• This topic has 18,796 replies, 528 voices, and was last updated 9 hours ago by timba.
Viewing 40 posts - 12,281 through 12,320 (of 18,797 total)
  • Ukraine
  • shermer75
    Free Member

I worry for the mental health of the troops. Imagine being a Baker, lorry driver, teacher etc then suddenly you are seeing people dead or dieing on a daily basis, or bits of people blown apart by mines of shelling

I worry about this too. I work in healthcare in an area of London that has a Cypriot community, and I have patients with PTSD from the war there. That was 1974, nearly 50 years ago! Unfortunately the mental health legacy of this kind of conflict is horrible and very, very long lasting

funkrodent

Got to hand it to the Ukrainian social media bods. Apparently Kher means ‘male chicken’ or ‘fornicate you’. And the best watermelons in the world are apparently grown in Kherson. So the picture is saying to the Russians ‘F you soon in Kherson’

timba
    Free Member

I worry for the mental health of the troops. Imagine being a Baker, lorry driver, teacher etc then suddenly you are seeing people dead or dieing on a daily basis, or bits of people blown apart by mines of shelling

It doesn’t really matter what your previous occupation was, PTSD is a probability and wars (call them what you will) are terrible.
    We’ve moved on from the early days of WW1 when soldiers were shot for cowardice. By 1917 men were given a few days rest, but not diagnosed with “shell shock” because the term was banned. In 2006 men convicted of the various associated crimes during WW1, including cowardice and desertion, were pardoned.
    As recently as this century we’ve continued to learn about the effects of explosions that don’t cause an obvious injury to the brain, but do cause neurologic trauma at a molecular level

timba
    Free Member

A bit of an add-on to the post about the OPEC+ oil supply cuts ^^
    Sanctions, that don’t work according to some, had already forced Russian oil production to below the level required by OPEC+ to achieve the greatest reduction since 2020 and C19. The upside for Russia is that they will benefit from a price increase for no loss of output, but the European ban will still impact later this year so the rest of that post stands

timba
    Free Member

The blame game in Russia is publicly underway with Sergei Shoigu firmly in their sights. Shoigu has been President Putin’s ally and Minister of Defence for a decade, often holidaying together, so IMHO this is pretty close to treason.
    Kirill Stremousov, Russian deputy leader of Kherson region said yesterday, “Many people say that the Minister of Defense, who allowed this state of affairs to happen, could, as an officer, shoot himself, but, you know, the word ‘officer’ is an incomprehensible word for many.”
    He added, that Russia’s defense ministry consists of “ministers, mediocre and corrupt generals and marauders.”
    https://www.newsweek.com/kherson-counteroffensive-sergei-shoigu-kirill-stremousov-1749452

squirrelking
    Free Member

We’ve moved on from the early days of WW1 when soldiers were shot for cowardice.

I’m not sure they have, there was an article posted about a Wagner Group unit torturing deserters in Syria, with a bit of light digging I found the original published article that, following the guys hands and feet being smashed to bits with hammers had a jubilant photo of the unit holding his severed head aloft.

Frankly a bullet to the head would have been a kindness in comparison.

MoreCashThanDash

Pretty sure when the articles were reporting Wagner group recruiting from prisons, they were openly saying deserters would be killed.

Kryton57

Biden slips again, off camera comments to the point we are destined to Nuclear Armagaeddon very soon not understanding the paranoia and stirring of many a dictator with itchy trigger fingers and the mental health of billions.

It’ll be seen a sabre rattling to Putin with Biden purporting to lay waste to the world if Putin uses a tactical nuke -it’ll just push Putin to try it. Makes you think; stupid comment or global nuclear power with a equal measure of willingness to kill en-masse, I’m quickly going off the US.

DT78
    Free Member

Imagine what trump would have been saying.

