviour during WW2.

I’ll see if I can find the article I read earlier. Yeah, here:

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-planned-attack-japan-2021-fsb-letters-1762133?utm_source=Flipboard&utm_medium=App&utm_campaign=Partnerships

CountZero

if they cannot even respect or at least give a slight **** about them, they must treat the Ukraine population with absolute hatred.

Of course they do, the Russian government doesn’t consider Ukrainians as human, so justifying their behaviour against the civilian population.

funkrodent

Does anyone know if Solovyov is considered a serious journalist in Russia or is he just a shock jock?

Schlock jock?

timba
    Free Member

No, because he was actually considering Japan as a target, justifying it through the simmering issue of a chain of islands that the both claim…

In the spring of 2021 there was a build up of Russian troops on the Crimea and Russian border with Ukraine which caused concerns of an invasion https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-crisis-usa-idUSKBN2BV2Z3
    A few months later numbers fell, but began to rise again in October and by November Russia was vigorously denying that an invasion of Ukraine was planned https://www.factcheck.org/2022/02/russian-rhetoric-ahead-of-attack-against-ukraine-deny-deflect-mislead/
    The fall in numbers in the summer on the Ukrainian border works with plans for conflict with Japan, but…
    Either way, Russia issued denials but there was evidence in the form of military movements that something serious was afoot for Ukraine for almost a year before the invasion

CountZero

Either way, Russia issued denials

Yeah, it’s their default response, but everyone knows they’re lying, their lips are moving.

Poopscoop

I’d not even heard a rumour about Russia contemplating a limited conflict with Japan.

In normal times it would sound like madness but in light of recent events, pretty plausible.

thols2

No, because he was actually considering Japan as a target, justifying it through the simmering issue of a chain of islands that the both claim, neither has signed a peace agreement ending WW2 aggression, and Japan not fully de-militarised itself. Russia was going to use the Nazi excuse, based on Japanese behaviour during WW2.

Japan has a fairly powerful military and a defense treaty with the U.S. Attacking Japan would be just as suicidal as attacking a NATO country. Russia did not have plans to attack Japan, they started preparations to invade Ukraine pretty much as soon as Biden was inaugurated. It took a year to ship all the equipment from the east to the west.

timba
    Free Member

President Putin continues to have problems at home and his authority through the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) has been challenged by PM Nikol Pashinyan of Armenia.
    PM Pashinyan wouldn’t sign a draft declaration at the CSTO summit because Armenia has been in conflict with Azerbaijan and has been losing territory while Russia isn’t acting.
    Azerbaijan isn’t a CSTO member but does have a military co-operation agreement with Turkey

piemonster

Whats the point of the CSTO if no one comes to your aid…

Well, beyond keeping Russia onside for not invading you.

Speaking of which https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/09/16/kazakhstan-russia-ukraine-war/

Opinion Piece of Kazakhstan trying to edge away from Moscow, be interested to see if anyone has any other sources on this.

andy4d

ignore

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Hungary will ratify Sweden and Finland joining NATO

rickmeister

Hungary will ratify Sweden and Finland joining NATO

deferred to 2023 I think…

kimbers

See several weird & grim videos of Ukranian drones dropping grenades on Russian troops curled up in shallow dugouts, the russians appear to be barely conscious; hypothermia, drunk ? and hardly react at all when the grenade drops on them

It appears that conscripts are being just left to sleep in the open with no bedding, let alone proper bunkers or even tents

theotherjonv

I didn’t watch the video, but the header of the one in my newsfeed said wounded.

dantsw13

Most of those vids are Bakhmut, where prisoner conscripts are just sent out as utter cannon fodder. They all then just try to hide in holes/ditches. What a waste of life for one mans ego.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Ukraine has been using drones to drop bombs on trenches since the start of the war, with video footage – how are these different?

blokeuptheroad

There’s a Twitter thread about it I won’t link to, as it contains the video. It says they are conscripts who’ve spent night after night out in these shallow trenches, huddled together for warmth because they are wet through and freezing without proper kit.  Some or all of them are probably in the advanced stages of hypothermia. Hence their sluggish or non existent reactions. It further speculates (credibly IMO) that they can’t leave their positions because they’ll be shot by their own side. Utterly, utterly grim.  I understand why the Ukrainians are attacking them, but the poor sods on the recieving end are victims of Putin too. Awful 😟

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Grim 😖

PJM1974
    Free Member

Indeed it is extremely grim. Everyone suffering in this war are doing so because of the whims of an ageing, corrupt dictator.

alpin
    Free Member

r/dronedorc on reddit

Plenty of vids where the Russians get bombed.

blokeuptheroad

r/dronedorc on reddit

Plenty of vids where the Russians get bombed.

I’ll pass on that. I did open a couple that appeared in my Twitter feed early on in the war. I don’t deliberately open them any more, unless there’s evidence it’s going to show a new tactic or piece of kit with strategic significance.

I’m not going to learn anything new, from watching yet another DJI drone drop a grenade or mortar bomb on an occupied fire trench. Plus, I don’t want to become desensitised to what’s actually happening. These are effectively snuff movies.

