Viewing 40 posts - 9,321 through 9,360 (of 10,121 total)
  • Ukraine
  • Premier Icon stevedoc
    Free Member

More like the EU is worried that the Baltic fleet might start something dragging everyone in to the mire . Or the fact the unhinged prat has a red button.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Free Member

Putin would like to piss about with the Baltic Fleet near Lithuania as a distraction technique so the EU focuses more on this and less on Ukraine, this removes some of his pretext for doing it. I very much doubt there is any political will in Belarus to even threaten the border. There certainly aren’t likely to be the resources for anything meaningful.

Premier Icon kimbers

Wow

Premier Icon bentandbroken

Meanwhile a Ukrainian spokesman stated that Ukrainian forces have driven Russian forces off the island

Premier Icon dissonance

Apparently its a gesture of goodwill by the Russians.
    I guess they added very quietly “to our soldiers who were sitting ducks”.

Premier Icon spacemonkey
    Free Member

I see Bernie Ecclestone is sticking up for his old chum Vlad.

He really is a vile individual, stating he’s a “first class person” and “I would take a bullet for him”.

The pair have history, with BE previously stating in 2016 that Vlad should run Europe.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

nice if vlad was to take him at his word, hand him an AK “off you go get too it”

Premier Icon rickmeister

Is Igor the Russian version of Chemical Ali ?
    If the Ukranians could threaten and take out the Crimea bridge near Kerch that would really be a game changer.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

I don’t really see how Putin has more leverage in the Kaliningrad situation

Oil and gas

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Meanwhile a Ukrainian spokesman stated that Ukrainian forces have driven Russian forces off the island

This sounds significant to me, my understanding was that this island has been fiercely fought over due to it’s strategic value- as in the Russians wanted to use it as a platform to lob missiles at Ukraine since their other missile lobbing platform, the Mockba, was sunk by Ukrainian forces (or set fire to itself and sunk in a phantom storm, depending on who you believe..)

Premier Icon pk13

Replacement radar station was allegedly put back on the island after Ukraine destroyed the last on, the new one got hit and blown up so Russia have given up on the island.
    OR Russia gave it up as a gesture of good will. A bit like not hitting that shopping centre.

Premier Icon slowoldman

It’s just to show to their African supporters that they’re not the ones stopping grain exports. Honest Guv. Now how will Ukraine export grain from the East of the country? Oh I forgot, they don’t need to, Russia will do it for them.

Premier Icon airvent
    Free Member

Belarussian citizens have started receiving conscription notices, local news outlet Zerkalo reported on June 30.

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

Worth staying with it for the last line.

Premier Icon thols2
    Free Member

If this is true, it sounds like Russia is getting desperate.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Free Member

Nothing says ‘special military operation’ like putting your entire economy on a war footing.

Belarussian citizens have started receiving conscription notices

And Poland has conveniently just finished 115 miles of border wall in record time. Poor buggers – off to the Donbas meat grinder you go.

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Beeb showing Ukraine army being trained in the UK.
    Looks like Salisbury plain and towed artillery.
    Hopefully yet another reason to show Putin that he really has underestimated both the Ukrainian armed forces and the rest of Europes willingness to help.

I do worry about escalation though.

Premier Icon pk13

Belarussian folk seam to know the score that if they get sent badly trained with less than upto date arms it’s going to be brutal for them.
    More chance of a internal leadership battle if Lukashenko pushes his luck on Ukraine, Russia won’t back him up with troops this time as let’s be frank Putin has slaughtered 35thou of his own army personnel.

Premier Icon dissonance

Belarussian citizens have started receiving conscription notices,

Thats Belarus where the current leader is only in power because the Russians backed him up with troops?
    So the threat is now massively reduced and they are going to equip those generally not overly keen on the glorious leader citizens with firearms and ask them to go and fight for him?

Cant see any flaws in that plan.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

Thats assuming it is a plan, and they havent just faked it, sent a limited number to try and draw Ukrainian forces away from the east.

Maybe, ive no idea obvs

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

Thats assuming it is a plan, and they havent just faked it, sent a limited number to try and draw Ukrainian forces away from the east.

You are getting ahead of things, this is just letters. I haven’t heard that any Belarussian army have been used yet in Ukraine, but maybe it happened.

I interpret it as Lukashenko doing the minimum he can to keep Vlad happy-ish. He is between a rock and a hard place here (I said this a few dozen pages up there^).

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Beeb showing Ukraine army being trained in the UK.
    Looks like Salisbury plain and towed artillery.

Almost like a Ukrainian plain….

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

You are getting ahead of things, this is just letters. I haven’t heard that any Belarussian army have been used yet in Ukraine, but maybe it happened.

I think youve misread me here.

Im suggesting its just a ruse and that itll stop at just letters.

Besides, Belarussians definitely are fighting in Ukraine, albeit actually on the Ukrainian side.

Premier Icon tagnut69
    Free Member

Would it be a leap of fantasy to think that Belarus could pick up arms with Ukraine against the Russians

Premier Icon jkomo

We have made contact with a food bank in Odessa, they are running very low in supplies.
    Although we’ve linked them up with the drivers network we have only had one delivery get there. There is food they can buy to give away but they need funds. They are looking after a lot of internally displaced people from Mariupol etc.