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh god that would have been horrific

piemonster

Also, and with some timing

https://www.ibtimes.com/russia-claims-zelensky-instigating-nuclear-world-war-his-recent-speech-3621349?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

“I am once again turning to the international community as I did before 24 February. Preventative strikes, so that they know what will await them if they use [a nuclear weapon],” Zelensky said in the video

For a bit of a calmer viewpoint

muddy@rseguy

Always interesting reading Tass, especially when you consider that its for western consumption.

That article looks actually quite reasonable/sober right up to the bit about Zaphorizia nuclear power plant and moves to a subtext of “but if it wasn’t for those horrible Ukranians everything would be alright and its the West that is threatening us with Nuclear armageddon not us because we’re nice and just telling it like it is and because they can’t keep their nose out of our private business because that’s what they do and, and , and, and nobody likes us, ooh its just sooooo unfair…”

I might have overstretched that a bit but you get the general idea.

piemonster

Those sneaky Ukrainians and the 180 degree turning shells.

(I actually have no idea what sort of adjustments stuff like Excalibur can do? But I dont think they can turn 180)

MoreCashThanDash

To be honest, I’m not seeing Biden’s actual comments being an issue – seems to have just stated the obvious.

johndoh
    Free Member

He is Putin’s mate so on a much broader scale it would have been interesting to know what the USA’s response would have been to the invasion.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m quickly going off the US.

The US is thoroughly rotten and has been for most of its existence. Have you only just realised this?

FuzzyWuzzy

He is Putin’s mate so on a much broader scale it would have been interesting to know what the USA’s response would have been to the invasion

I’ve wondered that to, I think he would have limited US involvement early on much more, both sanctions and lethal aid and without the US’s support I wonder what the rest of NATO/West would have done. Yet another reason it’s a good job he wasn’t re-elected…

thols2

I’m quickly going off the US.

The US is thoroughly rotten and has been for most of its existence. Have you only just realised this?

The U.S. was pioneering in having a written constitution that stated very high ideals. No real country will ever be able to fully live up to such lofty principles, the real world is just too complex, but the U.S. has often failed far beyond that. The problem isn’t with the ideals, but that the U.S. is both hypocritical and also the most powerful nation on earth. Other countries behave much worse but aren’t global superpowers, so the U.S. is criticized when others are ignored. This irritates Americans and makes things even worse.

However, the U.S. does have a reasonably open system with journalists who are willing to expose wrongdoing. Vietnam was an utter catastrophe and American journalists documented that. The invasion of Iraq was another huge catastrophe, and that was also documented by American journalists. Part of the problem for Russia is that journalists have been intimidated and murdered and there is no honest reporting of Putin’s crimes. If Putin hadn’t silenced all his critics, they could have warned him that he was making a terrible mistake.

However, despite their frequent foreign policy disaster, the U.S. also does a lot of good work, so that should be reported honestly along with reporting on the disasters. In the case of Ukraine, the U.S. has done an exemplary job, and that should be commended. Hopefully, Iraq and Afghanistan have taught the U.S. the lesson that it should have learned from Vietnam and it won’t be stupid enough to try establishing liberal democracy at gunpoint. Hopefully too, Ukraine has taught the U.S. that supporting democracies fighting against fascists is good policy.

shermer75
    Free Member

Amazing!

stevedoc
    Free Member

The mindset of Putin was clear yesterday. Rockets strikes on residential buildings and shops in the centre of Zaporizhzhia were a warning by him. And rather than conventional tactical weapons there is a power plant which im sure he would like nothing more than to blame Ukr forces for hitting. I mean who would be going in there to check who struck the target? ? Thats the way he works cloak and dagger always.

kelvin

Amazing!

Well, that’s clear!

