Viewing 40 posts - 10,161 through 10,200 (of 12,237 total)
  • Ukraine
  • timba
    Free Member

Robot dog in ninja kit (that wouldn’t be to disguise it’s toy-origin, would it?)
    https://uk.pcmag.com/news/142089/russian-army-expo-shows-off-robot-dog-carrying-rocket-launcher
    Various aerial and undersea drones on offer, but none seem to have hit production yet 🤔

thols2
    Free Member

kimbers

Holiday season is definitely over in Crimea

I wonder if this news reaches Russian troops on the front lines in South & East of Ukraine?

Must be demoralising to know that support & supplies in the rear are being destroyed

funkrodent

Judging by the trajectory of the rockets cooking off, I don’t know if I’d want to be that close

You’re not wrong! Whoever filmed that is well within the line of fire. Then again, they say that if you can see the arc of flight then it’s not going to hit you..

piemonster

Small print in the T72 sales contract – “Explosive Reactive Armour, may not contain actual explosive – but may be replaced with rubber, at the vendors discretion”. Always read the small print 😉

NERA Non Explosive Reactive Armour is what you want to Google

scruffywelder
    Free Member

That’s the key part. You can have all the tech in the world but if your biological element isn’t trained, motivated & disciplined then you’re on the backfoot.

Could be wrong but ISTR Norman Schwartzkopf saying much the same after Desert Storm ie that the Coalition forces could have swapped hardware with the Iraqi army and the outcome wouldn’t have changed because of the relative levels of training and morale.

martinhutch

Whoever filmed that is well within the line of fire

Whole new meaning to instabanger.

kimbers

That ammo dump hit also set off a fire at an electricity substation

dissonance

Im not really sure how much the invasion of Ukraine will really affect Russias arms sales beyond inability to supply because of the war in Ukraine.

They have been fairly successful at selling some of their air defence equipment.
    Turkey might be regretting its purchase considering it lost out on F-35s to get the S-400s which dont seem to be performing too well to date.
    They were hoping to sell the T-14 tank as well although that has been forever slipping in due date. As a potential customer I would be asking why the handful of active ones werent deployed to show how good their defences against modern antitank weapons are.
    Their aircraft arent performing too well either especially the modern attack helicopters.
    If I was India for example I would be considering what other options are available.

thols2
    Free Member

Is this a new attack on a different airfield?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The Wikipedia page for NERA – the description doesn’t really fit what was found on the Russian T72 in Ukraine. Namely a composite sandwich glued together. The filmed examples were loosely placed rubber sheets in metal boxes, and don’t look convincingly effective, judging by the 1000 or so tanks lost so far 🤷‍♂️

slowoldman

TASS reporting sabotage. Nobody was seriously hurt Yeah, right.

thols2
    Free Member

The Ukrainian government are saying it was a special forces operation, but I suspect that is just to mess with the Russians. Probably less embarrassing for Russia to say it was saboteurs than to admit that their air defense can’t protect them.

kimbers

That new airbase hit, if true (no videos or pictures yet)

is very far from Ukranian positions

thisisnotaspoon

but what’s going on in occupied Crimea

thols2
    Free Member

Quick work by Russia, let’s see if there’s a quick confession and prosecution.

dissonance

Quick work by Russia, let’s see if there’s a quick confession and prosecution.

Any copies of the sims computer game this time?
    Or are the Wagner group going to be annoyed about their house getting trashed?

thols2
    Free Member

How do I nominate this for documentary of the year?

https://twitter.com/na_intel/status/1559519991120232449

piemonster

Its probably closer to the truth than undercover Nazis carrying a bunch of Nazi stuff on a mission.

Just replace the flying cigar for a drone/missile.

swamp_boy

The Russian robot dog makes a change from using real ones to blow up tanks
    Potentially disturbing content

thols2
    Free Member

Christ, swamp_boys link is both horrific and hilarious.

timba
    Free Member

Quick side-step, but dolphins may appear to clear mines from Ukraine’s ports. Both the US and Soviet Union have used them although the Soviet programme was cancelled when the Union dissolved.
    The US still has a mixed fleet of around 100 dolphins and sea lions
    One of Russia’s trained Beluga whales went AWOL (AWHALE?) to Turkey in 1991 and again in 1992
    As recently as January, Hamas alleged that Israel was using killer dolphins equipped with harpoons. Killer dolphins has been alleged, but never proven, against all of the cetacean nations at some point

timba
    Free Member

Worryingly the UN seems to be getting battle-weary. Countries aren’t proposing additional moves that they might lose because of increasing numbers of abstentions, which is despite Russia having its power to veto removed in April

timba
    Free Member

Russia is moving away from the careless smoker narrative and is acknowledging that sabotage is a cause. It’s a significant admission that Ukrainian sympathisers (SF?) are operating in Russian-controlled Crimea and one that the UKR is neither admitting nor denying as “demilitarisation in action”

piemonster

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62564122

If accurate, thats 1 in 8 of the Russian Jewish community having already left Russia since March

timba
    Free Member

A Russian soldier’s view… https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/17/i-dont-see-justice-in-this-war-russian-soldier-exposes-rot-at-core-of-ukraine-invasion
    The head of the Black Sea Fleet rolled yesterday after the attacks on the Crimea

thols2
    Free Member

If even a fraction of that Russian’s story is true, it’s pretty grim.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Another ammo dump in Belgorod bites the the dust.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Another Crimean airbase too and another ammo dump inside Russia – busy night 👍

funkrodent

More explosions above/in/around Crimea again tonight too. Keeping the Russians on their toes.

Also a story from our favourite surname-for-a-first name war studies professor. Seems the US are training UA pilots on their planes, albeit not the ones most people would have thought..

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1560710544734228482?cxt=HHwWhMC4gZb-4KgrAAAA

nixie

Link is dead but A10?

kimbers

As I understand it A10s don’t fly fast enough to evade modern manpads ?

As I understand it A10s don’t fly fast enough to evade modern manpads ?

Neither do helicopters, that’s where tactics and defensive aide suites come in.

kimbers

kimbers

shermer75
    Free Member

What are we looking at in that 1st video? Surface to air missiles? Shooting at Ukraine air force?

Poopscoop

^^ Was going to ask the same question?
    UA helicopter being fired upon from the ground?

Incredibly bold of Ukraine if so.

nixie

More likely a drone isn’t it.

kimbers

I’d guess drone, possibly himars

Either way residents of Crimea will now be b thinking war has come to them

Even if from a military perspective Ukraine currently could never retake Crimea, it’s destabilising and demoralising for Russians

ElShalimo

Those poor Russian travel agents having to give our refunds…

Viewing 40 posts - 10,161 through 10,200 (of 12,237 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.