I’ll put a link up in case anyone wants to get involved and help them.
    https://onthewave.com.ua/en/home-en/

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Would it be a leap of fantasy to think that Belarus could pick up arms with Ukraine against the Russians

I fear it would, but given the unrest in Belarus a year or two back, if Risiian forces are concentrating on eastern Ukraine I could see the Belarusian forces/public taking the opportunity to refuse to support Russian demands to get involved and maybe overthrowing their little dictator.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Free Member

It would certainly be quite some outcome if Putin gains over 1300km of borders with NATO and loses Belarus.

Im not prepared for that level of wishful thinking, and im not sure how much work would be needed for Belarus to successfully navigate away from what appears to me to be a dictatorship of its own.

Premier Icon timba
    Free Member

Belarus upping the ante with an unsubstantiated claim https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/lukashenko-says-belarus-intercepted-attempted-missile-strikes-by-ukraine-belta-2022-07-02/
    Who knows whether it’s to justify the call up, or to split UKR forces, or…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Later in that article “Lukashenko” claims that no Belarusian troops are fighting in the “special operation”.
    I wouldn’t believe a word said by “him”.

False flags, confirmation of the Belarus story or something else….?

BBC News – Deadly blasts hit Russian border city
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62025541

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

Unfortunately I suspect it’s an escalation in the conflict, and one that risks losing support for Ukraine from the international community

Premier Icon zippykona

I really can’t see an overstretched army opening a new front
    Russia are more than happy to bomb their own.
    Hopefully russian involvement can be proven and the population turn.

Premier Icon kimbers

Unfortunately I suspect it’s an escalation in the conflict, and one that risks losing support for Ukraine from the international community

I’m not sure that Ukraine hitting a Russian city after Russia spending 3 months killing & displacing millions and pounding eastern Ukrainian cities into rubble will result in any loss of support

I’m not sure that Ukraine hitting a Russian city after Russia spending 3 months killing & displacing millions and pounding eastern Ukrainian cities into rubble will result in any loss of support

You forget that probably 50% of the world population are seeing this war reported through a very different lens. There is no military or propaganda points to be won by Ukraine targeting civilian targets on Russian soil.

Premier Icon mrdestructo

This is going to be more than Ukraine unless that cancer-addled madman is put in an early grave.

Prior to the war, notes were seen about leeching Ukraine of all its crops and trees to finance its occupying army. Now they have raised most cities, made the buildings condemned for living in, and are stealing what grain they can.

That grain and oil not getting where it’s supposed to go is going to leave tens of millions starving. Hundreds of millions unable to fully feed themselves. Covid is still everywhere. Other health crises compounding.

Lots of people I’ve spoken to in China say they aren’t officially friends with Russia. But then the people’s voices don’t count when it comes to this sort of thing. I bet China fears sanctions because they haven’t put their second favorite nancial stream track in place yet (isolationism) Plenty of bitching here recently though because fuel at the pumps went up to £1.11/litre. Household electricity and natural gas hasn’t gone up. I’d say monthly shops in supermarkets are increasing. Interestingly, pasta runs out and isn’t being replaced. Also, many ranges with lower profit margins aren’t being replaced on the shelves. I have a feeling it’s not just about sourcing stock, but about pushing products with higher profit margins.

Premier Icon munkyboy
    Free Member

Just me or does it feel like Russia are going to grind out a victory across Ukraine in the long term?

Premier Icon Caher

They won’t have an army left.

Premier Icon wheeliedirty
    Free Member

Just me or does it feel like Russia are going to grind out a victory across Ukraine in the long term?

Interesting thread on twitter

Premier Icon chewkw
    Free Member

@mrdestructo

I’d say monthly shops in supermarkets are increasing. Interestingly, pasta runs out and isn’t being replaced. Also, many ranges with lower profit margins aren’t being replaced on the shelves. I have a feeling it’s not just about sourcing stock, but about pushing products with higher profit margins.

On average price in SE Asia has gone up by 30% to 60% in some countries due to transportation cost and fuel price increase. One country has even banned the export of cooking oil to cater for domestic usage only and to keep down cost. Think of it this way, when all the developing / 3rd world countries stop exporting that’s when you see increase in food shortage. However, most developing / 3rd world countries can feed themselves to some extend but there will be some that will suffer especially where their agricultural sector is not that organised or advanced. One thing that tilts in favour of those countries is land for cultivation.

As I said at the start of the war/invasion, sanctions would not stop the conflict but would only hurt everyone or countries not involved. Some countries are already started to voice neutrality but what the world does not understand is that, when they start to voice “neutrality” they are definitely Not siding the West in private. When their governments start to voice concerns on price increase, that’s where food export diminishes to cater for domestic consumption and that’s when you see Western system comes under pressure. i.e. there will be more frequent government change due uncontrolled inflation and when that happens there will be no continuity of long term objective other than short term goal. More frequent government change until such time they come to realization that sanction hurts everyone including themselves and perhaps more.

I will not be surprised if food shortage becomes more apparent and that’s where society become unstable. It might not happen yet but the longer the conflict is prolonged, the more obvious it will be. You can still buy food but at inflated price.

They won’t have an army left.

That’s what Hitler once said.

Until the conflict ends Ukraine has no victory whatsoever. Russia will throw everything at this conflict because whoever controls Ukraine “controls” the world, and the west knows it.

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 9,321 through 9,360 (of 10,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.