Viewing 40 posts - 11,881 through 11,920 (of 18,786 total)
  • Ukraine
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

I sometimes wonder if the missing piece of the puzzle is that every civilisation destroys itself once it has the power to do so

Either that or, in the context of the thread, every civilisation hides its presence once it has realised what the nearby ‘civilisations’ will do when they find it. I’ve read SF on that theme but it would be a spoiler to give the title.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Which book?

tjagain

Its a common theme.

FB-ATB

Even Star Trek touched on it- Earth was known about by other species but until it had access to warp speed travel it was ignored for being “backward”

thols2

Oh dear, another careless smoking warning.

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh dear, another careless smoking warning.

Very satisfying!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Smoking kills

shermer75
    Free Member

stevedoc
    Free Member

Star trek touched on a lot of things as did the Orville.. ” anything other than a productive life to help the betterment of mankind is deemed a waste of your life ”

If only the worlds more powerful would realise this.. power greed wealth while 10s of thousands suffer daily.

Ive kept up with this tread daily as if offers more insite than just the normal media outlets, but I wish I hadn`t read that blog.

funkrodent

News coming through now that the RA is fleeing Kreminna. Kreminna sits due East of Lyman and was the supposed mustering point for RA out of Lyman.

It is another important objective as it controls the P66 highway South from Svatova (key, key logistics hub) that supplies RF forces in Severodonetsk. It also allows the UA to attack Severodonetsk from the North, completely flanking any defensive positions that RF ‘might’ have developed against any assaults from the South.

I’d suggest the RA is not far off a rabble now. If UA can keep this up they’ll take a swathe of territory that will make the Kharkiv offensive look like small beer.

And they’re still hitting Crimea because why not.

Interesting to see when Kherson cracks. Tens of thousands of RA troops – and all their gear – pretty much trapped on the wrong side of the river..

DT78
    Free Member

does anyone have a link to a map of the current situation, or where I can find the latest?

blokeuptheroad

does anyone have a link to a map of the current situation, or where I can find the latest?

There are lots of maps on Twitter, some more credible than others.  I find the ISW ones the best. This thread has some, but if you look at their feed there are lots more which are regularly updated.

dantsw13
    piemonster

Another one to look at, albeit with pinches of salt to hand

https://twitter.com/DefMon3?t=DYsbijnt6mwXvCAEVMgwdA&s=09

Searching for #Rybar will bring up copies of pro Russian maps.

piemonster

Whilst i was there

shermer75
    Free Member

This one gets updated more or less in real time

https://deepstatemap.live/en#10.5/49.0177/38.1744

dantsw13

It’s definitely a rabbit hole!!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Whilst i was there

Very strange! No-one seems to know what is going on there

thols2

Winners are grinners.

dantsw13

^^^^^Thats the official UA twitter feed, and they enjoy baiting the Russians!

piemonster

https://news.sky.com/story/released-ukrainian-prisoner-of-war-reveals-torment-at-the-hands-of-russians-12709279

Sky interview with one of the prisoner swapped survivors from Azovstal.

Another grim account.

Poopscoop

^^ Terrible read and I suspect far worse will be revealed in time.

I just don’t see Ukraine ever giving up the fight, whatever form it takes.

This is worth a read as it’s not just about the UA resisting Putin.

These people will just never be beaten.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63037713

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Eloquently put by Mr Wallace/MOD.

I’m pretty sure that article was not written by the eegit that said Putin had gone “full Tonto” and that “we kicked their backsides in the Crimea” and we’ll do it again.

piemonster

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/30/politics/lloyd-austin-putin-nuclear-saber-rattling-cnntv/index.html

“There are no checks on Mr. Putin. Just as he made the irresponsible decision to invade Ukraine, you know, he could make another decision. But I don’t see anything right now that would lead me to believe that he has made such a decision.”