Stumbling across the odd clip in general war coverage is one thing, going looking for them is something else IMO.

piemonster

To shell Russian positions at Snake Island, for instance, the Ukrainians put Caesars, with a 40-kilometer range, on barges and towed them out 10 kilometers to hit the island, which was 50 kilometers away, astonishing the French.

You wot mate (supposedly bllx)

Link in image, NYT article focused on supply challenges

timba
    Free Member

Hmmm. I read that it was the Ukrainian-developed Bohdana howitzer, which have 50km range
    Maybe Bohdana is Ukrainian for barge 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

To shell Russian positions at Snake Island, for instance, the Ukrainians put Caesars, with a 40-kilometer range, on barges and towed them out 10 kilometers to hit the island, which was 50 kilometers away, astonishing the French..

Which was nice

timba
    Free Member

There’s a video in this article https://myukraineis.org/news/the_ukrainian_armed_forces_showed_how_the_bohdana_self_propelled_gun_fired_at_the_russian_occupiers_on_snake_island-692.html
    The CAESAR is similar (CA is camion abbreviated). The only barge I’d want that firing from would be shaded by a large oak tree

timba
    Free Member

Article from Reuters about Georgia’s concerns and Russia’s actions on the border that could also afflict Ukrainians during a future “peace”.
    Residents need to wear GPS trackers to discount Russian accusations and kidnappings. They fear that “Russia will seek to take more territory or formally annex the breakaway region, following Moscow’s moves to incorporate parts of eastern and southern Ukraine into the Russian federation.”
    https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/ukraine-crisis-georgia-border/

theotherjonv

I understand why the Ukrainians are attacking them, but the poor sods on the recieving end are victims of Putin too. Awful

I asked this question at the time that conscription was announced and it became clear that unequipped, untrained kids were just being rounded up and sent out to die. Of course the blame lies squarely with the guy that is ordering it, but is there any point where the UAF has to say ‘Nah, this is just fish in a barrel’. They’re killing conscripts that essentially carry no real threat to them any longer.

DrJ

They’re killing conscripts that essentially carry no real threat to them any longer.

Maybe the unpleasant truth is that they need to kill all the conscripts before the real soldiers will be forced to fight? This is a hideous war, but maybe I am naive and in fact this is what all wars are like.

wbo
    Free Member

They’re killing conscripts that essentially carry no real threat to them any longer at that point.

They might be retrained and sent back off. And for anything to happen in Russia to change the political mood, they need to feel pain in the population. Blame the bloke who started it

thols2

They’re killing conscripts that essentially carry no real threat to them any longer.

Most of the soldiers who’ve died in wars over the centuries have been conscripts. The Russian conscripts are soldiers in uniform in a combat zone. They are legitimate targets unless they have surrendered.

After that stunt the Russian soldier pulled last week, when he opened fire on Ukrainian soldiers trying to accept a Russian surrender, I doubt that the Ukrainians will be taking any chances about “essentially carry no real threat.” If they’re wearing a Russian uniform and aren’t waving a white flag, they are a target.

singletrackmind

Leaflets dropped by drones with essential phrases in Ukrainian.
    ” please don’t shoot”
    “I am surrendering”
    ” I am unarmed”

Or in English, as that appears to be the second language in the field as there are alot of Canadian, and other English speakers fighting unde ukr control

I have watched a few of those vids, my first thought was drugs or alcohol caused the lack of reaction to the bombs. Or they are so cold and hungry that being killed is actually a way out and their family might get a payout. But they are a tough watch

thols2

I have watched a few of those vids, my first thought was drugs or alcohol caused the lack of reaction to the bombs.

Hypothermia seems plausible, probably exaggerated by alcohol

dyna-ti

After that stunt the Russian soldier pulled last week, when he opened fire on Ukrainian soldiers trying to accept a Russian surrender,

I’ve yet to see any definitive proof of that and despite you claiming there was footage, the footage I posted showed nothing.

piemonster

The video I saw had Russian troops surrendering in an orderly fashion until one came out with a gun an opened fire.

There was shot of the Ukrainians, including some covering the surrender, and a number of Russians exiting a building and lying down in front of the Ukrainians. After a short while the guy in what appeared to be a black uniform exited cover holding what appeared to be a gun, then gunfire/barrel smoke (from the guy in the black uniform) and the camera man falls to the ground.

piemonster

If anyone wants a different take on proceedings there this

It Seems Russia Won’t Require a Winter Offensive to Win the War

Who also cites this website, which appears to have travelled in time from 2003

https://www.moonofalabama.org/

I know very little about both, but Roberts seems to be circulating on Telegram, so normally would end up posted anyway in the next couple of days.

dyna-ti

At least it is being investigated.

Just because the Ukrainians are fighting for the good doesn’t mean they are holier than holy. The Ukrainian’s opened fire, and even if it was to defend against this lone Russian, there was certainly no reason to kill the Russians lying unarmed and defenseless on the ground.

I think the problem is the missing segments from the original video.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,521 through 13,560 (of 18,774 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.