Yet another reason it’s a good job he wasn’t re-elected…

Not sure talk of “imagine if someone else was President/PM” is that useful. What people intended and stated as regards Russia before this year’s escalation of the Russian invasion in Ukraine has often been left behind. Johnson was a perfect example of this. He moved (or was moved) to a new position very quickly. I suspect any PM (and any President) would have been.

pictonroad

It hurts so much to see the leadership of other countries and compare it to the hanging bags of dogshit we have here. 😞

shermer75
    Free Member

It hurts so much to see the leadership of other countries and compare it to the hanging bags of dogshit we have here. 😞

We are in the diarrhoea straits for sure. It makes me wonder if the 1922 commission will quietly change the Tory party rules, so that their next leader will be chisen by the MPs instead of the party faithful. I could imagine it happening after Truss has lost the next election

piemonster

/\/\

Thread drift but..

Im being* optimistic that were also heading to the final nadir of that particular brand of populist incompetence. (All other events permitting)

Well, this time round.

*admittedly with a high chance of being delusional

piemonster

Theres another thread proper for this somewhere, bit its indicative of wider consequences occurring as a result of Russia war on Ukraine. And the resulting loss of influence in, what would often be thought of as their near abroad.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20221007-eu-to-send-civilian-mission-to-armenia-to-help-mark-borders-with-azerbaijan

At least they’re able to get the leaders round the same table. And agree to a 3rd party civilian mission to the border.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m being* optimistic that were also heading to the final nadir of that particular brand of populist incompetence. (All other events permitting)

I hope so! I can’t wait for everything to be safe and boring again. Looking at you, 90s! 🙂

piemonster

Oh jeez the 90s, my worries more or less literally amounted to, “can I afford another Groslch”

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh jeez the 90s, my worries more or less literally amounted to, “can I afford another Groslch”

Haha yep!

inkster
    Free Member

“It makes me wonder if the 1922 commission will quietly change the Tory party rules, so that their next leader will be chisen by the MPs instead of the party faithful. I could imagine it happening after Truss has lost the next election.”

Yep. It’s called the minority effect and I bang on about it on here from time to time, it’s where a small percentage get to decide an outcome regardless of the majority view. Same goes for Labour, the same effect gave us Corbyn.

To bring it back to the thread in question, the same minority effect occurred with the election of MEP’s, the elections for which had a very low turnout. As someone who was pro common market but sceptical towards the idea of a federal Europe, (still voted remain thoigh) I have to ask the question; would we be in this position if Europe hadn’t decided on this particular political path back in the 90’s?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Let’s try and keep this thread on target 🤷‍♂️

thols2

Useful thread on the logic of Putin using nukes. Basically, doesn’t work for him if NATO stays unified and doesn’t give in to intimidation.

funkrodent

Teleprinters starting to chatter about renewed offensive. The UA are attacking from the North East down the coastal road and have apparently taken the town of Oleksandrivka, which effectively opens up a push on Kherson itself from the East

Greybeard
    Free Member

The UA are attacking from the North East down the coastal road and have apparently taken the town of Oleksandrivka, which effectively opens up a push on Kherson itself from the East

I’m struggling to follow where that is – unless you mean West not East?

piemonster

funkrodent

Also, having sacked the commander of the Western District on Monday, Vlad the Invader has reportedly sacked the commander of the Eastern District today. But its all good because everything is going to plan..

funkrodent

I’m struggling to follow where that is – unless you mean West not East?

Yup, West not East. All fingers and thumbs me.

The article that I took the sackings info from states he just sacked the Eastern commander, but surely it’d be Western in Kherson?

DT78
    Free Member

I thought it had been quiet.

Been reading threads about russian nuke sub heading to the artic and speculation he is going to test his posidean torpedo as a bit of sabre rattling, hopefully just rubbish. But, you would expect a North Korea style “test” prior to using the real thing as a sort of final warning

matt_outandabout

Been reading threads about russian nuke sub heading to the artic and speculation he is going to test his posidean torpedo as a bit of sabre rattling, hopefully just rubbish.

One could hope that somehow the very large, irreplaceable sub accidently founders of its own accord*
    *Maybe just a touch of RN help with the process.

slowoldman

I had a sneaky suspicion an attack on Kherson from the West might be on the cards.

Viewing 40 posts - 12,281 through 12,320 (of 18,797 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.