Austin told Zakaria that he has privately conveyed to his Russian counterpart, Russian Minister of Defense Sergei Shoigu, not to “go down this path and conduct this type of irresponsible behavior.” Austin said he has not talked to Shoigo in “recent days” but said other members of US government leadership have conveyed similar messages to Russia “recently.”

Never thought id be posting thay on a Cycling forum.

timba
    Free Member

In response to UKR taking Lyman, Ramzan Kadyrov, leader of the Chechen Republic, said on Telegram, “In my personal opinion, more drastic measures should be taken, right up to the declaration of martial law in the border areas and the use of low-yield nuclear weapons”
    Kadyrov is well-known to Human Rights Watch, the UN, etc and as the leader of a federal republic of Russia is an ally rather than a major influencer. Analysts have suggested that the presence of Chechen forces is more psychological than militarily useful in Ukraine
    In all sorts of ways Lyman is psychologically and strategically important to both sides and is a natural precursor to Kreminna and Sievierodonetsk in the Luhansk Oblast of the Donbas region

timba
    Free Member

The pilots amongst you might be interested to know that Russia has failed to secure enough votes to stay on the International Civil Aviation Organization governing council.
    They were voted off for seizing aircraft leased to Russian airlines, dual registration of those aircraft and bombing airports

shermer75
    Free Member

They were voted off for seizing aircraft leased to Russian airlines, dual registration of those aircraft and bombing airports

Sounds reasonable to me!

DT78
    Free Member

Have they been voted off the UN council yet?

timba
    Free Member

Have they been voted off the UN council yet?

They were suspended from the Human Rights council in April and ICAO is a UN agency, so maybe that’s a start.
    As of a couple of days ago they were merrily using their veto to stop a motion that its referenda in “their” Ukrainian territory was illegal and invalid. The UN finally worked out a way around this in April, so the veto will be voted on https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/04/1116982
    For a more permanent solution there’s a guide here..,. https://cepa.org/article/expelling-russia-from-the-un-security-council-a-how-to-guide/

thols2

This movie has all the makings of a cult classic.

somafunk

I knew Ron Jeremy was an absolute douche but to see him in that first pic with a swastika drawn on by a sharpie was a surprise

mattyfez

I knew Ron Jeremy was an absolute douche but to see him in that first pic with a swastika drawn on by a sharpie was a surprise

Those ‘tattoos’… really…lol

matt_outandabout

What was the reaction when Russia shot down a civil airliner full of people?

timba
    Free Member

TLDR: Nothing yet

The case was handed to a Dutch team who in 2015 proposed an international tribunal. Jaw-droppingly, Russia vetoed the UN resolution for the prosecution tribunal. It’s worth noting at this point that the UN has had resolutions vetoed 266 times since 1946, 122 by the USSR/Russia and the balance of 144 by the other four permanent members
    The Dutch team charged four main suspects in 2019 to appear at the European Court of Human Rights, one was Igor Girkin/Strelkov whose name has popped up on this thread a few times.
    Russia has a policy of not extraditing Russian citizens and the ECHR is expected to give a verdict on the murder charges this year in their absence

piemonster

Hopefully that happens as claimed

Seems to be on Tass too https://tass.com/world/1516589

hatter

Russia were able to muddy the water just enough and because they controlled the area where all the evidence was they were able to obstruct the investigation just long enough for the global conversation to move on.

Not that they’re not guilty as sin though, I’d recommend the Bellingcat podcast series on the downing of flight MH17 if you want to see the depths of cynicism the Russians were prepared to go to regarding it.

timba
    Free Member

Hopefully that happens as claimed

This was announced by Chancellor Scholtz on 1st June. One unit to be delivered per Twitter and three more to follow

piemonster

No, I dont know for sure. Theres a few outlandish rumours seemingly kicking about.

dantsw13

Lots of sources suggesting the Northern end of the Kherson front line (The bit west of the Dniepr River) has be3n smashed & pushed back 30km today.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,881 through 11,920 (of 18,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.